37 replies to this topic

#31 On tilt

On tilt

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 08:52 PM

Hi, awesome job on rocky a real credit to you. I have a question about your windows, did you make them up yourself? And are they glued on rather than screwed. They look real good and thinking about doing the same.
Cheers Andy

#32 Willow

Willow

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,260 posts
  • LocationTauranga

Posted 20 April 2014 - 09:08 PM

Hi Andy, we got the material from a friend and cut them out ourselves using a jig saw with a fine blade and then sanded the edges. They don't have screws we just used a thin piece of high strength 3m double sided tape on the inside edge to hold the window in place while the glazing mastic cured. We used simpson brand glazing mastic that came with a primer to. there is a good thread somewhere on this site going into more detail.

Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

Theodore Roosevelt

#33 On tilt

On tilt

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 11:25 PM

Yeah the windows look good, ill do it that way for sure when I do a number on Gaucho.
I'll find that tread and have a read. Cheers

#34 dkd

dkd

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 05:59 PM

Hi Willow,

Love the windows and am almost at that stage too .... has to be better than screws/nuts and bolts and much more visually pleasing

If you or Andy have the earlier thread, please put details up somewhere or drop me a pm.

Rocky looks good.

david
Judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement.
Simon Bolivar

#35 Willow

Willow

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,260 posts
  • LocationTauranga

Posted 21 April 2014 - 06:07 PM

Thanks we are pleased with them, what really sold me on the idea of doing without the screws was trying to remove the old ones. Even with the screws removed we had to hammer a scrapper between the window and the cabin top all the way along to get them off, there was no way they would pop off.

Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

Theodore Roosevelt

#36 On tilt

On tilt

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 09:51 PM

Hi Willow,

Love the windows and am almost at that stage too .... has to be better than screws/nuts and bolts and much more visually pleasing

If you or Andy have the earlier thread, please put details up somewhere or drop me a pm.

Rocky looks good.

david

Hi David here is the link to that window fitting thread, if it doesn't work just type in marine windows in the search of this website and it should come up, plenty of info cheers Andy
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=11389&start=50

#37 Willow

Willow

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,260 posts
  • LocationTauranga

Posted 09 July 2015 - 04:42 PM

Attached File  IMG_5896.JPG   307KB   3 downloadsThought you lot might like this photo from last Sunday, very nice 35 knot breeze. Shame no-one got a photo when we had the Gennaker up.

Theodore Roosevelt

#38 Willow

Willow

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,260 posts
  • LocationTauranga

Posted 18 May 2016 - 02:39 PM

Rocky now regrettably for sale see the classified ad.

Theodore Roosevelt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users