Big Fish

Now I'm knot usually one to praise much about fizz nasties but we've been doing some trick bits for McMullen and Wings latest beast the 45mt Big Fish so had a chance to give her a good sussing. We've developed a new rope fitting and besides looking 'superboat flash' works even better than expected. We 1st did them for Ermis and they worked so well we tweaked them a bit more and now fitting them to this boat. Yes I'm a tad excited about now...... and relieved they came up so well. There was a little bit of nervous 'will they or won't they' style twitching going on 1st thing this morning. No more big yucky tricky to do to the mm splices being visually just knot quite right on the finished boat.

Anyway hows this. Loaded weight of late 400 tonnes, just under the 500 which usually requires a Pilot in many ports, nice thinking there. 90,000 kilos of fuel when chocker, to which one may say Ouch. But with one tank of gas, diesel to be precise, she can circumnavigate the world. Powered by twin 1000hp Cats throwing large props so has a extended cruising speed of 12 knots at only around 70lts and hour all up. In this fossil fuel worried world this big beast is verging on being a 'green boat', I think it's very very green when talking similar vessels. Apparently a lot of work went into getting her so 'green' and looks to have paid off.

She also features stone decks, no teak to be seen.

Fold out Terraces and most of the stern folds down to create what they are calling a beach. Knot quite a golden sand one but it does make one huge semi-wrap around platform aft, quite trick really.

Steel hull with alloy superstructure and very nicely finished. Inside it's quite open and light. Beautiful kitchen/ breakfast bar type area with nearly ceiling to floor glass. A 'garage' in the bow that holds a 9mt tender and a big crane to move it with. The whole foredeck raises on hydraulic rams so they can get to the tender. Nice light coloured timber work inside rather than the old school dark stuff. Other fancy stuff like each interior step has lights in it, which can change colour, yet they don't look tacky, as a lot of some super boat interiors do, to me anyway.

Owners suite plus 4 staterooms that can be tweaked to get 2 massive staterooms. And a few rather flash crew cabins. A 'sports room' with gym and alsorts of stuff. She's knot shy of trick bits or amenities that's for sure.

I must say I'm relatively impressed with her really. Still a stinker but at least knot a gas guzzling tackily decorated same ol same ol. She's been built to do business knot just a look pretty penis replacement. The word is 58 million but that's the waterfront. Reality could be quite different... or maybe knot. I think only a few people will know the real cost and it'll stay that way.

And what's more the owners just signed up M&W for another, this time 50mts. She'll be along the same lines and tentatively called Star Fish. Go hard M&W, well done team. Mind you it's knot surprising when the owners of M&W were aboard this Sunday morning make sure it's all coming together right. That's hands on management at it's finest and is obviously paying off for them.

Would I buy one if I had the coin? Nope, I just don't see the need and value in things like that. Besides they aren't the sort of vessel you can grab ya missus and slide off the the Bottom end for a night of naked filth without hours of prep and a decent sized crew. A 930 mightn't be quite so flash but does have advantages boats like Big Fish don't :)

I've got you thinking about that perspex again haven't I Murky :lol: :lol:

Oh yes, she's a stunner. The workmanships is outstanding. And although I don't know the guy, the chief honcho seems a really nice guy and all I can say is, it couldn't be better for such a seemingly great firm. I wish them all the best for the future.

She also features stone decks, no teak to be seen.

That interesting.. (probably heated..?). But is it heavy? or not worth worrying about i suppose when the machine is 400 odd tonnes.

Would it work on the piedy...? :lol:

I'm heading back as soon as one of the lads finishes a string so will take camera.

The 'stone' looks a bit 'composite' like as in knot cut from a slab of stone as such more like a particle board type construction. Knot heated as far as I know or could see. Around 20-30mm thick. The idea being it is stiletto heel proof. Yes it's bound to have added a fair bit of weight as it's inside in areas as well. Looks good though and should wear real sweet. I quite like the idea as when you usually hop on boats like this there is alsorts of shoes off, covers and so on dramas to look after the Teak. On this it's just go hard as the deck is harder.

I'd like to tell you Paul but then I may have to kill you. Basically a semi-swage type fitting you can terminate a rope just like wire. It seems superboats are going off wire in favour of the vastly better colour range of ropes.

The deck is sliced real Granite which has been blasted to get a real good non-skid.

One close up of the stuff with drain holes sliced in. One of the monster foredeck..... which just about all of it lifts up to show the garage with 9mt tender below. I was standing in the belly of a 747 a few weeks back and standing in the BF garage with the roof closed was almost identical in atmosphere.

The more I see it the more I like this deck stuff. It is quite cunning really. Word is only approx 30% increase in weight over using Teak.

post-646-141887160753.jpg

post-646-141887160755.jpg

And here's the beast itself.

Down aft you can see part of the "beach' 1/2 folded down (bit close to dock to go the whole way). Midships you can see the fold out Terrace. Same is on both sides. It is cool standing out the side.

Just inside those 6 square windows is a real honey of a spot inside. Kitchen/breakfast area. Inside looking out is way better than the other way around.

It's one of those boats that just doesn't show off some of it's real good stuff unless you are close or inside.

post-646-141887160757.jpg

In the tropics you will be able to just cook your steak or seafood on any part of the deck, there will be spontaneous barbies happening right left and centre. 8)

I was standing in the belly of a 747 a few weeks back

Buy a ticket and you can ride in the cabin with the other punters, you might even get to like it.

I did suggest that and was told it's been sussed and should be less drama than Teak. But we were on the Waipa Delta a few weeks back where they cook on stones. Hmmmmm... a we'll see maybe?

Yeah I thought the ticket for return airfare for $2 'with conditions' was a tad too cheap for a reason. No worries though, there were a few Labour MP's was on the same plane so I rummaged their bags. I found hours of viewing of some sort of mixed naked wrestling, a bag that was chocker with food, another full of 'Blow Up Brians' and promo pamphlets for Rav4's. Along with piles of receipts made out to Parliamentary Services :?

In the tropics you will be able to just cook your steak or seafood on any part of the deck, there will be spontaneous barbies happening right left and centre.

Yea true.. heated floors pfft who was i kidding - that thing aint going to be hanging round akl :roll:

Very cool tho KM. Looks like the trying to copy my grey non skid :lol:

Yeah I thought the ticket for return airfare for $2 'with conditions' was a tad too cheap for a reason. No worries though, there were a few Labour MP's was on the same plane so I rummaged their bags. I found hours of viewing of some sort of mixed naked wrestling, a bag that was chocker with food, another full of 'Blow Up Brians' and promo pamphlets for Rav4's. Along with piles of receipts made out to Parliamentary Services :?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Very topical KM.

Archived