Safety Inspections for foreign flagged boats

STUPID RULES.

(I got pinged here in OZ for not having a 9 KG fire extinguisher, ...because I had extra fuel diesel above decks in Jerry cans as a mercy mission for another boat....I had passed the fuel limit in our rules.....ever tried to swing 9 KGs in a sea ?..dumb number one......my partner is little and she is not very strong.....dumb number two.....we had three smaller (and usable new fire extinguishers on board).....dumb number three.

10litre bucket with 9litres of water is a 9kg fully user serviceable fire extinguisher - well you could try that on...

10litre bucket with 9litres of water is a 9kg fully user serviceable fire extinguisher - well you could try that on...

....would be worth a try except.......

our rules say we have to have one of those on board as well !!

I thought about "presurised fire extinguisher"..........but I dont think I could drink or hold that much without damage......

Just had a interesting chat with an Official about some stuff and it turned to to Sean on the boat Alexander and his leaving issues.

That part of the chat included the line "we expected a backlash but all the comments we got were all supportive of our actions except for one'.

None of those, one of the other mob that's in with things like that but it doesn't matter anyway, Sean is done and dusted as far as they are concerned.

The key point is a group of Govt officials do seem to be well aware of what could have happen but it seems like it didn't. I don't know how detailed they have to get in any debrief but if asked they can say 'Nope, there was no bitching'.

Add that to the comment earlier by an other official like person someone posted and I think we are seeing more, all be it tiny at this stage, nails being banged into the coffin.

Sadly apart from sites like this yachties generally have no voice, they are a disparate group and are generally seen by the great unwashed as either rich pricks or aged hippies bludgeing their way around the world.

Ah - excuse me - Yachting New Zealand?

Bar the MIA standing up and saying 'Oui, we like the money they hand over when getting work done', which it does and has done on many occasions, Ogre is sadly quite right.

But to address Steves post I think I'm going to have to say I thought similar myself but a few things I've seen/heard over the last couple of years may suggest there is a growing number who can differentiate the 'rich pricks' from the 'Ma and Pa out there doing on a budget'. Sadly that growing number is still a tiny % of the public but something is better than nothing. I think the growing awareness of NZ's superboat building/refitting industry has opened the eyes of some non-boaters to the difference between rich and average.

I spoke with YNZ today. They are of the opinion that MNZ is not interested really, but in light of a couple of high profile recent incidents they were asked about it (by pollies???). But didn't take the bait.

YNZ have regular meetings with MNZ and at the next one will make it known that any move in this direction would provoke a strong reaction.

The closest I know of in Noonsite. http://www.noonsite.com/ Look under countries.

That being said, I've never had a safety inspection by any country, except NZ when leaving - in a NZ reg vessel. The only issue we had was Singapore - where, once there, you were not allowed to leave the marina (unless leaving the country) without a local power boat licence! Also, you must have an AIS transponder or you are not welcome in Singapore waters at all.... Easier to just go to Malaysia!

Holding tanks are mandated in quite a few places now. Even in some places where there is no local treatment! Many cruisers have them, but often they have never been used!

It's normal in most countries to be asked for the ships papers, and often, if in a marina, for proof of insurance. Never been asked for Qualifications.., but do carry a copy.

Several friends cruising, esp in Turkey, have had officials come aboard and wire the through hull seacocks for the blackwater shut, with a seal. I do believe that this is one particular area of Turkey...

Paperwork and restrictions are becoming more and more of an issue, good reason to go cruising now, while it's still possible.

I think you'll find such a list impossible to find, and, if these inspections became an issue, they would be reported on noonsite...

YNZ doesn't represent sailors, they represent yacht clubs, and only NZ ones, thus people arriving in NZ on sailboats have no voice.

Get real! YNZ only represent Auckland yacht clubs.

Archived