PLB registering

DrWatson

Not sure if this should be here or in Tech Talk,

I've got my PLB (McMurdo quick find with GPS) here with me and it's registered in NZ.

I'm heading into the Arctic for 3 weeks in July (tramping not sailing) and just wondered if I should re-register it with local authorities, or, as it's a global thing, is it ok to keep it registered with NZ SAR?

I mean I guess if I need it and pull the pin, whomever picks up the signal will call NZ SAR and they'll in turn call my nominated contacts (who'll hopefully remember that I'm tramping and not send the SAR looking for my yacht in the middle of the arctic tundra.)

In one way it makes sense to register it locally, but at the same time, I will be coming back to NZ permanently at sometime, and the system works globally, no?

R

The NZ EPIRB Registration site has a lot of good information including the ability for you to update / edit your registration contact details. You can do this online and then at any subsequent time, change / update your info as desired.

Warning: MAKE SURE YOU CHECK THEIR INFORMATION CAREFULLY.

I gave them a big blast a while ago, (Last year?).

I changed details on one EPIRB (GPS) beacon on line and the email sent automatically back was fine.

HOWEVER, THE INFORMATION WAS THEN MANUALLY RE-TYPED INTO THE MAIN DATABASE.

GUESS WHAT HAPPENED.

Oh no!! you guessed right.

6 major ERRORS occurred; wrong numbers allocated e.g. my wife's mobile was now my brothers and other contact numbers and DATA "shifted" around.

This was only discovered when I wanted a "certified/official" copy for the "ship's papers" files and for a race entry / Safety Inspection. How do you "PROVE" you beacon is registered for Cat 3. Safety Regulation 18.6 (page 77 YNZ book)

So yes I was VERY VERY annoyed because somebody somewhere was playing with my life (potentially) and was not accountable. I had done my best filling in the information in the correct boxes, and had CAREFULLY checked the automatic email confirmation.

What went wrong was the govermental system . . . re-typing the infomation about 2 weeks later!!!!!!.

I suggested that their systems needed improvements ASAP and I can only hope that has happened, no more errors being made.

However, CHECK THEIR DATA.

Having written this, I think I will just get all the beacons I'm involved with, data and contacts checked again.

We only VOTE for them, but can you trust them with your life?

(or as in this past week, their use of a credit card you pay for!)

Yachting is only PREPARATION, PREPARATION & PREPARATION, UNTIL YOU CAST OFF, WHEN NOTHING ELSE NEEDS TO BE DONE.

Feeling really good now that I have had a good rant to start the week but hopefully warned and helped a few fellow sailors.

I've got my PLB (McMurdo quick find with GPS) here with me and it's registered in NZ.

I'm heading into the Arctic for 3 weeks in July (tramping not sailing) and just wondered if I should re-register it with local authorities, or, as it's a global thing, is it ok to keep it registered with NZ SAR?

I mean I guess if I need it and pull the pin, whomever picks up the signal will call NZ SAR and they'll in turn call my nominated contacts (who'll hopefully remember that I'm tramping and not send the SAR looking for my yacht in the middle of the arctic tundra.)

In one way it makes sense to register it locally, but at the same time, I will be coming back to NZ permanently at sometime, and the system works globally, no?

R

You might find you can't change the country of registration anyway.

As I understand it Epirbs sold in some 'areas' cannot be re-registered in other 'areas'.

So your epirb sold in NZ can't be transfered to an Euro SAR base?

E.g. we have a French one that can't be transfered to NZ

R

I would assume that you register it in the country that you are a citizen/passport holder.

I bought a yacht in Oz with a Oz registered 406 on board and i changed it to NZ registration without a problem.

Leave it registered as is but make sure all your next of kin details are up to date.

If used, the PLB will notify the local area, and NZ.

If you are organised and want to be careful, fill out a 10 Minute form before you go with itinery, contacts up there etc and lodge it.

Paul were did you check your details as I had a look on the registration site and didn't see anything there but maybe just not looking clearly.

Maritime NZ

Rescue Coordination Centre New Zealand

PO Box 30050, Lower Hutt 5040

Fax: +64 4 577 8041

Email: 406registry@maritimenz.govt.nz

Phone: +64 4 577 8033 or 0800 406 111

or 0508 406 111

I've just searched my old emails but can only find replies. So I must have phoned them on their free phones.

I was wanting "proof" that we were registered for SSANZ Simrad 100 Third Race2009 and we had borrowed a plain 406 beacon for that. About the same time I also had purchased two 406 GPS beacons and was registering that for myself and another yacht for the Coastal Classic.

In either event, I was wanting proof that both beacons were correctly registered.

I received a nice Letter / Certificate in PDF format.

One of the problems is the Privacy Law, that the same "vessel" data is required by many people including YachtingNZ, MSA 406 Registation, Seach & Rescue, various yacht clubs, marina operators, VHF registration, MMSI numbers for DSC on VHF's, Harbourmasters, Police, Coastguard etc, before you even approach the SSB and ship registration, customs, MAF, Immigration etc if intending to go overseas.

BUT and its the BIG BUT, they cannot share this info as they all have their own databases, each with some but not all of your information, so not everything is common nor current.

What??? You want a picture of the boat for SAR as well??

In a rescue situation, all you really want is "HELP ASAP". However

they cannot legally and cannot practically share your common information.

So errors, differences, outdated information exist throughout the different systems. Registraion would NOT solve this either.

So good luck.

Archived