Crew.org.nz Fishing Trip

7 DAY FISHING TRIP - WIVES WELCOME

Be in quick whilst the last Autumn months are still with us

Hi all you guys and gals.

I am planning a fishing excursion to Stewart Island next week.

This is not a normal fishing boat jaunt. This is 5-star stuff.

All gear, food, booze, supplied. The works!

Relax in the spa pool and watch the sun set over Mount Anglem.

Then gather around the piano and the well-stocked bar for an evening of romantic something.

Expressions of interest are invited for this 'once-in-a-lifetime'

experience.

Publicity photographs attached.

Call me back quick to ensure your spot.

post-3043-141887160735.jpg

post-3043-141887160737.jpg

post-3043-141887160739.jpg

post-3043-141887160741.jpg

post-3043-141887160743.jpg

post-3043-141887160745.jpg

post-3043-141887160746.jpg

post-3043-141887160748.jpg

post-3043-14188716075.jpg

post-3043-141887160752.jpg

I grew up sailing and cruising around Stewart Island - suicidal cod, crayfish so big you can put a saddle on em and ride them into town and scallops in knee deep water.

If you think those photos are awesome, you should see the place on a rough day.

Guest Dry Reach

Is tha Bill, AKA William, i see out there on Blue Soveriegn.

What a man.! :lol:

I would like to book one space for the west wing of Rangipo Prison..

and... the hero of these photo's is the photographer!

That makes me think twice about the round NZ 2 handed on Waka........

Got me thinking as well. Apparently last time (25 years ago) it got pretty bumpy in Foveaux. No one died though, so what the hell.

93.026 ft to be precise

PD 98 HARVESTER, sister ship PD 198 OCEAN HARVEST

CHARACTERISTICS :

Length 28.35 [m]

Length between PP 24.00 [m]

Breadth moulded 8.6 [m]

Depth shelter deck 6.40 [m]

Depth main deck 4.00 [m]

Trail Speed 11 [kn]

Bollard pull: 18.2 [t]

CAPACITIES :

Fuel oil …...…...................................……...…..65 cum

Fresh water ……………………………………..12 cum

Technical fresh water (forepeak) ………………20 cum

Fresh hold .....................……........................….160 cum

Design: Karstensens Skibsværft A/S

Hull: - built by Safe Engineering Services, Gdynia, Poland.

Class: None, but built under survey of Det norske Veritas and MCA.

DECK EQUIPMENT:

Hydraulic winches: - all supplied by Thistle Marine, Peterhead (UK) main components:

1 x Trawl winch, PSW-25 23,0

2 x Trawl winch, STW-25 15,0

2 x Net drums SND-10, each 2 x 10,0 t

2 x Bagging drums, each 10,0 t

2 x Gilson winches 5,5 t

1 x Anchor windlass

Unloading crane: Thistle Marine MFB-12, stiff-boom, 13 t/m.

Hydraulic system: High-pressure (max 200 bar), driven by:

3 x Denison main pumps, fitted to gearbox PTO’s.

2 x 11 kW power packs for pilot- and spooling system.

1 x 30 kW power pack for crane and aux. hydraulics.

1 x 55 kW power pack, driving towing pump.

Autotrawl system: Scantrol, featuring Pair-Link and Ispool systems.

Trawl blocks: KT-500, supplied by Brdr. Markussen, Blue Line

Anchors & chains: Spek anchors

Anchor wire on winch + anchors to class requirement.

ENGINES AND MACHINERY

Main engine: Caterpillar 3508 B (flexible mounted).

900 HP @ 1200 rpm

Propeller plant: Hundested Propeller, VP11½, ø2800 mm

Reduction gearbox: Hundested Propeller, CPG80, 8,5:1

Auxiliaries: 2 x Cummins 6CTA8,3-D(M)

- alternators: 2 x Stamford, 130 kW @ 1500 rpm

Steering gear: 1 x R-R Tenfjord SR 642 – 70 kNm

Bow thruster: Hundested Propeller, SFT 4, 160 HP

Fuel Oil separator: Alfa Laval

Pumps: Main engine cooling: Bombas Azcue

Deckwash-, fire- and

bilge pumps: Bombas Azcue

Hydraulic cooling – and

other cooling pumps: Bombas Azcue

FW pressure set: Bombas Azcue

Hot water tank: Metro

Sewage pump: Bombas Azcue

FISH ROOM AND PROCESSING:

Fish room cooling: Nordkøl with Bock compressor.

Ice machine: 1 x Geneglace F100M, 2,5 t/day.

Slurry ice plant: 2 x S4 generators, each 18 kW cooling capacity, c/w tank.

Fish handling system: BoaTech A/S.

Gutting machine: KM Fish Machinery

Scales: Marel, complete with software for labelling boxes and bins.

LIFESAVING - FIRE-FIGHTING:

Life rafts: 2 x RFD, 8 pers.

Survival suits

Lifejackets

Lifebouys

Pyrotecnics

ER fire extinguishing: FS49 – Clean Agent, supplied by Skandinavisk Brandteknik.

Fire detection: Scana

ACCOMMODATION ETC.

Accommodation: Maritime Montering

Insulation: Maritime Montering

Linings: Isolamin-panels

Wheelhouse chairs: 2 x Nor-Sap 1500 Comfort

Accommodation doors Momek doors

Ventilation: LF Ventilation

Windows: Van Wingerden

Front windows: 15+6 mm glass laminated.

Paint supplier: Sigma

ELECTRICAL:

Navigation lights: Den Haan

Monitoring system: Marble Marine Electronics

Tank level controls: Mobrey alarms

Electrical installation: Hanstholm Elektronik A/S

Main switchboard: Circuit A/S

ELECTRONICS

Electronic equipment (navigation, fish finding, communication) supplied by SAM Electronics (UK) and Seatronics. Main items:

Radar 1: 1 x SAM 1100, black box

Radar 2: 1 x JRC JMA 2343

Gyro: 1 x Robertson RGC50

Autopilot: 1 x Navitron 921 MkII

Echo sounder: 1 x SAM Skipper GDF201

Net monitor: 1 x Scanmar Scanmate 6

Plotter 1: 1 x Sodena EasyWin

Plotter 2: 1 x Sodena TurboWin

Ground discr.: 1 x SeaScan 102

DGPS: 1 x Koden KGP-913D

GPS: 1 x Koden KGP-913

SSB 1: 1 x Sailor HC4500

SSB 2: 1 x Icom M801E

VHF 2 x Sailor RT-4801

VHF DSC 1 x Navicom RT-450 DSC

Epirp: McMurdo E5

Navtex: ICS Nav-6

Satcom-C: 1 x Thrane & Thrane Mini-C

Sat phone: Sailor SC4000 / Iridium.

Windsensor: Simrad IS15

Satellite TV 1 x SeaTel 3294E

ME remote control: SeaMech SeaController.

Intercom (int): Phontech.

Intercom (ext): Raytheon

PD 98 – “HARVESTER” - PD 198 – “OCEAN HARVEST”

Newbuildings no 404 and 405 from Karstensen Shipyard Ltd in Skagen, Denmark was handed over to Scottish Owners Lunar Harvest on 2 July 2008. The new vessels replaces the owners previous vessels, with same names. Previous “Ocean Harvest” was sold internally in Scotland, where as the previous “Harvester” was lost in a collision in the North Sea 2 years ago.

The company Lunar Harvest is a joint venture between skippers (and brothers) John (“Harvester”) and Brian (“Ocean Harvest”) Stephen of Peterhead and Lunar Fishing Company.

The vessels will operate through Peterhead Fishermen Limited.

“Harvester” and “Ocean Harvest” are identical sister ships, and are of a remarkable different design to that of traditional Scottish pair seiners. The vessel has a fully enclosed shelter deck, with all gear handling sited on the upper deck. This leaves a large area for processing equipment for fish, this area is totally lined and insulated, and separated from any deck machinery. All fishing operations are carried out over the stern, with cod-end hatch centered between the 2 trawl tracks.

Winch systems on the vessels are controlled by a Scantrol auotrawl system, incorporating pair-link module, which allows one vessel to work as mater and the other as slave, fully synchronizing heading and pitch. In addition the trawl winches have Scantrol ispool controlled guiding-on gear, which enables vessels to work 3 different diameters of wire/rope on same winch, with automatic spooling.

Another noticeable feature on the 2 vessels is the very low noise level. During trials, with 90% load on engine, and speed of 10 knots, the noise levels in the mess room and cabins varied between 55 and 57 dB(A), which indeed are very low figures. Karstensen Shipyard has over the recent years gained a vast experience in noise insulation, and the results are being highly appreciated by Owners, skippers and crews of newbuildings from the yard.

Photo: David Linkie

DESCRIPTION:

The hull is built in steel with two continuous decks; main deck, shelter deck and short boat deck midship. Hull shape is of round bilge construction with bulbous bow and stern skeg, flared stem and transom stern.

Hull with bulwarks and gallows is constructed in steel. Wheelhouse and masts to be built in aluminium.

Below main deck the hull is subdivided into five watertight compartments: Forepeak, tank section with deep fuel oil tanks SB and PS as well as bow thruster room, insulated fish hold, engine room with main engine connected to one reduction gearbox with one propeller in steerable nozzle and aftpeak with fuel- and lub oil tanks.

On main deck the hull is arranged with: Winch room, fish handling area SB, ice maker/machinery room PS with accommodation section abaft. All aft fish hopper CL with net store room SB, incorporating exhaust trunking and PS engineers store with ventilation trunking and engine store.

Accommodation on main deck is arranged with 3 2-man cabins with en-suite toilet/showers, changing room with toilet and access stair to shelter deck accommodation.

Shelter deck is arranged with clear foredeck, only with mooring equipment and fully enclosed shooting hood above winches.

Forward of midship full width superstructure is erected with accommodation inside deckhouse. Solid bulwarks from superstructures to be continued aft to gallow-legs. Shelter deck accommodation contains mess room/lounge, galley with provision store, common toilet, skippers cabin with en-suite toilet/shower and alleyway with stairs to main- and bridge deck.

Abaft deckhouse PS unloading hatch and –crane on gallow deck.

2 split net drums are positioned on forward end of trawl deck, with trawl track leading to stern. 2 stern rollers on top of PS and SB hydraulic operated stern gates.

Gallow legs SB and PS with exhaust trunkting SB and ventilation for engine room PS.

All aft full width boat deck with 2 bagging drums and trawl gallow.

In way of centre block pocket for pair trawl weight / centre clump is integrated. Access and platform on gallows.

Wheelhouse, with 360° view, is mounted on bridge deck, on forward part of vessel.

Arrr, Photo's of last years trip. I was wondering when you were going to get around to posting them Squid. What awesome weather we had. The Locals said we were real lucky as it was the best weather they had had since 72. Rigger was skipper and If you all look hard enough, you can just make out Squid and KM sunbathing on the foredeck. I was below making some of them tropical cocktails with the little umbrellas. SJB was playing around in the engine room giving her a little tickle up. He reckoned she was good for a couple more knots that Rigger was squeezing out of her. SJB wondered if the fuel was a little foamy, but we all kinda looked at each as to what he was going on about. We did not though that the beer seems a little more boisterous when you popped the top. Could just have been lack of air pressure from being so far south I reckon.

The boat started out 140ft, but something happened to the back end of her. Typical foreign made tin cans. Can't keep up with the conditions on a good day down there. Imagine if it was a typical weather day for there. KM is working on a boat for next year's trip, but it won't be ready in time for this one coming.

Booboo won the biggest Cod compitition, but I still reckon it was cheating using that 400lb Shark line. Tuffluffy got the biggest Cray. Although 3021 did haul in the biggest, which promptly rared up, smacked him around the chops and jumped back in. Ya have to watch those Crays down there.

Yeup looking forward to this next trip. But have to warn you all, the weather predicated might mean we have a bit more of a chop on the surface than that last trip.

I went to Stewart Is by ferry a few years ago. The 2 crossings couldn't have been more different. Millpond on the way across, and freakin rough on the way back.

Rough enough for the ferry to slide sideways down the face of a wave with an almighty thump at the bottom.

Two things that didn't change was the speed on the dial and the demeanor of the skipper. One hand on the wheel, the other was gimballing a cup of coffee. :D

The crew showed amazing skill, and the ability to read the passengers body language and keep a steady stream of sick bags flowing to the correct places. :shock: :D

I went and stood out the back watching the stern dissappearing into the spray.

Ahhh great memories

When I was a teenager we went to Stewart Island by an old fishing boat (i.e. no ballast) I remember someone's camera slid across the floor, leaped into the air and smashed against a window!

We flew back! :-)

SHANE

I went to Stewart Is by ferry a few years ago. The 2 crossings couldn't have been more different. Millpond on the way across, and freakin rough on the way back.

Rough enough for the ferry to slide sideways down the face of a wave with an almighty thump at the bottom.

Two things that didn't change was the speed on the dial and the demeanor of the skipper. One hand on the wheel, the other was gimballing a cup of coffee. :D

The crew showed amazing skill, and the ability to read the passengers body language and keep a steady stream of sick bags flowing to the correct places. :shock: :D

I went and stood out the back watching the stern dissappearing into the spray.

I took that ferry a while back also and my trip was remarkably similar to your description, esp that of the crew. Our skipper was only standing on one leg though, the other foot cocked against his knee, still gimbaling the coffee and without change in demeanor.

I remember when he buried the throttles as we left Bluff. I thought, "CHRIST,are we going to fly there?!"

You certainly get to know an aweful lot about what your boat can do down there. It is nothing anc very common that even on a fine calm day, to have 3, and bigger swells rolling through and the fish, oyster and cray guys still go out to work. In would have to be the Cray guys i have the greatest respect for. They go out in the smaller of the boats in almost all the weather that comes through and then go and put their boats right up close to rocks and in the tidal areas where the sea is at it's worse. They earn every cent.

Archived