Sail cloth colours

Sail cloth for use on a race yacht in the mid 30ft range, main (fully battened square top on cars) and headsails. First preference is for Dacrons rather than one of them fancy wansy ones.

Can you buy it black or is it a case of buying white and a pile of felt pens?

Cost is an issue as always but black being likely to cost more than white is expected. The sails will get worked so they don't want to be built of crap.

And just out of interest while here, what sort of colour range is there? And an extension to that question, do coloured cloths stand up as well as white?

That's all assuming other than White does exist beyond the gawd awful Hobie cat cloth weight range.

you'd be pushing sh*t uphill if you want to find colours other than white,cream,brown and orange in a dacron that is heavy enough otherwise you are looking at the 3.8oz lightweight stuff

I'd ask around for you tomorrow but I'm off to rub shoulders with the agrarian sector

Better of to get a good hard dacron and paint it black - it's done quite frequently, see Hugo Boss etc

Really need your 'fancy wansy' fabric for headsails - speshully for tall skinny ones, dacron won't cut the mustard for long.

Oh, a tin of Dulux and away we go time. No worries, I wasn't sure what the deal was.

Knot a case of what I want Wal, more one of what I'm told I must have. Knot 100% but I'm thinking fancy wansy is a no-no even at the pointy end.

So a nice Bordeaux with some Chartreuse strips accented with some Henna highlights is quite doable then. That's lucky I thought I might get stuck with a nice colour :? :lol:

Thanks guys.

Have fun with the Naki sheep shagers and MooLoo titty pullers 2morrow. I've 22 tonnes of steel arriving 1st thing and the WW ladies picked today to have a long lunch with me, the token bloke. Got that one wrong, bugger.

From memory Muttley painted a storm jib for the Limit in the Noumea race last year (so he could make it out of spectra and yet still comply with the rescue orange requirement). Knot sure if the same approach would work for dacron though.

Knot sure what you think fansy wansy is KM but a Stratis cruising laminate made Mardi Gras kinda leap outta the water compared to her old worn out rags. This stuff is reasonably priced, will hold its shape, has good sunscreen properties etc and it's made to suit the loads on the boat. Your boat will have high loads as you're always maxed out trying to catch up after being late for the start. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Was speaking with a you fulla the other day that has started with Doyles, I asked hi the same question, he did tell me that they had mad some black ones recently for a boat, but unsure of what material, I asked about the dacron, he said they could dye them, made sense but not sure about the UV, but then they dont stay on the boat when not in use so may not be an issue

By 'fancy wansy' I mean knot Dacron even though there is some sort of fancy wansy like dacrons. This is a rule thing rather than a preferred choice thing.

Black isn't critical, just I'm being asked what colours do I want used, so though black would look quite cool in the over all scheme due to the tentative name.

No knot telling so don't ask, I'd hate to have to kill ya :lol:

Paint doesn't sound good, it'll flake. Dye would be the answer. I know that rust coloured dye works really well at the corners.

Ink is the go, we use a ink called 'bond ink' which sticks to almost anything and doesnt add too much weight.

You dont really get any decent colored dacrons and I wouldnt bother building any sail out of it.

the ink sticks OK to the mylar surface but can scratch off but it really soaks into the woven finish.

Sweet Thanks Lads.

Out of interest is that what they did with Hugo Boss?

Knot that I like her look that much I'm working on a slightly tweaked sexier version. Do wish the hull was a closer match in size though :lol:

Sweet Thanks Lads.

Out of interest is that what they did with Hugo Boss?

yep I think that was da boat the young fulla was telling me about

Archived