Sail cloth colours

All the dacron tapes were inked to match but

The new sails for Bristolian had black film/taffeta

I dunno - I just fix 'em :crazy:

Hugo boss was black film/taffeta one side white the other, patches were colour matched to the side. Everything else that was not black or white was paint in bond ink to match. Bristolian was black both sides so only needed touch ups with bond ink.

Only problem with painting the darker the colour the more coats required when we do a light grey it is 2 coats, black you are looking at 3-4. For the time that would be added for painting you would be better going with a membrane sail that can made with a coloured film to start with.

post-3025-141887161043.jpg

post-3025-141887161045.jpg

Depends on class rules as above there is a polyester fibre option but with the coloured film taffeta, having seen both options the painted dacron vs coloured membrane the membrane is a clear winner. Lighter holds the shape better and most importantly the black will be more consistant vs painting.

Im guessing this is the look you are after, just a smaller scale :thumbup:

bristolian-yacht-1155.jpg

Just what are you actually wanting to do KM, is it for the R930 and are they going to be race sails?

Do you want them to be non exotic just to keep the cost down or is this a rule thing.

The sails on triple 8 were painted black, mostly to keep the UV off the PBO fibres but also for the look. adds a bit of weight but saves the sails in the long run.

Oh I'm sure KM would love the scale - but knot the bill.....

Actually I can't see myself with and have zero desire for a boat like that. I just can't see the point of them and regard them as a waste of good boat building materials (sorry to all our superboat customers) The biggest boat I have every really wanted was 60ft and that's an all out racer. Cruising wise it's a 49' 11" Cat.

Required for a 1/2 sized Hugo Boss, knot a 930.

Although I do understand how many get the 2 confused :lol: :lol:

The rules say 'no exotics' in main or headsails. It's knot a biggie and certainly isn't at the moment. I have some paperwork which requires graphics so my nice lady asked what colour to do the boat and we went all black. It was after that I thought, errr... can you or just how do you get black, hence the thread.

Archived