Westhaven changes

It looks like Mast and Spar Services is being eased out of Westhaven.

Bruce Elliott from Mast and Spar has been providing rigging and mast building services on a barge in Westhaven for over 25 years. Now the new Tank farm development means they have to move.

Bruce thought he had another area sorted to move to (by the western entrance to Westhaven in the pile area) but has been told that there has been boat owner opposition to having the barge there.

Once the barge goes it will be a major loss to your average yacht owner because they will have to use a crane truck to remove their mast and be trucked away to a work shop at more expense than getting the boys at MSS to lift it on to the barge with their gantry.

Can anyone tell me why boat owners would not want that there?

I think sharpie has a similar issue the place they have given him doesn't sound like it will work because the lease is way more than the business can support.

It could be the end of the floating dock as well.

It's totally fecking stupid the way ACC and mates seem to be going out of their way to have no marine businesses by water. It certianly appears they value a few rich visitors far far higher than their ratepayers.

They've pushed a lot out over the last few year and it's meant more trucks and cars on the roads along with a lot of wasted time, fuel and costs for everyone, inc the council.

They are Idiots. But then who gave them the power to be so? :?

Most of the Floating Dock opposition is to do with overspray from the waterblasting covering owners' boats with scummy poop. It was something that occurred to me straight off

But I'm sure there are ways of taking care of that

Peanut - you've heard of NIMBY?

Not In My Back Yard

Brainless :thumbdown:

No idea - I've had my cat exactly there for about 6 years and that's the 1st I've heard about it - sounds like porkies to me.

No idea - I've had my cat exactly there for about 6 years and that's the 1st I've heard about it - sounds like porkies to me.

I heard that one of the dock's objectors is a boat owner that has a son that runs a Dive Business in Westhaven

It is not just the Council that can be short sighted.

Interesting - a dive business thinking of moving into mast and spars . . . tapping into the lucrative multi market perhaps!

Perhaps I have idn't make myself clear.

"Floating Dock" as in the other dock that is getting objections along with the Mast and Spars barge.

being old school westhaven ( built the ramps 82 and L4 sat roughly the end of x pier on a mooring from 1954> 82) i can say that the heart and soul of the place has been steadily eroded away from boat owners that actually use their boats toward a more "motel"aspect, once in a not so long ago service ( and I do mean f**king good service) was provided onsite by honest people in the name of progress these "people" have been moved along, so, boat owner'/users, best you let the ACC know about how you feel ( worked for us with regard to contractors passes and parking etc) cause once these guys are gone they'll be gone for good......we all loose then.....................seafeeze nz

The Floating Dock will be moving to another location that is separate to the Mast and Spar location.

The Barge has no down side for boat owners that I can think of so why would there be boat owner opposition? I can see down sides to the floating Dock but they can be sorted I'm sure.

www.mastandspar.co.nz

Archived