Jury rulings

rigger

I struggle to understand how a wing trimmer (2 actually) can be intimately acquainted with the modifications to the boats, knowing that they were then out of spec, yet the helmsman in particular, and the rest of the sailing crew who have to work closely with each other, have no knowledge of modifications and are completely out of this particular loop. Even if they found out after the fact they should have taken action prior to being rumbled by somebody else. Seems like they've been drawing straws to see who gets thrown under the bus. :problem:

At least some people were banned even if they were paid to take the fall but im happy with the 2 point deduction as it could screw them over if the racing is close or mean they finish a cup on negative if there slow.

Statement from Oracle

Today, the America’s Cup Jury announced that one Team USA sailor, our primary wing trimmer, and two shore crew have been excluded from further participation in the 34th America’s Cup. This penalty was assessed because of a rules breach occurring in early 2012, well over a year ago, involving modifications to the team’s AC45 yachts, not the larger AC72 yachts that will be used in the America’s Cup.

The Jury has also penalized the team by deducting two races from Team USA in the upcoming 34th America’s Cup. That means Team USA will have to win 11 races to win the America’s Cup while Team New Zealand will only have to win nine races.

“The rules infractions involved only a few of our 130 team members, and were done without the knowledge of either our team’s management or the skippers who were driving the boats,” said team CEO Russell Coutts. “While we disagree with the unprecedented penalties imposed by the Jury, we have no choice but to make the necessary changes to personnel on our race boat and do our best to use the next four days for the new team to practice and get ready for the start of the 34th America’s Cup.”

virtually no chance..... they knew, and probably authorised it. in the decision, the ij were not able to identify who installed the weights, nor who made the kingpost mods. or when. still a cover up that will tarnish the reputation of the entire team. let's have some sailing.

From Stuff:

The jury was left feeling there may have been more illegalities undiscovered.

"Most of those involved are experienced professional sailors or boat builders. The stark reality is a series of breaches occurred over a period of time which clearly demonstrated that their systems were not adequate or robust as demonstrated by multiple breaches at multiple events," the jury said of Oracle in their ruling.

"It is not just the benefit of hindsight that it is evident that elementary and necessary precautions were not taken to prevent such breaches occurring. The jury failed to discover which individuals were responsible for all the breaches, resulting in concerns there may have been more.

"For example, there was evidence of a bag of lead being inserted into a king post but no evidence of who removed it or what happened to it. There were emails referring to "fill king posts? as if there was an intention to fill both king posts on boat BAR, but no evidence as to whether one king post was filled and emptied."

The jury said they didn't want to impose a penalty that was going to affect the outcome of the America's Cup, saying that should be decided on the water, not in the jury room. They said the penalties would have been heavier under different circumstances.

Team New Zealand presented submissions on the charge that Oracle had damaged the reputation of the cup.

They maintained Oracle's actions were designed to improve the performance of their boats.

Team New Zealand were also worried about the impact on their own sponsors while they waited to hear the outcome as the America's Cup "has often seen controversy but not outright cheating".

Team New Zealand also felt the whole episode had "already damaged the brand and reputation of the America's Cup and sailing as a sport".

Of the banned sailors, Mitchell is a grinder on the boat and Andrew Walker is one of the team's boat builders. Bryce Ruthenberg is also on the shore team, involved in rigging, and Dutch sailor Dirk de Ridder's is one of the trimmers

Can someone enlighten me - why did they do it ?

What was the motivation, is that race series such a big deal ?

Also unless the AC72s are very close in terms of speed I cannot see the points penalty having much effect on the outcome of the Americas Cup

Nice to see a strong, independent submission from ACEA - Not!

ACEA submitted that therefore "the public response to OTUSA‟s conduct has been negligible‟ and that "provided there is no generally perceived issue of corruption in the sport, OTUSA‟s conduct should have no measurable impact on the future commercial interests of the America‟s Cup or other rights holders in sailing‟.

And the jury goes on to say:

....ACEA who submitted there was no measurable negative effect in respect of the misconduct.

You have to wonder what planet they are on sometimes. My guess - Planet Oracle :oops: :oops:

Can someone enlighten me - why did they do it ?

What was the motivation, is that race series such a big deal ?

Also unless the AC72s are very close in terms of speed I cannot see the points penalty having much effect on the outcome of the Americas Cup

And in my mind, this is the most suitable outcome. If ETNZ are either grossly slower or faster than Oracle, its not going to have any significant effect. If its close, then this could potentially really come back and bite Oracle, and its funder, quite hard. A very fair way to punish a team with unlimited funding.

There are only 17 races scheduled. If it is close, this could lead to there being no winner, i.e. a draw.

For example, it could end up with ETNZ on 7 wins, and OTUSA on 10 wins (= 8 points). And no more races left.

There are only 17 races scheduled. If it is close, this could lead to there being no winner, i.e. a draw.

For example, it could end up with ETNZ on 7 wins, and OTUSA on 10 wins (= 8 points). And no more races left.

It seems that if it gets that close they are going to extend the number of races until either team has 9 points on the board, meaning it could be a best of 19 series.

Archived