Windsurfer Boom Yacht

bene_sails

I don't quite see the point. What does it achieve. A wind surfer I understand, giving you something to hold onto and the fact that it is your body weight controlling the sail. But that I don't understand???

You don't need a vang with a setup like that Wheels. Nice sail shape and twist set straight out of the box. Plus ther's no nasty aluminium thing ready to clock the unwary.

I've always been curious how they go... there was something similar ....a freedom rig yacht about 32 or 34 ft built here a few years ago. What did that one perform like, anyone remember?

( was it at Gulf harbour??)

The Wylies perform very , very well. Comparable with a sloop rigged similar 30 footer in many conditions. Another advantage really easy to sail particularly short handed (to tack put the helm across - don't even have to put down your drink). They give up a little due to lack of extras downwind but not as much as you's think as there's no blanketing of the headsail. And some have been fitted with assymmetricals and a prod.

Can a laser/Ok/Finn point?

Oh, and you don't have to pay for/maintain/replace chainplates toggles rigging screws terminals wire or rod.

Guest Dry Reach

I've got a production fibreglass 4.2 metre seabird, built by Moyes marine in the 80's, with this rig and a Jib up fromt (no stays and it is great to rig, and sail. Easy to get under the boom )

Also the wishboom loading on the middle of mast gives good sail shape but with no vang the leach tension is dodgy.

By the way are there any production dingy or keelboat builders left in NZ?

Right. Good point on the no boom.

But that aside, would this give you any advantage over a foot lose sail? Like DR says, a lot of load in the middle of the mast where the most stress tends to get "seen" as it is.

Also the Boom can add to sail area as it becomes "leading/trailing edge", to wind flow.

The reefing lines are attached to one side of the wishbone at the appropriate distance from the clew, run up to the sail and down the other side, enter the wishbone and exit on the bottom of the wishbone opposite the mast, down to the deck and back to the cockpit. Easy Peasy.

There is one down at bayswater - certainly doesnt have the flash sails of the one in the pic, but it spends a bit of time on the harbour, never really compared it speed wise, just thought it looked interesting. Interested to hear any coments on theory behind the wishbone set up.

The original turissimo cat was designed with one, there's been a few keelboats around with them, notably the freedom range overseas.

The problem is the mast has to be very strong way up putting weight where you least need it, and despite all efforts the wishbone can never be stiff enough to resist compression, meaning that when it blows, your sail gets fuller, the exact opposite of what you want.

Not a bad option for cruising boats tho

Archived