Whats the best inflatable in 2 metre size range for rowing?

Zozza

Hmmm... asking about the best inflatable for rowing is IMHO a contradiction in terms... they are truly appalling for rowing; zero momentum and hideous windage... if you can't work with something with a rigid bottom, then invest in a tiny outboard to go with it.

Hmmm... asking about the best inflatable for rowing is IMHO a contradiction in terms... they are truly appalling for rowing; zero momentum and hideous windage... if you can't work with something with a rigid bottom, then invest in a tiny outboard to go with it.

Thanks, but I want the exercise.

Surely there must be at least one type of tender inflatable that don't row like a pig?

I was going looking for an Avon Redstart or Redcrest, but none for sale locally, and they don't make them anymore apparently.

So, looking for opinions on local ones like S/Pacific, Lancer, Terminator, Aquapro etc.

Cheers

Sorry, have to concur,

Blow ups are very hard to row.

Unless they have any kind of keel pieces (could be fins) they just move from side to side unless pulling both oars evenly.

Even the best have very flat bottoms. The next choice is rib...that have rigid bottom structures. With some V.

But lets be real.

At 23 foot, you dont have a choice of anything rigid.

You wont have the deck space between your mast and fore stay for even the smallest of anything so blow up it is.

(unless you want to tow something and I dont recomend that)

SO go for whatever has the greatest V, and possibly a blow up keel. Balance that with the fact that the more of this kind of structure, the harder (more space) it takes to stow when uniflated...

If you are solo, a small sea Kayak strapped to the staunchions may be better.

cheers.

Hi Partisan, the Takacat 2.2m could well be worth a look.

You could check Trademe for a Avon Redcrest or Redstart but they mostly would be well used.

The Avon actually rows quite well and the robust rowlocks along with the full length wooden oars were great.

Do not buy a Zodiac if you want to row anywhere in a controlled direction and their oars and rowlocks are just crap.

Hi Partisan, the Takacat 2.2m could well be worth a look.

You could check Trademe for a Avon Redcrest or Redstart but they mostly would be well used.

The Avon actually rows quite well and the robust rowlocks along with the full length wooden oars were great.

Do not buy a Zodiac if you want to row anywhere in a controlled direction and their oars and rowlocks are just crap.

Yes, I have been told before that the Avon rowlocks are the best in the business. There are no Recrest's or Redstart's for sale, but there are a few Avon 2.8m "Air"s around that are for sale -- hypalon too. Probably a bit big for my little boat, but then again if they roll up well I could store it down below when not in use. Do you know much about this large "Air" Avon model?

Cheers

if you want it for the exercise, what does it matter 'how well it rows' - which really means how fast does it go through the water.

I have a little puffin that it terrible to row and even worse if you're in a hurry and don't quite inflate till it wants to burst its seams! But it doesn't actually bother me because if you measure it as a workout then its energy/distance is far better than anything else! That is the entire philosophy behind resistance training!

If on the other hand you want to improve your rowing technique and also get somewhere really really fast then you just cant go past a full carbon single scull skiff!

I would not be happy relying on oars alone in an inflatable in anything other than very sheltered water. Worst experience ever afloat was only just making it back to Paihia beach, against wind and chop, from a boat I'd been inspecting a mere 200 metres offshore, using the owner's collapsable. Would have been better off jumping overboard and swimming. I have precisely the same dilemma - a very small boat and what to use as a tender... a small kayak will probably be the goer.

I posted about these a few days ago. they appear to be a great alternative to an inflatabe

http://www.quickboats.com

Ive heard back from them and whilst they only have a 3.7 version at present, a 2.4 is in the final stages of design and will be available next year, and a 3.0 version shortly after.

Im holding out on a new tender until they release them

There are two Avons with inflatable floors listed on Trademe.I would check the time/effort to inflate and deflate these dinghies.Some Avons require quite a effort to delate and you need to literally either suck the air out or lie on them for half a day to succeed.The other Avon listed seems to be in excellent condition and I would plump for that one given the choice.Both types are of hypalon material which has excellent durability and is the preferred option when looking at inflatable dinghies.

I rowed an Avon for years, not too bad at all.Better than any of the others I know of, but not sure if they even make the Redstasrt or Redcrest any more.

Southern Pacific Puffin

-light weight.

-good wooden oars.

-quick to inflate.

A soft transom is best for rowing. e.g. 220sc

http://www.southernpacific.co.nz/puffin_pack.htm

you think? I always felt ours rowed like crap. We gave up and got a hard dinghy, and tow it. But so much depends on if you mean rowing around a calm anchorage, or battling 20 knots to and from your mooring...

I had a Southern pacific 2.6 slat bottom that rowed like a pig but at least it had decent wooden oars. i had a spare small outboard at the time so used that. Now Ive got an aakron 2.3 inflateable keel which rows better but the oars are crappy little alloy things that you practically have to pull the seat out and sit on the floor to row. it takes longer to inflate but I keep it inflated so not such a big deal. Also bought a 2 hp waterman OB to putt it round which works well. The inflateable keel motors better than the slat bottom too. If you want an inflatable you can move without a motor maybe one of the inflatable Kayaks might be worth a look.

http://www.aakronboats.co.nz/inflatable-kayaks

I rowed an Avon for years, not too bad at all.Better than any of the others I know of, but not sure if they even make the Redstasrt or Redcrest any more.

No, they don't make them anymore.

So, if you know of anyone with a Redstart or Redcrest that they want to get rid of, then point them in my direction.

Cheers.

Archived