Wanted: Seagull Silver Century Outboard

Kiteroa

Any of you guys have a Seagull 'Silver Century' outboard sitting in the shed that needs moving on? I'm specifically after the Silver Century model. That's the one with the square block and the larger aft exhaust tube. Cheers.

Any of you guys have a Seagull 'Silver Century' outboard sitting in the shed that needs moving on? I'm specifically after the Silver Century model. That's the one with the square block and the larger aft exhaust tube. Cheers.

Have to ask .... what are you going to do with it? You need a full oil spill kit to operate one of them these days.... :D

Have to ask .... what are you going to do with it? You need a full oil spill kit to operate one of them these days.... :D

Someone wants to beat the old guys

http://vimeo.com/74987669#

I've got about half a dozen Seagulls under my house,, prob got one like that,, will have a shifty over the weekend.

That would be awesome. Thanks very much.

Yeah, there's quite a healthy seagull racing circuit running. The main race is the Waikato river event. 88Nm down the river. The top guys in the super modified open class are doing over 25 knots in pretty high-tec boats. My mate and I are racing in the New Bermudan class and we’re touching on 13 knots with 2 of us in the boat.

We need the Silver Century engine to keep up with the old fellas though. We’ve been running the 102’s and we’re just not getting the numbers we need to be competitive. The SC engine has far greater scope for increasing compression and fitting better carbs. So if we can show up with a very high tech boat and an engine that is close to some of the old fellas, I think we can take them.

it's a reliability race. The harder you push the engine, the less chance you have of finishing. A lot of the fast guys don't finish. The luckiest guy usually wins. Most of the super quick engines are single use units!

This is so cool. It kinda reminds me of Ogres proa mates. An eccentric bunch, but also a really good lot.

I have such fond memories of bombing around in an old beaten up ply dinghy with a 2 1/2 hp 'gull on the back. When my Dad "upgraded" me to a 4 hp I thought I'd died and gone to heaven!

I can remember a school class mate had a fibreglass dinghy with a 4 hp Johnson outboard and he could go faster then me. I was jealous of that until the day we tied our boats back to back and then fired up our outboards. I dragged him backwards across Stanmore Bay! Never suffered from jealousy again.

Seagulls Rule!!! :thumbup:

i want one now ...i have a cunning plan

You need a lot of cunning plans to foot it with some of the old dudes! When we first launched our fine 20ft class boat ‘Paris Hilton’ we were half the weight of the next lightest boat in our division and our hull looked to be the most efficient in the fleet. We thought our engine was ok, for all practical purposes it was the same as what our competition was using.

We finished dead last against the other 20ft boats.

Now I’m starting to understand a little more about the engine. Fuel is a biggie. And the prop is the next big one. There are a lot of small tricks that give you a 100rpm extra. What you assume will give you performance on a modern engine doesn’t always apply to the dirty seagull. Often what you think will give you an edge actually makes you go slower!

Now I’m starting to understand a little more about the engine. Fuel is a biggie. And the prop is the next big one. There are a lot of small tricks that give you a 100rpm extra. What you assume will give you performance on a modern engine doesn’t always apply to the dirty seagull. Often what you think will give you an edge actually makes you go slower!

You can't leave it like that! What have you learnt?

Spill the beans this is facinating. :thumbup: :)

Archived