Wanted: Seagull Silver Century Outboard

Kiteroa

This is highly classified information. I’ve really suffered to get a grip on the seagull learning curve.

I spent a long night at the Whangamata RSA eating onion soup, buying raffle tickets for a meat pack I didn't even want, and drinking Waikato Draught, just to get an old dude drunk enough to tell me what he used instead of two stroke oil in his fuel mix. That cost me $100, but I got 150rpm from it.

Then I discovered there’s a secret propeller that is rarer than rocking horse sh*t. These never come up for sale. Not even in England. So I borrowed one from a guy in Taranaki and cast + machined 2 copies. Another 100rpm from that.

Then there’s the Silver Century….. Which turns out is the engine to have. (Which annoyingly doesn’t fit the special propeller)

I bribed another old fella with carbon fibre and tube and he let me do a run with Paris Hilton using his Silver Century race engine. Straight away with no setup…… BANG! We broke the 12 knot barrier. Currently the top 20ft guys are sitting on 11 knots  So Paris is on top. Haven’t seen him or his motor since. He'll be flashing that gold card all over town to get profiles of our hull now.....

I found an old crusty Silver Century motor and paid/was ripped off $280 for it. Spent 2 days completely stripping, cleaning and rebuilding. It looks like it’s spent 40yrs in a hen house, but that was worth 200rpm and an extra knot of boat speed. But still not as good as the old fellas motor….

But we’ll get there. Paris Hilton the 2nd will hit the water in a few weeks and she will be a 17kg, 20ft weapon.

So the battle continues!

Is there a big enough market for these things in NZ to ship a few back? I could be bringing a car over in Dec 2014 - would there be buyers if I filled it up with seagulls? (although probably get stung for GST).

Oi! I have got a black market 1980 transit van with 80 of the oily buggers coming in! :-)

W.T. - You thought about becoming a writer!

A really nice one can fetch as much as $800, but most are $250-$350 for a runner. It's just that the SC model has a habit of cracking their blocks if they are left unflushed in salt water. So hence why there are less of them around than the 102.

The really lucrative model is the 5R Seagull. They are very hard to get. Bring a transit of these in and you’ll be doing ok. I’ve never seen one for sale.

We’re taking Paris for an endurance run this weekend. We need to do some more testing on some sneaky performance enhancing mods and some rough fuel consumption calcs. Also need to get a feel for how the gull’ goes running continuously for a couple of hours. They have a habit of disassembling themselves from vibration, so we need a mid-race maintenance program mapped out to keep the old girl going. Then there’s the matter of re-fueling on the fly. Which is a whole new science in itself…

It's the main cause of DNF in the long races. Guys are running them pretty hard and if you ding your prop and she gets a bit out of balance, then they shake themselves to bits.

Last year a couple of teams lost whole gearboxes and fuel tanks. Other years flywheels have come off and ended up in boats etc.

No nylock nuts in the standard class....

Ya really think he's gonna part with that just because you asked? :wtf:

This is highly classified information. I’ve really suffered to get a grip on the seagull learning curve.

I spent a long night at the Whangamata RSA eating onion soup, buying raffle tickets for a meat pack I didn't even want, and drinking Waikato Draught, just to get an old dude drunk enough to tell me what he used instead of two stroke oil in his fuel mix. That cost me $100, but I got 150rpm from it.

The $100 can be dealt with easily enough but the long night at the Razza is probably priceless.

Bought another engine on Trademe tonight. Thought the guy lived in Sea View rd Howick. Turns out he lives on Sea View rd Waiheke! So tossing up whether to do an extreme tinny mission down the bottom end or call on a fellow Piedy captain, The notorious Mr Alloway.....

Bought another engine on Trademe tonight. Thought the guy lived in Sea View rd Howick. Turns out he lives on Sea View rd Waiheke! So tossing up whether to do an extreme tinny mission down the bottom end or call on a fellow Piedy captain, The notorious Mr Alloway.....

good on you for the buy .......... stevie blunder from the Rock could always deliver it to Kerikeri by mistake so it could be attached to my newly sourced hull

Archived