Photo

Trailer Yacht

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#31 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 20 July 2010 - 08:31 PM

there is a dudley dix here in thailand. Seem like a nice enough boat but could probably do with higher topsides as the interior is very low in height relative to a e7.4 or similar. The one here was built too heavy; personally I think strip plank cedar glassed is the simple way to go.

There are some advantages to a sportsboat for performance but to get some accomodation I reckon one of the kiwi designers can come up with a quick mulit purpose trailer sailer that can take over from the last generation.

Performance wise most of the late generation trailer sailers got quicker although a few were rule beating s+@tters that complied with the regulations of trailer sailers but weren't ever built with the spirit of the rule in mind; the quicker ones play with sportsboats, the slower ones are orphans who either keeping beating up noelex 22s etc or go get beaten up by sportsboats.

That said I am sure u can come up with a new generation design which will be a real trailer sailer and also mighty quick.

Check out the carwadine 8m stealth design in aussie for instance.

g kip who you having a go at ?

#32 Panic

Panic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 10:18 PM

Having built cedar strip and radius ply as per Dudley Dixs designs I would not go cedar strip again in a hurry. I know you can get nice hull shapes and have all sorts of other advantages, but if you want a quick build with a good fair result with bugger all fairing and sanding then radius chine ply is the way to go.

As for room inside theres the age old adage of you can have 2 of three things grace, pace or space.

Boat design is all compromise especially when your looking at smallboats, The Didi 26 has similar room to a Nolex 25 and is a lot faster, with more righting moment etc. No my boat won't keep up with true sports boats as it hasn't got trapeze wings and a 25kg keel. But it keeps me happy and thats what counts.

As for cost I'm not sure what it would cost now but I estimate it would work out about the same as a good 2nd hand Nolex to build. As always the hull is the cheap bit, its all the other bolt on stuff that costs.

When I decided to build this design best fitted my wants, maybe something else out there now but I haven't seen it.

#33 Kiwifish

Kiwifish

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • LocationHamilton

Posted 13 September 2017 - 09:59 PM

Having built cedar strip and radius ply as per Dudley Dixs designs I would not go cedar strip again in a hurry. I know you can get nice hull shapes and have all sorts of other advantages, but if you want a quick build with a good fair result with bugger all fairing and sanding then radius chine ply is the way to go.

As for room inside theres the age old adage of you can have 2 of three things grace, pace or space.

Boat design is all compromise especially when your looking at smallboats, The Didi 26 has similar room to a Nolex 25 and is a lot faster, with more righting moment etc. No my boat won't keep up with true sports boats as it hasn't got trapeze wings and a 25kg keel. But it keeps me happy and thats what counts.

As for cost I'm not sure what it would cost now but I estimate it would work out about the same as a good 2nd hand Nolex to build. As always the hull is the cheap bit, its all the other bolt on stuff that costs.

When I decided to build this design best fitted my wants, maybe something else out there now but I haven't seen it.

Hi Panic

Are you still on this forum? I'm looking for info on the 26 thinking of building. I read about Panic knot, and I'm told it's now in Auckland. Could you Pm me I would be keen for a chat.
The grass is greenest where you water it......If light is the fastest thing. Then how did the dark get there first?

Www.gulfwanderers.blog

#34 Panic Knot

Panic Knot

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • LocationGulf Harbour

Posted 14 September 2017 - 01:53 PM

Hi Panic

Are you still on this forum? I'm looking for info on the 26 thinking of building. I read about Panic knot, and I'm told it's now in Auckland. Could you Pm me I would be keen for a chat.

Hi Kiwifish

I've now got Panic Knot and busy converting her to a trailer sailor (she was originally kept permanently in the water).  Happy to chat or if you want to come and have a look over her she's in Gulf Harbour.  PM me for contact details.

Cheers

Will

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users