RNI 2014

MOTORBOAT

Another consideration is that the racing should be done on the water, not from information received from "shore". In coastal we were using the tracker to monitor the opposition, cept the leader didn't have theirs on and slipped away after dark.

One hour updates is a good balance between safety, public information and letting the boats maintain their own tactics without broadcasting it to the opposition

Cameron, it's all good! Don't worry about negative comments, you can never please everyone! You are doing a great job, and this year the fleet size is both good and diverse. Well done!

Matt

Hi all,

YB have fixed my issue with the tracker on iPhone. A bit of user error, the tracker doesn't work unless you have the latest version of the YB app which apparently I didn't.

All good now, works a treat. Thanks YB. And as I said yesterday, 1 hour updates is plenty good enough

Just out of interest how did the Sydney to Hobart boats batteries last with their updates being more regular?

Thats an easy one! Sydney to Horbart is 2-5days... Round North Island is over 2 weeks!

I believe we will still have spare battery capacity at the finish but it's something I don't believe is worth pushing the limits on

Are you saying that it isn't possible to recharge the YB trackers at the various stopovers in the RNI?

No, quite clearly (at least to me, having read the post by Cameron on the previous page answering many of the issues raised) they have said, while possible, it is another task that an already busy and stretched team of volunteers don't really need added to their already too long list of things to do.

Especially since, with the current update rate, the trackers not only perform their primary function (safety) but also deliver an adequate bonus function (keeping the spectators reasonably well informed).

They acknowledge that IF they decided to increase the polling frequency, the trackers could do this, but they also clearly acknowledge that doing so MAY require in port recharging to ensure a continued 100% gaurantee that the safety function can continue to be delivered on in subsequent legs, and that they would rather not have to do the running around to ensure this task gets done (in addition to all the other stuff they have to get done in port).

How about we all agree that Cameron, John and ssanz are doing an awesome job, the trackers are great as they allow us keep a close eye on the race and make it a much more spectator sport than what it used to be, and yeah sure there may be a few little hiccups but boo hoo, I for one would much rather have the trackers than nothing at all.

motorboat out!

and as a generally sweeping statement:

if anybody wants to criticise then put your money where your mouth is, join the ssanz committee and try to do a better job to prove your point, otherwise you are all talk.

motorboat out again!

Are you saying that it isn't possible to recharge the YB trackers at the various stopovers in the RNI?

No, quite clearly (at least to me, having read the post by Cameron on the previous page answering many of the issues raised) they have said, while possible, it is another task that an already busy and stretched team of volunteers don't really need added to their already too long list of things to do.

Especially since, with the current update rate, the trackers not only perform their primary function (safety) but also deliver an adequate bonus function (keeping the spectators reasonably well informed).

They acknowledge that IF they decided to increase the polling frequency, the trackers could do this, but they also clearly acknowledge that doing so MAY require in port recharging to ensure a continued 100% gaurantee that the safety function can continue to be delivered on in subsequent legs, and that they would rather not have to do the running around to ensure this task gets done (in addition to all the other stuff they have to get done in port).

All fair and reasonable points Bardy but I wouldn't want to have a tracker fail on the last leg when Great Barrier has "jumped out of nowhere", crew hits the "Save Our Soul" button and nothing happens because folk were too busy drinking rum at the last stopover to plug in a power cable.

I get that concern, but I think you will find they have EPIRBs and GPS's with Man overboard and ermegency functions and all sorts of other things too. The Yellow Brick emergency button is not the only safety option there...

In regards to Yellowbrick Trackers I feel I should clarify a few things as the person from SSANZ who has all contact with Yellowbrick.

1.) To date the Yellowbricks have performed reliably and exactly as they should have in the 2014 RNI.

2.) There is no problem with the equipment in regards to ability to have faster updates. Yellowbrick can remotely change the update intervals. Yellowbrick still seems to be the best tracking product available for this purpose.

3.) SSANZ primary reason for having trackers on boats is for safety, having pretty pictures for the public is a great byproduct but not the driving concern.

4.) With a 1hour update we are happy from a safety point of view. If a boat is in trouble we can then have the transmission frequency increased for that boat. Trackers also have an alert button crews can push to immediately transmit a position and alert if the crew feels they have a problem.

5.) Every position transmission transmitted incurs a cost and a reduction in battery life. 1hr updates mean the trackers should complete the race without needing to be touched. For a small volunteer organisation this means we can concentrate on other tasks and put out more social media, photo's and reports (of which we can never seem to do enough anyway) than we could if we had to collect all trackers recharge and reinstall at every stopover (plus I need some time to enjoy a rum).

6.) If the tracker update intervals speed up later in the race it will be Yellowbrick's decision as they will have to pay the increased costs.

7.) SSANZ runs the race on a shoestring, other than a much appreciated grant from NZL Yachting Trust, entry fees need to cover costs. If all goes to plan this race will hopefully break-even, but this is only possible due to some great volunteers who despite having some expenses paid also inevitably incur their own personal costs as well.

8.) Greater media coverage though having professionals working for the event, super fast tracker updates etc etc etc are all possible but cost a lot. Either someone finds us a fantastic sponsor or entry fees have to drastically increase if thats the direction we decide to go. However there are limits to what competitors will pay as an entry fee and you could easily eliminate competitors if it got too much more expensive. With 4 legs, 3 stopovers the RNI is an expensive race to run with transport and accommodation required for a small race management team. Currently I think SSANZ have a pretty good balance and do amazing stuff for such a limited budget (prob under half the amount spent by taxpayers on a race that didn't even happen).

Anyway hopefully the above gives some understanding about why certain decisions have been made and eliminate some of the false information that has been posted in this thread.

Regards

Cameron Thorpe

Chairman

SSANZ

p.s I have personally brought the YB App and on my iPhone5 it has worked perfectly

Points 3 & 4 suggests safety is the highest priority

How about we all agree that Cameron, John and ssanz are doing an awesome job, the trackers are great as they allow us keep a close eye on the race and make it a much more spectator sport than what it used to be, and yeah sure there may be a few little hiccups but boo hoo, I for one would much rather have the trackers than nothing at all.

What he said!

Post race withdrawal symptoms:

*Lost 4.5kg weight.

*Still waking up thinking "Why is the boat so flat and who is driving?"

*Worst of all, Waking up to think "Why is Gav cuddling up next to me in the bunk?" That one wakes me up fast.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

One last comment on the RNI before getting back to building the dog fence which is #1 priority according to the household boss..

A BIG thank you to Gavin McPherson my crew. Gav was pulled in at the last minute to replace my original crew who pulled out. Gav's professional approach, despite the huge list of things to do and a boat that has some quirky performance characteristics really lifted the Marshall's results big time, and enabled me to learn what really makes this boat go (and what doesn't!!). Not taking anything from previous 2 handed crew mates, but I learned so, so much on this trip on how to make Ross 40s go.. That mainly came from Gavin's diverse experience, and being able to apply this to the Marshall's sail trim..

While it takes both of us to get the boat around the track, and most decisions were a team effort, I am not so deluded to think that I would have had such a great race without someone of Gav's calibre.

It speaks volumes that we were two people who had sailed together once (qualifier) and then were thrown into the race, yet I cannot remember one cross word between us. Given that I am not always that easy to work with, I reckon it speaks loudly for Gavin's ability to work with anyone and get the boat going.

Thanks heaps Gavin, and good luck with the new job mate!

Smithy

Marshall Law.

motorboat out!

Absolutely - the SSANZ team were unstoppable and are by far the best humoured/best organised race committee/organising bunch I've ever come across. Hats off to all, take a bow guys, you know who you are!!

Archived