Davidson 35

Kestrahl

The NZ boats you see out cruising are slowly moving on with the times. A P38 or Cav 36 is now an old boat. Finding one "cheap" intending for Cat 1 is not easy. Well, the cheap bit maybe, but the Cat 1 would then cost heaps more etc. Not too many people want to buy an old boat then spend 50k or more getting her up to cat 1. Yes, 50k is not unlikely, perhaps more. New standing rigging, new running rigging, keel off for survey, maybe a sail or 2, the list is almost endless. It's easier and cheaper to by a Bene or Bav etc, and not have to go thru so much of the above... So we see more of those out there as time passes, even though they are likey to be less capable structurally.

I heard that about the p38 too. Not sure why Peter went with the cav 39 over the 36 probably cos its bigger. We beat a p38 to fiji by over a day.

Hard to know what to do I can see some merit in a newer bendy boat etc but I look at it like this. I can probably get away with crossing the nw motorway on my skateboard but doesn't that make it a smart idea! !

Wandering Port moselle a couple of weeks ago we were going back to the baby boat at 47 ft. Astonishing just how big all the cruising boats were.

The thing is for good or for bad, the most common monohulls in Tonga last season were Beneteaus and Bavarias. It was also hard to find anything under 40ft. I didn't see a single P38 Cav39 or Cav36. So the definition of a offshore boat has definitely changed.
The NZ boats you see out cruising are slowly moving on with the times. A P38 or Cav 36 is now an old boat. Finding one "cheap" intending for Cat 1 is not easy. Well, the cheap bit maybe, but the Cat 1 would then cost heaps more etc. Not too many people want to buy an old boat then spend 50k or more getting her up to cat 1. Yes, 50k is not unlikely, perhaps more. New standing rigging, new running rigging, keel off for survey, maybe a sail or 2, the list is almost endless. It's easier and cheaper to by a Bene or Bav etc, and not have to go thru so much of the above... So we see more of those out there as time passes, even though they are likey to be less capable structurally.

The question is how do you get cat 1 on a brand new Beneteau 40 when the ballast ratio is 28.5% and draws 1.55m?

Archived