168 replies to this topic

#161 island time

island time

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 5,182 posts
  • LocationHome from Cruising, Now Gulf Harbour

Posted 09 April 2017 - 09:55 AM

Ash, great progress with the boat. Getting skilled help is difficult As I'm sure you have found out. Most of us are busy on our own boats, or work/family etc. Good luck with your targets, pretty tough ones!
By the way, a solo RNI is harder than the Tasman...

There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing, as simply messing about in boats

#162 Steve Pope

Steve Pope

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 02:16 PM

Welcome back!

#163 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,775 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 07:34 PM

I look at all of Ash's timber and think I do like building using that.

After spending 7 hours on a sander yesterday I'm itching in places that can get you arrested.......... and since 4 f**king am this morning. Lubed up with Mango some sh*t now, so far the best relief I've found. So a little off fibreglass right at the moment.

You going for any clear finish inside or are you painting it all?

#164 Scubash

Scubash

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 496 posts
  • LocationAuckland, NZ

Posted 10 April 2017 - 08:43 AM

Thanks for the welcome back!

Yes I know RNI is harder and if I can do it then I can definitely cross the Tasman. A certain certain someone suggested it to me as I could be making records and it's a good prep for the Tasman.

I know it's a Solo project, unless I pay someone to help me which I am. So because of that I really need to find out ASAP:

"I have a question re-galley....does anyone know the new gas regulations re the minimum height requirement from the top of the stove to the side decks? I'm going to put in an eno open sea with grill. A long while back, I had a cat 1 inspector come by the boat and he said there was a minimum, but it wasn't in the every day books, as I think they had just changed it or something of the sort. Can't really remember."

Does anyone know the answer to this?

Knot me, I'm still debating on finishes, but yes I put kauri ply in places with that purpose. Other places will be white washed like the under sides of the side decks. Maybe a dab of Colours here and there too... yeah I'm a girl, so what!
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." -William A. Ward

#165 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,775 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 08:05 AM

"I have a question re-galley....does anyone know the new gas regulations re the minimum height requirement from the top of the stove to the side decks? I'm going to put in an eno open sea with grill. A long while back, I had a cat 1 inspector come by the boat and he said there was a minimum, but it wasn't in the every day books, as I think they had just changed it or something of the sort. Can't really remember."

Does anyone know the answer to this?

I asked a inspector. It's another secret regulation that can only be answered by a gas installer, if you can find one who knows boats that is. I spoke to 3 of them and then decided as it is very obvious I know as much as they do so I just did it. But I did mock it up and put a pot on to boil while holding my hand against the top surface. I could hold my hand there while the cooker is running and I'm pretty sure my flesh is more inflammable than carbon fibre so I'm happy I'm fine. I have also allowed to put a reflective insulation skin on if I want too later. That's a sheet of alloy fixed 10mm off the surface which reflects heat and insulates the combustible surface behind it.

I have about 500mm from the burner to the bottom of the lid that raises up (when it is raised) when I use the cooker, when not in use it is down being part of the bench. When closed I only have 200mm odd.

Next week I'm moving into fit up mode so things will be being assembled for the final time and you can suss it if you like.

#166 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,775 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 10:08 AM

It's just got very interesting down our end of the fleet, baby boat land, Ash

Someone has just changed their boat for the race so we have a potential head to head match race in the offing.

Plus we may have 5 or 6 30fters on the startline...................... so pull finger ;)

#167 Scubash

Scubash

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 496 posts
  • LocationAuckland, NZ

Posted 21 November 2017 - 07:01 PM

Hello everyone...haven't been on here in a while... thought I would share a couple of photos!

To see more go to: https://www.facebook...Solo.Challenge/

23031626_1131701696961546_37789269225813

22448285_1120875321377517_39624491670731

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." -William A. Ward

#168 MarkMT

MarkMT

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 595 posts
  • LocationLake Zurich, Illinois

Posted 22 November 2017 - 02:21 AM

Fantastic work. Been following along on facebook. Good luck!

#169 Myjane

Myjane

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:35 PM

The photos look bigger than a 1/2 tonner inside , same era as my boat , a little tumblehone , fat at the bulkhead , fine in the entry , good to watch your progress

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users