Jump to content

johnMi

Advanced Members
  • Content Count

    924
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by johnMi

  1. Yes, a brilliant race, a bit of everything. It was great from the start under kite to North Head, except for the fact that we were being covered by all the big monos so we couldn't really hit our stride. We peeled to the screacher and headed off with Tigre nipping at our heels all the way to Leigh, sitting in the high teens all the way (max speed 20.2 knots). Then things went awry. From there to Whangarei heads the winds could be 100 degrees variation and anything from 0 to 18 knots. PlanB passed us both and we then match raced them for the next hour. At Whangarei heads the NNW came in a solid 15 to 18 knots and very lumpy seas. The boat took off sitting nicely on 7 to 9 knots, but every 30s or so the boat would go thru the waves rather than over and with all the crew needed near the bow to keep it down it was going to be another 6 to 7 hrs like this. We decided to pull out. I was really impressed with Sledge, and it wasn't her performance that caused us to pull out. She was pointing as high and going as fast as the monos around us. 20 yrs younger and I would have kept at it. It was nice to put her on the trailer at Marsden cove on Saturday and tow her home. Definitely an enjoyable race even if we didn't finish.
  2. think it cost me $75 when the same thing happened to me
  3. I thought I would just give you a bit of an insight into the race from 'Sledges' perspective. The Crew consisted of me, Dean Williamson (owner of Hurts) and Grant Williams a fellow member of BOPTYS. The start was VERY light with us, Vodafone and Superbird to cruz taking off in the Multi Division. For the 1st time in my life after about 20min of sailing we were actually ahead of vodafone for a (very) short period of time. We seemed to drift down the harbour pretty efficiently, battling our mainsail most of the way (Top battens wouldn't pop through with no wind). We followed Vodafone up to Rangi Light and only then were we overtaken by V5. I think Vodafone realised a new race record was not going to be achieved so they pulled out about 2 hrs into the race. We were only about 300 metres behind them at this stage. Once the wind got over 5 knots we pulled out the jib and stored the code 0. We sailed to Channel Is for the rest of the daylight hours in less than 10 knots. The weather was beautiful and we were visited frequently by dolphins. We were 19th around Channel Island. As night fell and we were around Channel Island, we set the genniker and enjoyed a beautiful sail with a full moon, and a nice (warm) breeze. Because we expected to sail at hotter angles than the monos, we decided to sail outside the Mercs, which gave us a good breeze all the way down the coast, getting some good double figure no's on the log. By Slipper Island we had worked our way to 6th. At about Slipper (I think) we swapped to a code 0, where the wind increased a little bit so we were sailing at about 14 knots at times. The seas started to get quite lumpy for some reason and I was concerned with the slamming and bashing so we went to the jib. About Waihi we went back to the Code 0 and crossed the line about 8.00 am. We finished 6th. Unfortunately sometime during the day Superbird to Cruise was hit with a bullet of wind that flipped her, so we ended up being the sole finisher in the Multi division.
  4. The weather could be quite good i think
  5. By the way, I am looking for another crew member, any one with a bit of experience on a multi would be welcome
  6. An enlightening Article, let's hope it's true that the sports media are barking up the wrong tree
  7. I reckon Deans being screwed unfairly here. Maybe he needs to step aside, but he has been loyal to NZ (at a time that everyone else was out for themselves) and should be treated fairly Who from the TNZ heirarchy leaked this. I hope if Dean is scrapped, he takes TNZ with him.
  8. I'm seriously thinking of doing it, need to find a crew.
  9. I'll go with that, a Irish Dutch Auction. The maximum price is what it is now, the minimum what someone buys it for. You don't place a bid, you purchase it at the advertised price Tell me when you want it and it'll be yours
  10. johnMi

    R2AK

    maybe I should just pack up PE and we do it in her, set up some rowing machines on each ama... nothing to loose
  11. johnMi

    R2AK

    This will be an interesting race to follow. www.R2AK.com
  12. Don't get upset ketchup, I'm not keen to hurt your feelings. You can play if you want.
  13. http://www.trademe.c... ... =815744297 I have decided to move Putiki Express on. From the 20th of February I will start a dutch Auction on her. The amount and duration between price alterations will be variable, but roughly about $100 a day To help those who are financially strapped or need to sell their boat first, I am willing to leave 50% of the finance in the boat for 1 yr, after that it will be at 15% till paid off. Security for the finance will be sought. Once a buyer buys, there will be NO negotiation, apart from the security needed for any subsequent finance There will be NO further comunication with other potential buyers. The boat is in a trailor park in Tauranga. Ready to view or sail. If a sail is sought a $200 non refundable fee is charged. This $200 will then be used as the deposit if Putiki is later purchased. Someone could be in for a nice cheap boat because I want it gone and unless I loose my nerve it will be sold. Please let me know if this ad alerted you to Putiki if you buy her so I can Compensate IT if so
  14. I have decided to move Putiki Express on. From the 20th of February I will start a dutch Auction on her. The amount and duration between price alterations will be variable, but roughly about $100 a day To help those who are financially strapped or need to sell their boat first, I am willing to leave 50% of the finance in the boat for 1 yr, after that it will be at 15% till paid off. Security for the finance will be sought. Once a buyer buys, there will be NO negotiation, apart from the security needed for any subsequent finance There will be NO further comunication with other potential buyers. The boat is in a trailor park in Tauranga. Ready to view or sail. If a sail is sought a $200 non refundable fee is charged. This $200 will then be used as the deposit if Putiki is later purchased. Someone could be in for a nice cheap boat because I want it gone and unless I loose my nerve it will be sold. Please let me know if this ad alerted you to Putiki if you buy her so I can Compensate IT if so
  15. johnMi

    RaceTrack

    Thanks IT i enjoy keeping track of the different boats. Mark, you do a great job, thanks.
  16. johnMi

    RaceTrack

    What's happened to RaceTrack
×
×
  • Create New...