Cyclone Bolthole in the Waitemata?

Adrianp

The forecast of a possible Cyclone hitting later in the week has got me wondering about options available for a shallow draft multi on a mooring. Northcote point is looking to get direct hit from the south easterlies with the current forecast - leaving a bunch of poorly maintained boats sitting upwind and a concrete breakwater downwind of us

Do people take their boats off the mooring and anchor them somewhere sheltered and dry at low tide?

Little Shoal Bay? Looks like it might get a bit of Southerly on Sunday according to one predictwind model.

Inside the Mangroves of Ngataringa Bay or Shoal Bay?

Or just lash everything down and hope for the best on the mooring?

pull into westhaven for the weekend?

there used to be one or two boats way up ngataringa in the mud, almost to the golf course, and that would be sheltered from everything.

Ive had boats survive on a mooring in Shoal Bay in some fierce conditions, being on the inside few lines of boats is always the worst though.

I had Voom on the mooring where Whio is for a while and went down there one evening in a big South east gale and watched as waves were breaking over the bows and rolling down the tramps, the bows were fully under on the bigger swells. I just sat there and watched thinking there was absolutely nothing I could do if it came off anyway.

Moral of the story is go home, have a rum, turn the stereo up loud so you can't hear any storm outside and hope you have tied it up to the mooring well.

You can help thing by trying to reduce the windage etc as much as possible and putting an extra set of bow lines onto the top chain but other than that find solace in alcohol, and really hope one of those unmaintained shitters further out doesn't break off.

I used to live in beachhaven just east of shepherds park. That part of Helyers creek would be a good spot (bottom of Paragon Ave has a dinghy ramp , and there's a shallow bay where you could sit on the mud which is sheltered by cliffs and big trees from all southerly directions). You might worry more about people damage than storm damage there - perhaps a good spot if you feel like hanging out on board for the weekend.

Maybe tucked in part way up motions creek between Westmere and Meola reef. Another place that has a walkway down to it and would be sheltered from the SE.

Ive had boats survive on a mooring in Shoal Bay in some fierce conditions, being on the inside few lines of boats is always the worst though.

I had Voom on the mooring where Whio is for a while and went down there one evening in a big South east gale and watched as waves were breaking over the bows and rolling down the tramps, the bows were fully under on the bigger swells. I just sat there and watched thinking there was absolutely nothing I could do if it came off anyway.

Moral of the story is go home, have a rum, turn the stereo up loud so you can't hear any storm outside and hope you have tied it up to the mooring well.

You can help thing by trying to reduce the windage etc as much as possible and putting an extra set of bow lines onto the top chain but other than that find solace in alcohol, and really hope one of those unmaintained shitters further out doesn't break off.

wTF?...

Moral of the story is...

Be prepared and move to a safer mooring. Which is what was asked for.

To suggest you do nothing, sit at home , and turn the stereo up, hoping your boat is not smashed up, if rather thoughtless and reckless.

wTF?...

Moral of the story is...

To suggest you do nothing, sit at home , and turn the stereo up, hoping your boat is not smashed up, if rather thoughtless and reckless.

You knob.

He actually said reduce windage, increase mooring lines.

Moving off a mooring you know to be in good condition, with sufficient water to let boat swing into wind, seems a fairly reckless thing to do in my opinion, unless moving to a marina, and that isn't actually an option in many cases.

wTF?...

Moral of the story is...

You knob.

He actually said reduce windage, increase mooring lines.

Moving off a mooring you know to be in good condition, with sufficient water to let boat swing into wind, seems a fairly reckless thing to do in my opinion, unless moving to a marina, and that isn't actually an option in many cases.

The only Knob here is you Clipper.

Read the post/posts in context.

...he is seeking a BOLTHOLE' and for VB to suggest what he did is not correct IMO.

Staying on a exposed mooring, no matter how good you THINK it is, when a safe marina is just across the harbour, is stupid. Then to say you should try to reduce wind age when a safe marina is across the harbour just compounds the stupidity.

Please Read the posts.

My point is the mooring inspection regime is fairly robust which gives us reasonably reliable mooring systems which should be able to withstand 60 knots for a short period of time, (and it looks like this one will only be here for about 18 hours or so). So you do your best to help the boat's situation by adding lines etc. and waiting it out. I for one would rather have the boat securely tied to a well certified and very recently inspected half ton mooring block than sitting at anchor in 50 knots.

Freeeeeeeeeedom, a place to hide from South/Southeast breeze could be up the shallows just west of the Greenhithe bridge, between Hobsonville and Herald Island.

As a FYI, a 30ft Cat would expect to see around 1300-1500 kilos of horizontal load in 60kts of wind. So the load required to hold it in one spot isn't large hence a mooring in OK nik should be more than fine, especially if the mooring has transitioned to the newer ACC 'seriousy overkill and over the top' specifications. That's assuming the boats allowed to keep head to wind.

Thanks for the ideas guys and gals.

A Marina isn't an option for us at the moment, so looks like we might be best to reduce windage and chuck some extra ropes onto the mooring - and go home and drink some rum!

Thanks for the ideas guys and gals.

A Marina isn't an option for us at the moment, so looks like we might be best to reduce windage and chuck some extra ropes onto the mooring - and go home and drink some rum!

Aaah... So you will be thoughtless and reckless like me then... :D

But the problem is that I can see our moorings from my lounge - so it might require a lot of rum to forget about them.

Lucky I make my own rum and have lots available! :D :D

My point is the mooring inspection regime is fairly robust which gives us reasonably reliable mooring systems which should be able to withstand 60 knots for a short period of time, (and it looks like this one will only be here for about 18 hours or so). So you do your best to help the boat's situation by adding lines etc. and waiting it out. I for one would rather have the boat securely tied to a well certified and very recently inspected half ton mooring block than sitting at anchor in 50 knots.

Freeeeeeeeeedom, a place to hide from South/Southeast breeze could be up the shallows just west of the Greenhithe bridge, between Hobsonville and Herald Island.

the words Fairly, Should, reasonable and short are words that do not say everything is 100% ok.

also what if the wind peaks at 70,80 knots?

I would think it safer in a flat marina that a lee shore.

Sailor X there is nothing that is ever 100% OK. What if the wind peaked at 150knts? The small cat could blow away if ashore or anywhere! There could be a fault in the mooring or tie down gear, lightning could strike and break something important. If it were possible to be 100 percent sure, none of us would need insurance. You do what you can, bad stuff sometimes still happens!

A lot of cyclone prep is personal choice - location, stay/go, marina or mangroves, parachute or drogue.

People are fully entitled to make their own choices. Yours is not the Only right answer. IMO.

Archived