Cyclone Bolthole in the Waitemata?

Adrianp

Sailor X there is nothing that is ever 100% OK. What if the wind peaked at 150knts? The small cat could blow away if ashore or anywhere! There could be a fault in the mooring or tie down gear, lightning could strike and break something important. If it were possible to be 100 percent sure, none of us would need insurance. You do what you can, bad stuff sometimes still happens!

A lot of cyclone prep is personal choice - location, stay/go, marina or mangroves, parachute or drogue.

People are fully entitled to make their own choices. Yours is not the Only right answer. IMO.

I have never suggested it was the right solution Matt. I just think it is Better safe than sorry.... unless of course you enjoy watching your boat damaged while enjoying a good rum from the lounge :crazy:

I also on suggested people answer the original request for options. Which I did and others did not.

No rocket science involved in being smart before the problem as opposed to after.

Not to mention, gettin a proper berth in a marina for a 5+m wide cat isn't exactly easy.

Easier than you than if you look at wharf/space available as opposed to berth space.

The marina staff have options.

Interesting thread. Pretty much sums up my thoughts since I saw wind guru forecasting 60 knot's. What about west park marina? Any multi berths out there? I have confidence in my mooring but there's a real shitter right next to me that would smash me to pieces on 2 seconds if its bollard ripped out of its rotten deck...

Interesting thread. Pretty much sums up my thoughts since I saw wind guru forecasting 60 knot's. What about west park marina? Any multi berths out there? I have confidence in my mooring but there's a real shitter right next to me that would smash me to pieces on 2 seconds if its bollard ripped out of its rotten deck...

Exactly!... boom! you got it.

There is more to these scenarios than "how good is my mooring" thinking.

Well said Samin.

Why not check out this location in Hellyers creek? - I used to live there, it doesn't get any better than this for riding out a southerly in Auckland. the tide would be right for going up there on Friday night. A few of you could go there and anchor up for a two day party:

https://maps.google.co.nz/maps?q=maps+paragon+ave+beach+haven&ll=-36.786157,174.691007&spn=0.007235,0.009645&safe=off&hnear=Paragon+Ave,+Beach+Haven,+Auckland+0626&gl=nz&t=h&z=17

It's actually a really lovely spot.

have the multi cruise to Riverhead, run up onto a mudbank and drink rum.

we have a STILL on our boat....we are SAVED!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jezzz, and I thought I made a silly comment earlier in this thread about making rum at home, let along on the boat! :D :D :D

As far as I recall, the closest boats to you are voom, whio and capricorn....

What are you saying about our boats Samin? :x

have the multi cruise to Riverhead, run up onto a mudbank and drink rum.

we have a STILL on our boat....we are SAVED!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jezzz, and I thought I made a silly comment earlier in this thread about making rum at home, let along on the boat! :D :D :D

That might be so..if it was not TRUE!!! :roll:

How to moor a Multihull in the face of a cyclone:

Find beach with mangroves.

Find out high tide. Make sure you are not at the top of a spring tide, or you will get neaped (stranded)

Place boat on beach at High tide.

Tie to mangroves, run out anchors and tension.

Wait for tide to go out.

Then and only then revert to rum.

Not that hard people.

Pulse mangroves.jpg

As far as I recall, the closest boats to you are voom, whio and capricorn....

What are you saying about our boats Samin? :x

Lol

Wat about the keel boat directly south east of me with soggy wetbix decks and a mussel farm halfway up the topsides

Now are you all feeling good about doing nothing to get your shallow draft multihull to a safe spot, away from the well forecast SE gale this morning?

Right now I have seven lines ashore, but most of the time it is so sheltered that my wind generator isn't working.

Much better than one mooring rope, with waves crashing over the boat, worrying about the dodgy old boat to windward...

Now are you all feeling good about doing nothing to get your shallow draft multihull to a safe spot, away from the well forecast SE gale this morning?

Right now I have seven lines ashore, but most of the time it is so sheltered that my wind generator isn't working.

Much better than one mooring rope, with waves crashing over the boat, worrying about the dodgy old boat to windward...

I'm on chain to 4 mooring lines, extra ropes around sail cover, everything I could off the deck. Looking at 30-40 only at bean, so pretty relaxed for sure.

We managed to sort our insurance issues and could book a Westhaven pile mooring for the weekend. Feeling much happier with the boat tied to 5 poles now that it's blowing 42, gusting 50 at Bean Rock!

Its currently NE so the Northcote Multis are getting a pretty easy ride so far.

Archived