First time Trailer Cruiser for Hauraki and Barrier?

TwoSail

Mrs TwoSail and I have been toying with buying a cruiser for some time. Im an experienced fiz boat fisherman and did learn to sail in my youth on optimists but havnt done so for 30 years. She is a relative novice. I think we will likely have to do a cruiser course.

In the mean time we are wanting to start window shopping so to speak. We want a trailer sailer. I realise a keeler would be better but thats where we are at now. We want it to be big enough for ourselves and our future family of 2 (thats the plan).

What would be considered the minimum size for getting to Barrier and the Coromandel and round the back to say Great Mercury?

A Noelex 25 would be a bad choice? Too small?

In the mean time we are buying a sailing dinghy to brush up on and get her use to wind power (not mine that is).

Nolex 25 was the first that came to mind

Plenty have done just what your planing in them

Just need to take your time and let the wind be on the the beam or aft

Thanks for the quick response Jon

So 25fts big enough for Barrier? Ive been out there a few times on the ferry when its scary lol.

This is something we want to be able to tow to BOI, taupo etc, hence the trailer side of things.

Mrs has been reading this book about a couple who set off on there yacht and shes all romantic about it, which of course Im playing along with to get her enthusiasm up. We are both keen on surfing, diving, fishing, spearing. So it all goes hand in hand. We also like the idea of raising our future family with these experiences.

We did the gulf for 12 years in a 20ft TY

Kids would play up forward when we were underway.

25ft is really as big as you need to go with a TY as your restricted by towing beam

Also consider a Trogan or Gazelle

But they are all getting old now so be careful

We bought a TY thinking we would also do BOI and Lakes etc but never got beyond the gulf as there is so much to do there,

So consider a keeler also as they are more stable and you will get more boat for you buck.

Good luck

Jon

If I want down the keeler path, could you give me a brief overview of the costs for mooring etc? its the cost of maintenance and mooring that concerns me.

Also, I know I shouldnt ask this, but would a MacGregor 26M be a bad choice given we are not and probably unlikely ever to be harcore yachties?

Yep, bad choice! The Magregor is neither a sailboat nor a motorboat. IMO they do not sail well, nor motor well. The designs listed would all be fine. Also a Pacer (Allan Wright design, similar to Noelex 30) would be good. Check the trailer as carefully as the boat - they are as expensive!

Yes yes and yes bad choice to the second question the motor better than a yacht and sail better than a launch, but only just

As to the first they will workout very similar and probably cheaper to have a keeler on a swing mooring

The thing with a TY is the cost of either parking them somewhere and a launching vehicle or a tow vehicle and enough room at home to park both, you will need a large 4wd to tow a 25fter or a water ballasted one ?

Then the trailers are expensive and rust.

Someone else may have more recent knowledge of this but I'm sure that unless you have spare land and have a work vehicle that you can use the keeler option will work out better

The other thing with say a 28 ft keeler is it will have a lot more beam meaning a lot more storage.

Just at a quick glance something like this would be a possible option http://www.tradeaboat.co.nz/detail/mari ... /28/172937

well already have a landcruiser diesel so thats a non issue and plenty of space to park the thing, as for trailers, yep they are costly and need maintenance, i am however use to doing this work on power boat trailers. so most of the costs would be negligible for me, but i can see in a lot of peoples circumstances a TY being similar cost.

how much is a swing mooring per year? how much is anti fouling and maintenance? just a rough guide.

yeh i didnt think the macgregor was for me anyway, just looked different.

i basically want the most comfortable boat for sub $50k, performance is not very important, safety is paramount and comfort is close behind.

darn that davidson looks like a lot of boat for not too much money.

I'll let someone else answer the mooring bit but if you tell us where your based will help

As for anti foul $500 per year depending on where you do it and if you do it all yourself

But if your only cruising you will get 18 to 24 months out of it, but that also depends on if your in a fast flowing river or a still bay.

im on the hibiscus coast.

well that aint much coin at all. i think the mooring price is going to shock me though haha.

$25k yacht and $25k worth of rum, sounds like a better proposition :-)

which is the best cruising trailer sailer?

im starting to consider a moored boat though, the figures dont look that bad. i was using marina berth prices for power boats in my equation prior.

Mrs Phil Star here, if your wife is new to sailing I would leave the barrier/mercs for awhile and stick to the island close by as they are awesome. It took us 4 years before we got out to the barrier in our Ross 780 as you really need to pick your weather as it is open water out there. We had an awesome ride with the code zero up reaching in 15-20 knots in 2 meter waves but it would of put me off sailing 5 years ago as I was new to sailing back then.

We own a Ross 780 and she is prefect for our family (2 1/2 and 5yrs) as she is great for cruising and awesome to race, when there is a bit of wind she powers up and goes.

Hubby and I belong to Manly Sailing Club and we have about 5 keen ladies that race/sail on Sunday mornings and if you want to come and have a chat to us about trailer sailors/sailing at Manly give us a call on 021 1175 176. Cheers Katie

yeeeees buy a ross 780 and come and play on Whangapoaroa with us.

This boat Madness is a really lovely boat and is actually phenomenal value.

R780's rarely come up for sale and they're good stiff safe boats. I'm biased but I reckon they're probably the best bang for buck you can get.

As the missus said don't try to run before you can walk. Its easier to take it easy and get your wife into sailing rather than scare the crap out of her and she'll only come once.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/boats-m ... 040081.htm

thanks for that :-)

the mrs isnt worried about big seas. we do plenty of that now and some in power boats and offshore surfing. its more she doesnt know how to sail. i dont think those kinds of conditions will phase her. maybe 100ft and 50knts+ isnt her thing.

If your on the Hibiscus Coast you could join the Weiti Boating Club. Pile moorings are about $800 / year including club membership. Well sheltered from big storms compared to a swing mooring, the club has good haul out facilities and piles for drying out, so maintenance for a keeler is cheap. Plenty of social activities, cruising races and bbqs to boot.

Weiti.co.nz

There is a rumour some members are known to drink rum as well.

thanks bally but we not ready to buy yet. if i had the choice it would be for more size than rum :-)

thanks fish thats cheap, i didnt realise mooring could be so cheap. sail boats are so much cheaper than power boats in all ways. i showed the mrs what we can buy and she was amazed compared to the power boats we were looking at.

Those Gazelles are a well set up Trailer Sailor a couple of sallies sailed one around New Zealand a few years back.

Personally prefer to have a lump of lead at the end of my Keel.

I grew up with family holidays cruising on a trailer yacht and can testify that the Barrier is very do-able in a Noelex 25, we even did it on a Noelex 22! We towed the boat from the Naki so launched from Whitianga to make it a bit closer. The boat was parked at home and we towed it with a V8 Holden.

The Noelex 25s with the pop top give you more headroom and they are under-rigged so very stable for cruising.

Archived