First time Trailer Cruiser for Hauraki and Barrier?

TwoSail

It amazes me that you can get semi decent trailer sailer for sub $15k, there should be more power boat converts.

Back on topic, what sort of keel does the noelex 22 and 25 use, are they lifted with a bulb/weight? Also are there any water balas trailer sailers?

Jim young 780 plus i think a 6 and 5 metre size are water ballast trailer sailers also the joker range [820] all are mostly home built ply boats but have heaps of room , sail well and light to tow on a trailer. Size matters for comfort but if you watch the weather smaller t/s are quite capable of cruising to the barrier, we did mercury Cuvier is and East coast of barrier in a Hartley 16 with no problems, small boats mean small problems.

Well I have talked the Mrs into a mooring/keeler.

We are even joining a boat club.

We have decided to save up and spend a bit more, $60-90k.

So what is the ultimate in comfort for that kind of money? Something newer as the Mrs is paranoid about old boats.

Very excited as we are planning a family as well and I think it could be happy sailing with a family when they a couple years on.

Twosail, that is a huge change from where you started!

You can get a real good cruiser for that! When you get into keel boats, age is not as much an issue as condition and maintenance. Many of the older NZ built keelers are considered stronger and more seaworthy than some of the newer production boats.

If I were you, I'd have a look at a Farr 1020. Not new, but there are still good ones around. Several on trademe. They are in your budget range, but at the higher end. They have the name, and are know and easy (easier?) to sell. Allan Wright might be another designer to look out for. Look at boats advertised at up to about 110 - 120, then negotiate when you find the right one. It's still a buyers market!

In that price bracket an Elliott 10 would be 70-80k and a lot of boat for the money. Just make sure the keel bolts have been done - if done no problem, if not or dont know... its worth looking closely at that area as a few fell off.

Sea Biscuit was for sale over summer for circa 80k asking. A lot of roomy boat that gets along and good resale being an Elliott in NZ.

Archived