Devonport YC Single Handed Race [Hauraki Series Race #7]

Devonport YC Single Handed

Saturday, 12 April 2014

This is also Race #7 of the Hauraki Singlehanded Series.

A good length course with something for everyone and a great way to wrap up the season.

Event details at http://www.dyc.org.nz/sailing/single.htm and NoR at http://www.dyc.org.nz/sailing/NORShortHanded.htm

Alternatively via the HSS page at http://richmondyc.org.nz/racing/info/ha ... ed-series/

BBQ at DYC from 1600 and prizegiving the Friday following.

See you there.

Thanks to New World Devonport for their support.

Probably not so likely with the 88 Nats on.

You entered CC? I've seen a number of entries go past today but not you so far. Let me know if you have.

Thanks all for supporting and good to see some wind this year.

Results are under way, some late entries to figure out, but should be available soon.

Just a note about the prizegiving, I believe this has been put back from the published 18th as it's Easter weekend.

Results as promised. Not formatted sorry but columns are:

Boat TCF Finish Elapsed Corrected Line HCP

Tack Hammer 0.705 13:26:50 4:26:50 3:08:07 6 1

Heaven 'n' Hell 0.765 13:09:27 4:09:27 3:10:50 2 2

Zilch 0.705 13:33:13 4:33:13 3:12:37 8 3

Bondi Tram 0.760 13:15:35 4:15:35 3:14:15 3 4

Revolution Blues 0.735 13:24:43 4:24:43 3:14:34 5 5

Corner Bar Cruiser0.677 13:48:09 4:48:09 3:15:05 9 6

Oracle 0.780 13:15:39 4:15:39 3:19:24 4 7

Cool Change 0.750 13:28:42 4:28:42 3:21:31 7 8

Sublime 1.020 12:37:15 3:37:15 3:41:36 1 9

thansk RC... and devonport yc.... nice day for a sail....

the results show i was not man enough to put the big kite up off the start...the after north head when i got it up it was all too late...

very impressed how a y88 goes upwind with No.1 and full main ..flogging like a sheet in the wind and i still couldnt catch him..!! lost a bit too much ground when i changed down to No.2 behind motuihe...

and thanks bondi tram for luffing me 100m from the finish.. debatable being legal... as you went above head to wind..

never mind i shouldnt of been behind you in the first place hey..!

thanks for a great series and the tight competition. for my year of gently getting back into racing.

very impressed how a y88 goes upwind with No.1 and full main ..flogging like a sheet in the wind and i still couldnt catch him..!! lost a bit too much ground when i changed down to No.2 behind motuihe....

#1 wasn't really the right sail for the job. I wanted to change down on the reach from motutapu to motuhie but The Ross 930 surfboard was running me down and overtook me. I saw you battling away bare headed & thought that's not worth putting my beer down for. Doing a single handed headsail change is a real b!tch and costs a lot of ground - 88's are only allowed hanks :thumbdown: so persevered with the 1. Saw 18 knots true, was a bit flappy but wasn't much slower than the #2, just had to flatten the main right off & crank the back stay. You had a nice come back on the bondi surfboard :)

Race report from Revolution Blues -

I got caught out by the start sequence, happened to see the P-board dropping, but was fortunately close to the line and had the kite keyed up so all went passably. HnH got his usual glamour start and I think I was 2nd or 3rd across with Zilch below and Corner Bar Cruiser just behind. Once the kite set it was off to North Head, trying to balance getting rolled from behind and getting too deep in the dead patch. I kept the kite too tight for a time trying to stay above Cool Change and Bondi Tram, both flying code zeros - which was a mistake and Zilch got by underneath in the better breeze and tide out a bit farther. The cat was taking its time passing us all, don't know the story, and Oracle had a slow start and got the mast head up after North Head as he mentioned. At Rangi is was HnH followed by CC and BT, with Zilch and myself close behind. The cat was out there somewhere but not on the radar, CBC and the non-spinnaker boats now off the pace.

On the run to Billy Goat Pt I finally got some speed on and overtook Zilch and nearly caught BT as he changed to the kite. CC didn't seem to be going well with the zero in the backing breeze and fell off. Oracle was coming on strong with the masthead up. We rounded BGP as HnH, BT, RB, Oracle, Zilch, CC... kept ahead of Oracle for a time by holding the kite higher and longer. Dropped to the #1 for the reach to Motuihe, with BT catching HnH and Oracle powering past. The cat also looked to be having a nice ride and finally sped past us all. Somewhere back there was the little boat Tackhammer coming on strong.

At motuihe the Bean Rock nowcasting was in the high teens so down with the #1 and up with the #2 - I find if I do this incrementally I loose less time and so the setup took about 5 mins with little loss and the hoist took about 1 min down and up, then get some speed on a clean up. I put some time into Oracle while he dropped for sure. Rest of the race was upwind with big lifts in the tide and in the curvy winds at North Head. My tack into NH looked like a boomerang, bending in the right direction fortunately! I lost touch with the bigger boats but was pacing CC and watching TH slowly ride up on us both - very impressive upwind from the little boat. He got over CC but did not have enough room to catch me, whew.

Very enjoyable race and a great finish to the HSS - I'll update the HSS post with series prizegiving plans soon. Thanks DYC!

and thanks bondi tram for luffing me 100m from the finish.. debatable being legal... as you went above head to wind..

Above head to wind in conditions gusting 16 - 18 with wind against tide chop :crazy: So in effect you are saying I managed to tack twice in front of you and not stall. I am sure you believe in the Easter Bunny too :lol: :lol: I gave you several polite visual warnings not to try and roll over the top of me. Go past well to weather or blast through my lee (force me to tack away if you really want) or tack away. Try your luck and pay the price.....

I was expecting the wind to be more norwest on Sat. but no mainly west so had a flat off down Rangi not good for me, have to get a kite for flat off. Just have small genniker so a bit slow. Last to bottom but good reach to Motuhie breeze up.

Some were changing headsails , my only other headsail is a tornado jib so a little small.

Good on the wind, speed and heading, but tacking was real slow, boat has too much admin, for single handing. Slowly put time on boats ahead some nice shifts helped .Pleased with way she went never used the cant at all and with only 150kg on keel had plenty of power in form stability.

Finished then back to Bucks to derig and trail home to Waipu.

Thanks Devonport yacht club. :thumbup:

Archived