Why is elephant cove...

John B

a few views , no ideas?

Have I missed some geographic feature in profile or some such ? chart form doesn't tell me anything either. or at least , I cain't see it.

one of the headlands (west i think) looks a bit like an elephant head... look at it with your head tilted to one side and an eye closed. bit like little barrier supposedly looking like one of the queens lying down when viewed from GBI

Have a closer look. There are at least 3 elephants looking at you out of the rocks when you're in the bay. Really obvious.long trunks, big ears.

Have a closer look. There are at least 3 elephants looking at you out of the rocks when you're in the bay. Really obvious.long trunks, big ears.

I'll do that, thanks.

:P Yes they are not as obvious as in the old days -- or so I am told, but last summer with a few Townsons squeezed in there and after a swim and a rumbo I think I got it.

These elephants wouldn't happen to be pink would they... :lol:

What kicked all this inquistive stuff off was the noticing of an elephant in the islet / rock just to the south of the cove. But we didn't stop in Happy jack this easter so I couldn't test whether you could see it from the cove. Its probably too far away but ....

What about the pig in Kiwiriki.. anyone seen that? Or the african head in the broken islands...

Home alone  this weekend so I thought elephant hunting might be a good idea.

Poor light sat afternoon / evening but  yep I saw one elephant ,and then as the evening 'progressed', another couple came into view.... One was a really good one too .

So I call that a success. And great sailing too.

Next geographical feature?

Good to know, good to know.

But we are still on elephants, so  look for the eye and then you'll get the head emerge from the rock . Should this not work , apply rum, and have another go. Carry on this way  until successful. If the elephants emerge as pink , then stop immediately.

Here's the elephant rock / islet a mile to the south of elephant cove.

IMG_6074.jpg

Now that's a pachyderm fer sure!.

Archived