New Boats

Black Panther

Link at the bottom of this article...

http://www.sailingscuttlebutt.com/2014/06/03/rules-released-35th-americas-cup/#sthash.Y6HaqL35.gbpl

62ft wing sail cats, 25% of your crew to be nationals of the country you sail for, racing from 2015/2016 in AC45s to contribute to points to go to the AC final, series of races in 2017 in AC62's also contributes, each nation that enters will get a series in the AC62's in their country if they want it...

racing from 2015/2016 in AC45s to contribute to points to go to the AC final, series of races in 2017 in AC62's also contributes,

Sounds familiar. Didn't that work out well last time - not!

Oracle going to cheat to win the AC45 circuit again?

the changes are just laughable. Oracle get to have two boats, will race in the challangers series, which in all likelyhood will be in a different locale to the cup match.

can anyone remember why Ellison was so wound up at Berterelli?

I recall it was partly to do with them racing in the challenger series?

I think the protocol, and the plans for the events are a joke.

Why use non foiling AC45s?

Why do the results matter?

Why does defender get to race with challengers?

Why do they get 2 boats?

Way to go Oracle, continue the tradition of grossly slanting the rules in the defenders favour.

I repeat, JOKE

So - how many challengers can be expected? is it worthwhile for NZ to be in?

We'll find out soon...

The entry period is open from June 9th to August 8th 2014.
We'll find out soon...
The entry period is open from June 9th to August 8th 2014.
Don't expect to know where the event is prior to entries closing, Dalts isn't.

They chatted to him and he said it's getting very hard for TNZ to continue and it is quite possible they won't be doing it. Funding is getting too hard as they need so much of it. He said 'It's likely this will be a billionaire only event'.

I have one word. BOYCOTT!

If no teams enter then it all goes back to the drawing board.

Until today, I have been amongst the most staunch supporters of the Cup and believed that ETNZ (or what ever they are going to be called) had to be part of the next event.

Not with those rules.

can anyone remember why Ellison was so wound up at Berterelli?

I recall it was partly to do with them racing in the challenger series?

I think the protocol, and the plans for the events are a joke.

Why use non foiling AC45s?

Why do the results matter?

Why does defender get to race with challengers?

Why do they get 2 boats?

Way to go Oracle, continue the tradition of grossly slanting the rules in the defenders favour.

I repeat, JOKE

Being the secret "sailor X" I say anything we at Oracle can do to" stick it up them Kiwis" the better.

But seriously. Agree totally Clipper. Its a joke on a mammoth scale.

The lead up for months in the . 45's will be as boring as "bat sh*t in the bat cave"

Why go backwards from what was awesome. FFS it will be like formula one with 6 cylinder motors and a mini moke lead up series.

The Defender in the challenger series is bulllllllllshit! And can influence the results.

I like the mystery of keeping the to teams "seperated"

Also the defender is allowed 2 x 65's the challenger 1x. How does that work!

Larry may well alienate challengers with this monopoly!

Well it certainly seems the next event will be quite representative of the modern AC, change for changes sake and taking forever to do it. Not sure it rated top spot in the news though, surely NZ has more pressing things than the AC.

Dump the AC and go with the Vendee Globe instead. Real boats more can identify with, sailed harder, raced closer, has passing lanes, harder race to win, watched by more people and you could run the entire round the world race 10 times for the same coin as the last AC.

I'm with Crocket. If all potential challengers just walked away then what would Oracle have? A tin mug no one else wants.

I get the challenge if there's a chance, but clearly these rules have been because they came very close to losing it. But WTF is the Challenger of Record doing accepting these rules? Where are their balls? Safely tucked away I'd guess.

Chillax dudes.

This is the AC.

The more of a challenge it is the more sweet the victory. Lets face it it will be no more difficult than last time or any other time.

The main issue is the stupid idea that we will enjoy them racing Mini mokes prior to the new slower cats.

Money is not the issue. Just fairness and developing a spectacle.

After the last event. The next will be a let down.

A bit like what has happened to formula one!... slower, quieter, boring.

NZ should flag it and do something new and exciting. Maybe offshore around the world foiling.

Archived