Should the taxpayer stump up?

Spend my taxes on TNZ  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Spend my taxes on TNZ

• Yes
    • Haven't decided
    • No

Should the taxpayer stump up to keep TNZ ticking over until Lazza and his lackies can their shite together?

The sum being mentioned is between 5 and 12 million........ working from hearing assorted people involved chatting over the last day or 2.

Nope I'm over it. They can stump up their own money. Sick of funding their vulgar displays of wealth while delivering nothing but chokes and waving their dicks around where they shouldn't . Let them open their own pockets till we see results. If they win, they get double their money back.

The public have turned their backs, rightly so. Time to get a real job guys. It would be political suicide for the government to be dishing out cash to losers. There's no shortage of winners in NZ for photo ops in election year.

How's that? I tried to hold back

Wow... tell us how you really feel. I tend to agree though, if the money isn't available in a true market/commercial sense then the taxpayer shouldn't be left holding the empty bath.

No more money for them !!! , they are a business , not a National team. Choking , pay packets , and egos aside...it's not a Team picked from trials. Very pleased to see Joyce say no to them for more money. Thank God. If they are so so good at raising money , get it commercially or from their own fund raising. Not from Govt (taxpayer). I am with you Wild Oats , hard to hold back !

No the Govt should not fund TNZ.

GD has stated that they are in a very good place funding wise but the money is not available till a later date. Should the Govt give TNZ an interest free loan until the sponsorship money becomes available? I would like to see TNZ challenge for the AC again. They came so close last time and would have a big head start on all the other challengers.

The best thing that could happen to the AC is for Ellison & Coutts to lose it.

Nope I'm over it. They can stump up their own money. Sick of funding their vulgar displays of wealth while delivering nothing but chokes and waving their dicks around where they shouldn't . Let them open their own pockets till we see results. If they win, they get double their money back.

The public have turned their backs, rightly so. Time to get a real job guys. It would be political suicide for the government to be dishing out cash to losers. There's no shortage of winners in NZ for photo ops in election year.

How's that? I tried to hold back

Bravo! :clap: :clap: :angel: :angel: :angel:

The gravy train has run 13 years. Time for Team choke to take their personal wealth and stump up themselves.

I was originally against it but after the dust has settled post protocol release I think they have a reasonable chance. Also would be awesome if we can get some AC racing in Auckland either 45's or 62's.

The money comes out of the primary industries budget there has to be a business case for it and if it doesn't go to the AC team it will go elsewhere.

Also after watching the full news conference here (worth the watch for some insight) http://www.sail-world.com/index.cfm?nid=123268 it is obvious a lot of our media has got the wrong end of the stick and surprise surprise they are sensationalising.

I wouldn't like them to end this way.

TNZ have scoffed through 5 million of taxpayer funds and are requesting another 5/6 million to survive one financial year WTF.

Time for a urgent public audit of TNZ financial affairs I would have thought.

Maybe Dalts and Deano could reach into their own swollen wallets and keep this train wreck running.

Do not use taxpayer funds to assist a corporate pissing match.

Sadly, I am with the status Quo. No more cash from the government. They had their chance and blew it, and from the stories I have heard, a lot of this was down to Dalts making poor decisions during the cup itself. If the new rules had been remotely fair, then maybe, but they are up against it big time, and I think the best thing they can do is to walk away. It is sad indeed, but it has become so much about the money now and so little about the sailing, that it is time to show Team Lazza the respect they deserve. A single finger.. Their loss! No TNZ will devalue the cup big time.

With all the other teams... we have seen this before. How many will still be around with a credible challenge at the end?? Not many I would say. It's just the same old thing again. Rather than build on what was an incredible spectacle, (mainly thanks to TNZ who led the way with foiling), they have decided to keep the cup at all costs and play the same game that Berterelli played a decade or so ago. Sad indeed. Shame on Larry and Russell.

I would rather have seen them do the Volvo.

Interesting and seems to be mirroring other similar ask questions around the traps. Maybe not as much No here as other places but then there is more yachties here who like the AC.

89 total comments in only 2 subjects in the Herald today (as at 8pm). The TNZ story has 72 of them, easy 90% are saying No.

Also interesting to see the world, the yachting one at least, watching TNZ so closely at the moment. I found that sad as the English one had Princess Hottie with the cracking arse (yes I sussed the photo) and whatever Dalts has got is never going better that cheeky number :)

The banjo players on SA have their dials set to 'Maximum Rabatity'. Some are that rabid it's hilarious.

I think that since TNZ is funded for the most part by off shore money, the government should at least make the road as easy as possible for the team to continue. If they fall over, that money will not come to NZ, so everyone misses out. And on the off chance we win the thing, we don't want to be dealing with a multimillion dollar version of 'the little red hen' What if the team is about to fold next week and a sponsor like Emirates offers to throw in another $10m in exchange for potential hosting rights.....?

Wouldn't surprise me if Oracle, Coutts, Ellison, were just dragging it out, given how public TNZs situation is, they (Oracle) could easily push it till it falls over and offer a few of the crew and shore crew from TNZ some offers they couldn't refuse.

Agreed, I'm sure most of the them could make plenty more money with an overseas team.

Make no mistake about it if ETNZ does fold it will be a huge loss to the country, they bring in a sh*t load more money than they cost.

And as for those XXXXX at the Auckland council, XXXXXX leeches the lot of them.

I _was_ firmly opposed to the notion.

But apparently the exposure for the NZ Inc. brand was worth far more than we contributed, so _IF_ it's limited to a $2 million tide-over grant, then I would (without much enthusiasm) support it.

YES - give them the $$$

The more the better. We won't even notice the money is spent and we get to see ETNZ have another crack at the cup :thumbup:

The RnD value alone is better then 99% of what the government spends anyway. They are wasteful with our money so I would prefer to see as much of it as possible spent on sailing :D

YES - give them the $$$

The more the better. We won't even notice the money is spent and we get to see ETNZ have another crack at the cup :thumbup:

The RnD value alone is better then 99% of what the government spends anyway. They are wasteful with our money so I would prefer to see as much of it as possible spent on sailing :D

Ditto!

Archived