Sign in to follow this  
Battleship

skip-novaks-storm-sailing-techniques

I haven't watched that yet but have watched some of his stuff before. I like his approach with a super deep reef in his mainsail, his logic being that its far more efficient to reef rather than set a trysail.

Its what a Stewart does every time it tries to get over the weir at Milford.

Also what's been happening a few times in Admin bay this season by the sounds of it.

I am working my way through them as i get time.

Just finished the one where he argues for a fourth reef over a trysail. Puts his point across well.

So - who thinks a fourth reef is a better idea than a trysail? Should it be possible to get Cat 1 with that configuration?

I am working my way through them as i get time.

Just finished the one where he argues for a fourth reef over a trysail. Puts his point across well.

So - who thinks a fourth reef is a better idea than a trysail? Should it be possible to get Cat 1 with that configuration?

Both options would be great. A 4th reef if you do not have enough time. Tri sail if you are battening everything down. We pulled a sea anchor out of the locker mid pacific. At 60+ KG dry weight and 2 handed we didn't think we would get it back on board until the weather and completely abated so lashed on deck and carried on

Wow fusion, that's really heavy! Is that warp and all, or just the chute? My one is a coppins storm fighter, about 5m dia. Its about 20kg in the deployment bag - but the warp bag is prob 40 kg. You don't have to lift the warp all at once of course!

What type and size is your one to be so heavy?

I agree with the 4th reef. Tri sails are hard work! When we had offshore we have to para anchor ready to go with the rode cable tried to the alloy rail so we have to do it cut the ties and deploy

I had 4th reef on a light 35 footer I took to the Islands and it was great.

Much more control with a 4th reef, you get to use your boom.

For the catamaran the stack pack was probably plenty, no need for 4th reef or trysail.

We could happily gybe on the stack pack in a blow.

Of course you probably couldn't work to weather if you needed to though.