Sign in to follow this  
Battleship

skip-novaks-storm-sailing-techniques

We pulled a sea anchor out of the locker mid pacific. At 60+ KG dry weight
First there was paint job envy, then that changed to keel envy now it's bloody sea anchor envy.

Envy :-) the grey cover on the port side is a Honda 250 scooter we road around Port Villa effecting repairs after the big blow. The Sunfish Sailing dingy on the starboard side was wrapped around the mast and the scooter was almost hanging over the side :-)

did the southern ocean AK>Chile on a boat with 4 reefs and it was great, left all 4 rigged fulltime as it got rid of the clutter on deck would have liked an over lap between the 4th reef and using the trysail and like the Wal I am a fan of trisails that work ie pop a reef in them too as well as battens........make the fucker work for a living...., wear and tear sailwise was mainly due to the topping lift left permanently attached and taking out the leech cord cloth which is a price to pay but we quite happily paid it (hours spent hand stitching however) cutter rigged with no rolly polly furlers and a reef in every headsail which worked for me . Did Fiji in a cat with a parachute storm anchor and even though it sat glaring in the corner of the cockpit we didn't set it as I reckon it would have been a right bitch to retrieve, amusing thing about that tour is how much lightning misses you, oh and as usual a coup de etat on arrival........best one I've ever had

There is nothing nothing nothing good about leaving a topper on the boom.

Oh I do like that L4 and 'the Wal' idea of a Trisail that's a real sail.

What a clever idea and why aren't they all like that.

It's one less chore making reefing easier and faster, and eliminates the possibility of forgetting it and dropping the boom on someone's head.

Whats wrong with a solid vang? :wink:

Our solid vang broke during the RNI so I jury rigged a purchase instead, we then discovered quite by accident that we didn't need a topping lift while reefing as the Lazy-jacks held the boom up quite well.

It's one less chore making reefing easier and faster, and eliminates the possibility of forgetting it and dropping the boom on someone's head.
I put your response into the Nautical Google Translator and it reckons that translates to - I'm lazy and have more money than I have ways to spend it.

You don't drop mainsails either when arriving in port or in bad weather without lots of warning. You sail non stop for 10 days with a topper up just to save your self 30 seconds at the end. Hence the lazy.

While at sea all that topper is doing is wearing and damaging when there's no need for any of that to happen. Hence you must have too much money.

Sorry BP, I know many leave them there but it is just annoys me even more than pollies do. Yes that much :lol: