Waiheke Island

Can anyone direct me to a web page or give me some basic info on Waiheke Island. We are due to head up there in a few weeks and I'm wondering about things like laundrettes, supermakets, prices, good eats etc. Showers would be good :D .

Thanks

Elizabeth

To answer some of your questions. Pricing on Waiheke is about the same as Auckland. The service station is at the top of the hill and access from Blackpool or Onerowa is a bit of a walk. I have not looked for showers. But At Onerowa beach the have a brand new outside shower and tap on the side of the toilet block. Taxi and bus service is good and well priced $6.00 to Cabel Bay from Onerowa.

Hi Elizabeth.

Rocky Bay is a cool place to stay. $1.40 bus ride to the supermarket. There is a DOC camp site on the SE corner with water, toilets and showers. The anchoring is great over thick sticky mud, and the pipi/cockle bank off the DOC site can give a nice small feed at low tide.

The bus is caught from the NE corner, where there is a cleanish flush toilet. All around the bay are walks into the bush, full of NZ birds and trees.

At night the lights of the city are very pretty.

Great place in northerly wind conditions - not so good in a southerly.

Check your charts carefully before entering Rocky Bay - there are reefs around Koi Island, and it is best to enter from the northern side, half way between the reef off Waiheke and Koi Island. Definitely one of our favourite spots.

Google Waiheke Island, and lots of info comes up. There are a few wineries that do door sales too. :wink:

Ms

Thank you Megwyn - such great info - just what I was hoping for! And Squid, we do have the Akarana book - forgot about that! This crew.org is a pretty good site. :)

Elizabeth

Now I like you :lol: I was actually surprised at how long it took to get a response, my guess is everybody was out sailing.

I hung back coz I don't consider myself an expert. For political and economic reasons I have done very little cruising in NZ.

Yeah good tip there Elly.

Related question - is it possible to get to Passage Rock Wines easily if anchored off Waiheke? I like the wine, and apparently the food is good, so it might be a great place to visit.

http://www.passagerockwines.co.nz/directions.html

...or any other wineries? Sailing and cellar doors are a good combo in my book (and the crew agrees). I suppose you can catch the bus to some of them but sailing up into a bay and hopping ashore for a glass is a good time.

My 10c on Waiheke Island, and I'm only a beginner... North side of Huruhi Bay is handy, if not all that pretty, in N/NE conditions. Well suited for a short stroll up the road to Oneroa for a cafe breakfast / shopping etc, and there's also a public toilet just a street back from the waterfront. Watch out for Oneroa bay, even in NW/W conditions chances are a little groundswell might keep you up all night. Oh and as far as I can tell, despite what the Akarana guide says, there ain't 1.8m in Omaru Bay.

We've got to Passage Rock by anchoring off Orapui and walking to the vineyard. I can't remember exactly how long, but it was probably 45 minutes or so. A lovely long lunch with too many wines, and then the winery organised a taxi to take us back to the dinghy. A really relaxed and enjoyable little winery.

Just a bump to this one - either I didn't read Elly's comment properly or forgot it... the Man O War winery cellar door setup is just off the beach. It's not attached to vineyards or anything so it comes across more as a retail caravan than a proper cellar door, but hey, it's a nice spot and you can taste wine there.

re Passage Rock, if you have nothing better to do and the wind is blowing the wrong way, it's about a 2 hour walk (each way) from Man O War. We managed to hitch a ride half the way there and it took us 2 1/4 hrs at a very leisurely pace on the return.

The walk isn't that bad if you're up for it; windy unsealed road and some nice views. Not flat or shaded though.

Passage Rock I like, nice wine and good pizza. A previous taste of their Syrah in town, and the New York Times quote "Best pizza on the planet" drew me there. I'd say the reviewer might have had both wine and pizza but it's good stuff. Definitely a fine place for a leisurely lunch.

Cheers,

Craig.

For political and economic reasons I have done very little cruising in NZ.

Classic! Is "economic reasons" code for keeping the bank manager happy? And "political reasons" code for "keeping the family happy"?!

Reminds me of a few years ago when my partner referred to herself as 'Minister of Finance' (obvious what her role was) and I was 'Minister of Security and Operations" (which meant I put out the rubbish and locked the back door at night).

Close

Political - Muldoon's boat tax meant I left NZ only days after launching.

Economic- I've never been able to justify/afford owning a boat and a house simultaneously, although I'm very close to saying stuff it and going ahead anyway.

while the diving is v v good up in the islands, I actually love cruising NZ as much, the only thing in my mind is that its not quite as hot in NZ. It is way way cheaper to crusie nz then get up to the islands.....

And in general its cheaper if anything goes wrong and there is a lot more help available from coastguard / other boaties. Parts are only a few hours away.

I think thats why there are so many americans living in the Bay of Islands... NZ is just too good to leave and fiji is only a week away!

we seriously underate what we have here IMHO!

Archived