Sign in to follow this  
Clipper

2014 SSANZ SAS Series Evolution 100

Weather is looking interesting :?

Metservice earlier today was predicting 4 kts on one page, 20 on another. Metvuw suggests 5 kts variable. Predict wind is saying bugger all so I'm told.

I'd be hoping for the 20 over the 4.

I'm not the OD for this one Steve Newcombe is, but you should prepare for the possibility of sailing the courses below by the looks.

Not saying this will happen but just be ready if nothing changes.

Check amendments as some of this has changed

In the case of unfavourable weather the SSANZ Committee Boat may fly Code Flag S in which case some or all divisions shall sail the short course. Divisions to sail the Short Course will be advised prior to the start on VHF Ch 77

Safety at Sea Longhaul Short Course:

Start rounding Tiri Channel Navy Buoy (starboard), rounding Haystack (Oropapa) Island (starboard) passing Rakino Island (starboard), rounding Motuihe Island (starboard) to finish Orakei Wharf (approx. 35nm)

Safety at Sea Shorthaul Short Course:

Start rounding Haystack (Oropapa) Island (starboard), rounding Motuihe Island (starboard) to finish Orakei Wharf (approx. 27nm)

Check amendments as this has changed

Safety at Sea Smallboat Short Course:

Start rounding Saltworks Buoy (starboard), Northern Leading Buoy (port), Motukorea Buoy (port), Illomama Buoy (starboard) Browns Island Navy Buoy (starboard) to finish Orakei Wharf (approx. 15nm)

No BS your not missing anything, it's looking better this morning, but just a heads up if your plotting the courses that the short course is a possibility.

We don't mind if you won't finish until the following morning, after all it's a yacht race !

But if it's looking like a lot of the fleet won't finish within the limit then we may consider the short course.

My pay to pack an extra pie I'm thinking :thumbup:

Back to looking light again but there is a suggestion it's a solid light. At least it's not looking like a sail slapper at the moment..... but the word variable does pop up more than once.

from the SI's the time limit is 8pm on Sunday night, lets not even consider the shortened course for shorthaul. this series all about a challenge isn't it, not about whether you get a little bit tired because you had to sail through the night in light airs. To do 80 miles in 24 hours requires an average just over 3 knots. perfectly acceptable in 5-10 as predict wind is saying. and even then you finish at 9 in the morning, still another 11 hours before you hit the time limit.

i'm just saying for the shorthaul - 35 hours is more than enough to do a 80 mile course.

I concur, plus I want to see MOTORBOAT beat the fleet by about 4 hours :D even if that includes myself getting whipped by a boat that started 5 minutes behind.