Through Hull Valves

all fired up

TruDesign Marine Ball valve BSP thread with same brand thru hull, reinforced plastic, made in NZ and should be available in your nearest yacht shop. These are goooooooood kit.

Agreed with above. BUT, have you considered one of the new composting toilets? Nature's Head, or Airhead? No throughhulls required, no holding tank, no issues about discharge,as there isn't any! If I was to replace one of my marine toilets, I'd seriously look at these. http://natureshead.net/marine.html or https://www.airheadtoilet.com/

If you must go plastic, or more correctly Marelon or one of the other glass reinforced nylons, look at Hansen fittings, last I checked the tru-design valves were not full bore. I E the skin fittings and ID of the ball valves must be full diameter, no point having an 1 1/2" bsp valve (all manual marine toilets) and skin fitting if the id of the ball valve is just over an inch! These things are crucial on engine raw water intakes and exhausts and toilet outlets for a trouble free life.

Anyone got any issues with those Fairfit valves?

I have 2 holes to fill and like those as long as they are reliable and stand the test of time.

If you must go plastic, or more correctly Marelon or one of the other glass reinforced nylons, look at Hansen fittings, last I checked the tru-design valves were not full bore. I E the skin fittings and ID of the ball valves must be full diameter, no point having an 1 1/2" bsp valve (all manual marine toilets) and skin fitting if the id of the ball valve is just over an inch! These things are crucial on engine raw water intakes and exhausts and toilet outlets for a trouble free life.

Very true Waikiore but I thought all Hansen Valves were BSPT as opposed to True Designs BSP which can make it a bit awkward if you don't have a BSPT thu hull.

Hansen valves are great and fit the standard skin fitting threads whether bronze or plastic. We have some that are still good after 10years.

Myself, I am nervous about plastic skin fittings and stick with the bronze.

We use a lectrasan system , can't be bothered with holding tanks.

Is FAIRFIT the only skin fitting/ball valve on the market that is flush against the hull when closed?

FORESPAR Flowtech Valve System is an alternative for the weight conscious but the shiny Fairfit is so appealing. The more shiny bits the better so on those rainy days you can polish your toilet valve :oops:

Trudesign gear is made with 2 different thread forms we use BSP generally and NPS is also made for the US market I guess. There is something fishy about there bore sizes as waikiore says. I think some cost cutting measures are going on. I brought 2 different sized valves but on inspection at home the balls inside were the same size, the only difference was the thread size. So the larger valve has a restrictive ball. (Does that sound right!)

NPS is a nightmare for anybody outside the US. Best stick with BSP but then you've got to decide between parallel and taper. Most thru hulls I have seen are parallel so a parallel thread valve needs to be fitted. Then the outlet hose nipple will generally be BSP taper. Not such a big deal in synthetic fittings but a problem with bronze and stainless.

Archived