Advise and comment from the forum

Alcoyano

Just to add to the possibilities.

Mull 9.5 - only 15 build, a couple now have walk thro transoms Easy to sail single handed and great sailing two handed. Just sailed one from AKL to CHCH. 40 knots on nose for 8 hours at one stage and it was still on tiller pilot. Very dry boat. Also been sailed in RNI race.

But whatever you decide - get it surveyed by a decent surveyor!

Happy hunting, and happier sailing.

Whiting 29 Pretty sure it has been done

Townson (take your pick on the design) as above

Young 88 Nah

Spencer 28/30/32 Maybe the 32

Nova 28 Been done and lots more besides

Cavalier 32 I've done the Tasman 2-3 times in one plus a lot more

Challenge 29 Pretty sure it has done RNI

Carpenter 29 Or am I thinking of this?

Chico 30 Great trip across the Tasman on one back in '78 after the boat had won Solo TT

Easterly 30 One of these was in the same race

Lidgard (various and sundry versions) Yes

Lotus 9.2 probably

Marauder Probably but I wouldn't be excited about it

Farr 9.2 Nah

Didn't y88 paddywagon do one of the RNIs or RNZs years ago?

Regarding the original question 50-60k budget would have got you pretty close to a farr 1020 based on what's been on trademe at times over the last 6 months.

You'd also pretty easily find a stewart 34 for your money? And I don't think anyone's mentioned a ross 930 yet either?

Really depends what you want. Even in what's been mentioned above prices vary from 20ishK to 60ish. And something like a Farr 9.2 or y88 is a vastly different boat from a Nova 28.

I noticed earlier in the thread some discussion about the plusses and minuses of a heavy boat. As mentioned sometimes you'll find a heavier boat is more comfortable in a blow. You'll also find that on a heavier boat, things are heavier and harder to manage. You'll probably need a bigger anchor, heavier lines, bigger winches, and stronger arms. As a cruising sailor you'll probably normally go out in nice weather anyway, and to me something like a ross 930 or noelex 30 with a self tacker seems so much easier to handle than something like a Cav/townson. Especially if the rest of the family are non sailors so you're sailing it on your own. Sure it might lean over a bit more in a puff, but you wont break your back pulling in a huge overlapping headsail every time you tack.

If it were me I'd be looking pretty hard at this:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/boats-m ... 666814.htm

Quite a number of 88's have sailed to Sydney and Brisbane...

Calculator and Paddy Wagon done the RNI. And i thought 88 Proof was setup to do it too?

They are pretty grunty boats compared to the 930's KM :-P

:lol: :lol:

They are pretty grunty boats compared to the 930's KM :-P
Don't know about the 88's but after having disassembled a 930 I can say with extreme confidence if 88's are stronger or just as strong they are incredibly grunty, which I think now is quite possible. Watching some of the 88 drivers you'd have to say many of those boast would have to be as grunty or they would have been killed by now :twisted: :wink:

Yes Raz88, the self tackers make life real easy and at times safer. I do enjoy getting into tacking duals with 88's for example. They are winding handles and sweating while I can do it one handed with a beer in the other. I'll often start throwing tacks in knowing they will follow and after a dozen or so will be gasping, it's a fun game to play, one many of those boats never seemed to realise I was playing :)

Whiting 29 Pretty sure it has been done

Townson (take your pick on the design) as above

Young 88 Nah

Spencer 28/30/32 Maybe the 32

Nova 28 Been done and lots more besides

Cavalier 32 I've done the Tasman 2-3 times in one plus a lot more

Challenge 29 Pretty sure it has done RNI

Carpenter 29 Or am I thinking of this?

Chico 30 Great trip across the Tasman on one back in '78 after the boat had won Solo TT

Easterly 30 One of these was in the same race

Lidgard (various and sundry versions) Yes

Lotus 9.2 probably

Marauder Probably but I wouldn't be excited about it

Farr 9.2 Nah

Didn't y88 paddywagon do one of the RNIs or RNZs years ago?

Regarding the original question 50-60k budget would have got you pretty close to a farr 1020 based on what's been on trademe at times over the last 6 months.

You'd also pretty easily find a stewart 34 for your money? And I don't think anyone's mentioned a ross 930 yet either?

Really depends what you want. Even in what's been mentioned above prices vary from 20ishK to 60ish. And something like a Farr 9.2 or y88 is a vastly different boat from a Nova 28.

I noticed earlier in the thread some discussion about the plusses and minuses of a heavy boat. As mentioned sometimes you'll find a heavier boat is more comfortable in a blow. You'll also find that on a heavier boat, things are heavier and harder to manage. You'll probably need a bigger anchor, heavier lines, bigger winches, and stronger arms. As a cruising sailor you'll probably normally go out in nice weather anyway, and to me something like a ross 930 or noelex 30 with a self tacker seems so much easier to handle than something like a Cav/townson. Especially if the rest of the family are non sailors so you're sailing it on your own. Sure it might lean over a bit more in a puff, but you wont break your back pulling in a huge overlapping headsail every time you tack.

If it were me I'd be looking pretty hard at this:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/boats-m ... 666814.htm

Yup that's my little boat. We have had a great 5 years with the Cordite but need something a bit bigger so I can fit the whole family in it and go further afield (Marlborough sounds ect)

Archived