Nanni Diesels

Does anybody have any experience with them? We're looking to get a franchise for marine inboard engines and I just can't seem to lower my morals and go for Volvo which has no representation here. Yanmar are covered here already.

Based on the basic Kubota diesel. Have achieved savings here by not buying from Nanni agents but going to C B Norwoods - tractor agents in Pukekohe. So parts are relatively cheap and worldwide.

Have a "Nanni" in my boat - no problems in over 10 years of good hard use.

at least in the smallest marine diesels

it seems nanni and beta use the kubota tractor base engine

and

vetus, sole, westerbeke + craftsman(ex-vetus employees) use the mitsubishi industrial base engine

not many craftsman distributors around either but the engines and site look very professional and seem cheaper than vetus

http://www.craftsmanmarine.com/

Thanks guys. I like the hp range of the Nanni as I work on anything from 10 - 1200hp and more. As a French speaking nation we can also score the MAN/MTU agency through Nanni which has got superyacht megabucks written all over it. It seems the only bad press I can find for them on the net is poor dealer service and inflated pricing, both things I can control. There doesn't seem to be any talk of poor quality marinisation etc. so I guess I'm pretty safe to explore it further. The nature of business here is if you sell a pup or "F" up more than once then some other young turk will come in and mow your grass for you. Don't want that happening to me.

small places

reputation is everything

hope it all works out

any tie-up possible with the new cal agents?

Thanks for that. I had thought of tying up with New Cal agents for a few things but I am finding that there are quite a few New Cal yachties a bit pissed off with the service they are getting there and don't know if I want to tie myself in with them. For the number of yachts they have there it appears there is a real lack of expertise, in fact I have one client this year who can't seem to spend enough with us as we actually fix sh*t permanently that they have been trying to have attended to for the last 4 years and they have recommended many of their friends to come to Vanuatu to have work performed. A bit of a coup for a country that is still very much "developing". IT tell me to pull my head in if you think I'm advertising.

I had a 2cyl 10hp nanni in my 26footer. It was almost brand new and it was a fantastic engine. I particularly liked that came standard with a oil suction line direct into the sump for easy oil changes and the impeller was the right way round (the cover facing you) for easy changing of the impeller. ... even my yanmar doesn't have those features.

Yanmars prices for parts seems to be out of control. If you can keep prices in the acceptable level you should do well!

I had a 2cyl 10hp nanni in my 26footer. It was almost brand new and it was a fantastic engine. I particularly liked that came standard with a oil suction line direct into the sump for easy oil changes and the impeller was the right way round (the cover facing you) for easy changing of the impeller. ... even my yanmar doesn't have those features.

Yanmars prices for parts seems to be out of control. If you can keep prices in the acceptable level you should do well!

That's good to hear. My 2GM is a right bitch for oil changes and impellor changes. Probably the 2 most frequent maintenance tasks. As far as pricing goes, I will usually be dealing with a small local market that understands the reality of life here so I can stock consumables for engines I supply at a reasonable rate as I will be servicing them and if visiting yachts need parts I don't stock then they will have to wear the freight charges. That being said, I make better margins on labour than I do on parts so I tend to be not very mercenary on parts prices.

latin mechanics

never as good as anglo saxon :twisted:

still if you can poach each others parts inventory and combine orders

everyone should win

Might be worth a go but the froggy buggers are pretty hard to deal with, especially if they know I might be taking work from them. For a place that has so many yachts the service seems to be really bad.

Never physically worked on one and I think that is because they have a good reputation for reliability and Kubota have a fantastic reputation for realiability. It comes down to, will you get good service from the supplier, which I can't answer of course.

Another real plus is the huge range of models available including a lovely Sail drive version.

Yeah but "nice looking" is not what would sell me on supplying a particular engine. First of all, I want to know reliability and that comes from years of a manufacturer growing their reputation. Then as a supplier, I would want great back up, ability to get parts with ease and at reasonable cost and service information. Then finally the looks... maybe... which really come down to design considerations, like being able to get at points on the engine for easy service when it is installed in a confined space on a Boat. Having had a lot to do with many various Chinese products over the years, Personally I just wouldn't go there for a Boat engine. But that's personal opinion. I have had Chinese Diesel Gensets that have gone for years trouble free, but at the same time I have both heard and seen horror with Chinese Gensets, both Petrol and Diesel.

Seems to be a consensus that the donks are godd and reliablr but some issues with parts & service back up. I've been speaking to the froggies about a dealership and once the Belgian boatshow is over we should be able to set something up. Bhaving French as an offical language here also opens up MAN dealership as well. I'm repowering 3 cats at the moment (biggest one 1100hp a side), so would sure like to make a commission on sales in the future

The Kubota range of engines are damn near indestructible. We had 3 of them on 4WD vineyard tractors, hydrostatic drive and a steep contour meant they were running at near full throttle most of the time running mulchers etc on the steep Hawkes Bay hill country.

Basically thrashing them, half the year in 30 deg C + and lots of dust. They were serviced regularly. Last time I saw them 2 were over 15,000hrs and one was close to 30,000 hrs and still doing the business. Really impressive.

Hey all, we are the Nanni agent for NZ ( we took it over  from MGE who closed their doors) We have had it for about four years now and still learning about products spares and dealing with the manufacturer.  I am an engineer myself and have worked around the world on small and large boats but did a few years on flotilla yachts with mostly Volvo and Yanmar. In my time we replaced all Volvo's with Yanmar's and i really loved the Yanmar's it was an improvement which made my job alot easier. My only gripe was soft mounts and that the engines jumped around alot at low RPM (not as bad these days) So when the Nanni opportunity came up we had worked on them alot (servicing) really liked them and asked around and got all positive feed back except for support and parts pricing. So we took it on and have been doing our best to rectify the two most prominent issues. Spares pricing is hard work because of the Euro and freighting the parts to NZ ...but I think we have made headway. We cant beat the Kubota parts pricing but there are definitely some variances between industrial kubota model engines compared with the marinised version so there will always be an element of risk buying non branded non identical part numbers (but we understand why people do it).

The marinisation of the Kubota is the big difference, the key benefit of buying a Nanni. Its a very high quality design and manufacture. I have met the tech team and they are super passionate about their marinisation and put their hearts and sole into it. The owner of the company is all about quality. So in the price bracket against the other players the Nanni shoots well above its weight. (in four years we have had no warranty issues on the Kubota range to do with the engines or marinisation) 

Warranty has been with Transmissions and control panels and transmissions are all the same that are used by the other engine manufacturers and the control panels have been user created issues.

We have been tasked with creating a service dealer network and this includes some of the pacific Islands so we are always keen to talk to interested companies to help us grow this great brand.

We like Nanni and are very proud to distribute it.

General Marine Services