wheels

Question on Greens and one of their Policies

So can someone tell me if this is 100% correct or has the Author of the Site told some part truths or even worse, outright Lies.

I don't want arguments on what the ethics of for or against, I just want to know the Facts. Most certainly a lot of Hypocrisy or at the least, conflict with their Policies if it is correct.

The only way to know for sure is to go to there website policy pages and look. They are all there for the public but be warned its not always easy to find what you want due to crossover between policies.

Am I missing something or are you referring to them allowing abortion up to birth in the case of serious disability?

Quoted from someone on Facebook

This was announced a few weeks back by Russell Norman. According to him everything deserves to live - whales, trees, dolphins ... But NOT disabled human beings

Yes basically WO. It is doing the rounds among my FB friends and if it is true, well nothing I can do, but if it were False, I would say so. I am not supporting Greens as such, but I want people to hear the Truth than the mud slinging garbage all overt the place at the mo.

I have found it. Righty, so it is NOT as that FB headline is saying. All the Greens are wanting to change is to decriminalize Abortion. Which I didn't realize it was, unless Two Consultants agree to an Abortion on health grounds, both Physical or Mental.

From their website: "The Green Party's policy would allow terminations after 20 weeks gestation only when the woman would otherwise face serious permanent injury to her health or in the case of severe fetal abnormalities"

Yeah, I was going to say, but others got in there first...

https://home.greens.org.nz/press-releas ... e-abortion

Very much not the same as all the BS on anti-social media.

A typical case of the poorly educated jumping on sensationalised hear-say.

Although, admittedly it doesn't give an end-point/number of weeks that this wouldn't be the case, so potentially, yes, up to birth. Knowing some of the people on the abortion supervisory committee (including some of the originators of such) I doubt they would support no end-point.

Not quite guys and I'm not advocating either way, I honestly don't have a strong enough opinion.

https://home.greens.org.nz/policy/womens-policy-valuing-women

But I see two issues here. The first is abortions are legal if you follow the rules. Making it legal to procure back room abortions or do it yourself isn't a good move. I agree the existing rules are a bit of a sham and if there is room for change it is there.

However the Greens go on to state

Currently, abortion is a crime in New Zealand. It is only legal if two consultants agree that the pregnancy would seriously harm the woman's mental or physical health or that the fetus would have a serious disability

then they say (and quite rightly) that the existing rules are a sham

The fact that 99% of abortions are approved on 'mental health' grounds reveals the dishonesty of the current legal situation

then they say that the existing (sham) rules are quite okay up until birth

Allow terminations after 20 weeks only according to current practice

I don't know what the existing rules are over 20 weeks, I'm not interested enough to look it up. But the greens do not appear to be changing it, in fact they seem happy with a dodgy system

But as with Wheels, certainly has stirred up some Facebook talk

hmm yeah. Legal. The way they've worded it, they're talking about removing the stigma by decriminalising not opening the process up for abuse. There will still be ethical and medical guidelines in place.

The current process dictates that a woman has to get a sympathetic/supportive GP x2 and plead psychological anguish (which may be the case) it's these barriers that don't support the woman in what may well be a really difficult time.

I've worked with people who have been grossly intimidated by the process, gone to a GP and been knocked back because of that GP's personal belief systems - this is currently legal in NZ - and because of that knock back at a vulnerable time (feeling freaked out/whatever) have gone on to attempt to either induce a miscarriage (very dangerous) or suicide.

Without this system, they could simply book into an appropriate clinic/hospital and go through the process. The policy does also talk about there being sufficient before and after counseling.

Still,.. I'm not sure I'll be a green voter.