How to deal with small children

Black Panther

that looks like a hunter 19 on the first video ,I bought one of those last year to get out on the water in lyttelton, been out in all sort of crazy weather and always felt safe on it , is there many of them around NZ?

For those of us with limited bandwidth and internet speed can someone please explain what this is all about or is posting utube links the way of the future?

Forums (fora) used to be about discussion not movie reviews.

For those of us with limited bandwidth and internet speed can someone please explain what this is all about or is posting utube links the way of the future?

Forums (fora) used to be about discussion not movie reviews.

The second one is about some old school boat that carries more rope then your average tall ship due to having a weird arse rig. Reefing must be a freaking nitemear and probably explains why it's heavily reefed in not much wind, the crew are still knackered from putting it in 3 days ago. It's a boat for enthusiasts who like life harder than it needs to be.... probably a lot slower as well. It's also the sorts of boat a rope salesman would have dreams about :lol: :lol:

Probably a little harsh there as it is quite cute, would reach rather well and if we didn't have enthusiasts with boats like that it would be a little boring.

I'll put a dozen bottles of Mt Gay on the fact I can reef my larger boat or most 1/2 decent set up sloops in a fraction of the time using a fraction of the effort it would take to reef Mingming or similar. For a start I have at least 6 strings and interesting multi faceted block and tackle system less that I don't have to deal with.

Handling??? Maybe but I can't see how.

Sweet. But that is nice weather on a tiny boat and certainly not the same set up as Mingming uses looking at that video.

I don't think I'd like to take on Hedwig with my bet, it would be to close to call as what he does is almost identical to what I do on my sloop, similar speed as well.

I thought there had to be a better way than Mingmings set up. Just look at all the ropes off the end of the battens, a rope salemans dream :)

I think the two are essentially the same.

I did some googling

Reefing: The ease of reefing a junk rig is legendary. Perhaps it is best illustrated with a brief story about sailing one quite windy day off Port Townsend on Migrant, sister ship to Colvin's Gazelle. This was in 1979, when I was considering the junk rig for my own boat, then under construction.

Naturally curious, I asked the skipper about reefing the junk rig. He had just passed around fresh mugs of hot chocolate, so I expected a brief discourse on the subject. Instead, without saying anything he walked over to the main mast and with one hand released the main halyard just enough to let it slip over the belaying pin, paying out about half of it and then belaying it again. The boat was reefed. He did not put down his mug of hot chocolate... and he did not spill any.

And from Wikipedia

The junk rig appeals to shorthanded sailing crews for many reasons, especially because the rig reefs very easily. To lessen sail ("reef") all that is required is to let out the halyard. In contrast, reefing sail on a Bermuda rigged boat would typically require crew to move about the deck - which increases the chance of falling overboard, especially during a high sea state which is typical of conditions which would encourage reefing.

And another

This is the near ideal rig for short-handed comfortable ocean cruising.

Reefing couldn't be simpler all one has to do is let go the halyard.

There is no need to round up.

Like I say I have never sailed or even got close enough to have a good look, but everything I have ever seen on them says they are the easiest rig to reef in existence

You can't just drop the halyard and go back to your cup of tea. What stops the sail shooting back up the mast and/or having a sail shape that's only good for downhill running? Don't Junks go to windward?

Reefing a junk rigged sail is very easy. When sailing close to the wind, all that is needed is to ease the halyard. As the sail lowers by its own weight, the other running lines will also relax. The sail is lowered until the desired batten is along the boom. Then the gaff hauling parrel and luff hauling parrel are trimmed, and the sheet is hauled to reset the sail to the wind. When reefing on other points of sail, it is helpful to ease the sheet first to take the pressure off the sail, and then ease the halyard and trim the other running lines. When sailing dead down wind, it may be helpful to use a downhaul to reef larger sails.

Once again, shamelessly stolen from wikipedia.

I had a day on a junk rig a long time ago. very easy to use once you understood all the string (can't remember all the details, it was a while ago). Don't go well upwind but I can see it's attractions as a cruising rig.

Archived