Fresh eggs on passage

Black Panther

When we headed for Tonga we took 9 dozen eggs in 18 x 1/2 doz egg cartons, the cartons were stored in their own plastic box, as the cartons became empty they were put back in the box so the unused cartons stayed secure. They were one of the last things we loaded aboard and were that days lay from the chooks and were not washed. They lasted 6 weeks altogether and were edible as boiled eggs up the the last day. We turned them end for end every 2nd or 3rd day. They were kept in the forepeak, the daily temperatures were what you would normally expect on such a cruise. I would definitely take more on our next venture and expect that we could be eating whole eggs for 8 weeks at least before having to start scrambling them.

Anything to help seal the porous shell. A smear of cooking oil works for a while or smear with something that tastes better than bum lube, like bacon fat mmmmm!

The main point is that if you get the egg(s) directly from the chook(s) unwashed they are naturally sealed and don't require vaseline or any other sealing material.

That being said, I remember back in the 1950's that my parents used to buy eggs when the chooks were on the lay and they would grease them with a product called ovaline and store them in apple boxes under the floor. They kept for a very long time but as they weren't turned regularly the yolks became stuck to the bottom and after a while were only used for baking / cooking etc.

Archived