Anyone done Tahiti via Australs ?

1paulg

I took a boat to the USA years back and left a Raro stopover heading for Tubuais. Got nailed by a huge long blow and made landfall in Bora Bora instead. Made it there with 3 hours of ciggies and beers left on board. A huge disaster very narrowly averted.

So never made Tubuai but keen if someone needs some crew.

Early days of looking into it but assume one can clear customs in Tubuai seeing it is the administrative centre for the Australs . I believe Raivavae is supposed to be pretty nice but looking at the electronic chart the entrance looks challenging - tho it isn't that detailed and would get more specific info..

The plan ( subject to weather) would be to try and get to the Tuomotus from there - am hoping it is east enough to give you a slant to get there without bashing into head trades...

KM - good to hear you got into Bora Bora ok ...problem is with the Australs if weather turns to sh*t you are a long way from the next stop.....

I did it last year on a similar boat to yours Paul. Simple enough trip, head east from here until the weather looks like you can lay raivavae, tack over and head up.

The pass at raivavae is easy enough there's a shore based beacon you line up and in you go. Standard island style navigation (stand up the front and look in the water) is required so I'd wait for the sun to not be ahead of you before proceeding through.

Can clear customs at the gendarmerie. Very casual and easy. Make sure to ask about the paperwork for duty free fuel if headed on to Tahiti as you can take it with you when you fill up in Tahiti even if you cleared elsewhere.

Beautiful island, small (few hundred) population I think. We spent a week or two there then headed into Tahiti. Supplies are available but aren't great, the shop is pretty much just a dairy and fresh stuff was hard to come by. If you can track him down there's an old French guy who grows most of the fresh produce, bit a lot of it is spoken for already so don't expect to get lots. His name escapes me but if you ask a local they'll be able to point you in the right direction. There's no resorts or anything but there are a few pensions which will probably cook you a meal if you ask. Can also arrange tours with locals just by asking around. Walks, lobster hunts etc all doable that way. Also great snorkeling, lots of interesting stuff in the water, I saw lionfish, morays, little sharks etc.

Oh and theres there's a post office with WiFi who can sell you a sim card. And a bakery with fresh bread, although it pays to order the day before.

We went to Tahiti then the tuamotos (tikihau). Didn't run into issues with head winds doing it that way, reached everywhere.

Being able to speak a little bit of French is quite a help, particularly on the smaller islands.

Hope that's a help. Let me know if you have questions.

Hi Paul, replied to your pm re trip.

Also, one of the guys that works for us went to Raivavae a few years ago, thought it very nice.

Especially after getting snotted for quite a few days then arriving on the eve of the "dance festival" which lasted for days.

Quite a surreal experience apparently!

I'll try & get more info & get it to you,

Archived