Kiribati

Black Panther

Best Resource is probably Noonsite http://www.noonsite.com/Countries/Kiribati

Looks like an interesting place to visit. There is a good guide (also available on noonsite) by the Ausy Yacht Westward 11.

To get there from here - Probably I'd be looking at via French Polynesia. As normal for that, make your Eastings down here, then turn left! :lol:

Lovely people who have feck all.

Supplies would be very limited at best and at time there just wouldn't be any, including fuel The country does run out of fuel... and at times food that isn't fish, taro or coconuts.

Interesting but not a lot there. Some interesting stuff left from the WWII Battle of Tarawa. Good diving.

All power is from a generator so it's very limited.

Getting stuff shipped/couriered there is slow as the ship with the goodies inc food and fuel doesn't make money so if it's pressed for time it'll by pass Tarawa. The shipping service is more a service than it is a money maker.

Tarawa is the main Island but it has many out lying ones that are still very primitive i.e no roads, power or anything like that.

Kiribati owns more of the pacific than any other nation.

NZ has a Hi Comm of a dude and his wife plus a house girl. The Aussie Hi Comm has about 50 people, it's one of their preferred 'cocktail' postings i.e. nothing to do but get pissed.

If you get busted and put in Jail don't panic, they can't and have no locks for the doors :)

If you are pale skinned you will be treated like a God, their 6 Gods are al pasty. At times that is somewhat embarrassing really.

They have next to no tolerance for alcohol.

Watch out for the Toddy, a fermented coconut drink. Made by a master and it's great almost hallucinogenic but made by a learner and you'd be better off drinking anti-freeze.

One step past Kiribati and you will fall off the end of the world.

I lived there for a year and have been backwards and forwards since.

I'd tell your mate to arrive with all he needs to leave with as working on getting much there just isn't going to happen. But it's well worth the visit for sure.

Archived