Lightweight nesting dingy

Has anybody seen any plans for a lightweight (thinking foam sheathed in glass or carbon) nesting dingy? A modified ply design might do the trick.

I'm probably hoping for a pram design around 2.5 - 3m long.

My current glass dink is great to row and tow, but takes up too much space on the foredeck, and its a bit heavy, and the inflatable doesn't row and needs a outboard and fuel to be useful, hence i think next winters project could be a neat little lightweight nester.

Any ideas?

I know the exact one you're after Tuffy, it's mine.

Ply, lightweight, rows real sweet, had mum and the 2 kids aboard for big up river sussing adventures, does 5kts with a Yammy 2hp when one up, can be towed at 12kts and as yet I've not been beaten in a Sailing Dingy race. About 2mts long, I must measure it.

One of the Piedy boys wants one so we'll probably bang of a pattern or maybe a mold and make some carbon foam ones.

I'll grab a photo... while I measure it ;)

• Upvote 1
I know the exact one you're after Tuffy, it's mine.

Ply, lightweight, rows real sweet, had mum and the 2 kids aboard for big up river sussing adventures, does 5kts with a Yammy 2hp when one up, can be towed at 12kts and as yet I've not been beaten in a Sailing Dingy race. About 2mts long, I must measure it.

One of the Piedy boys wants one so we'll probably bang of a pattern or maybe a mold and make some carbon foam ones.

I'll grab a photo... while I measure it ;)

Id be keen to see that knotty, could be the business.

BP's link was quite good as well, a few mods and it could do the trick, but in foam.

just check pretty carefully what the weight savings may be in foam/glass vs 4mm ply - might not as much as you think?

I love the PT11, want one to go on the davits of my 40' Cruising cat (in a decade or so....)

Check online for a lightweight nesting dinghy called the stasha. I'm thinking of getting a set of plans and building one. Should be pretty good for a geriatric couple on an H28.

Concur with Clipper.... yet still surprised a rafttard can think mono :twisted: ;)

We had a play with numbers and to make a lightweight 7ft dingy makes little sense out of carbon and foam. Minimal weight savings if any but a huge higher cost and less durability over plywood.

I was wondering about the weight thing as well. Maybe lightweight ply is the go instead.

Perhaps we'll run a wee sweepstake on the final weight once I get onto it. Person who guesses the closest weight wins the Rapid K45 stapler on my desk - stolen from Dave according to the etching

Concur with Clipper.... yet still surprised a rafttard can think mono :twisted: ;)

:clap: :clap:

Not a case of thinking mono, just a touch of common sense, which to be fair can be lacking in rafttards. :lol:

:wink: :lol: :lol:

I'll weigh mine Tuffy. I'm guessing 12k-15kg.

I think a ply bottom is a no brainer but maybe foam sides could be worth a thought. The ply would stand up to beaches a lot better I'd expect, unless you had lots of glass on the bottom of the foam.

Mines 10 foot 6 inchs. In ply.

Aprox 7 to 8 kgs per half.

I launch the pieces straight over the side and join them in the water. I can join them and add the motor across the aft cab and launch using the quick connect on my boom.

Dingy was first built 20 years ago, and has been in VERY active service for the last 10 years. It is not glassed.

It was originally painted in house paint, but now has epoxy paint.

It does not like being dragged over rock.

I want to build another one exactly the same but out of honeycomb sheet. It will be about the same weight as ply but stronger and more "rock resistant". I will also make a set of blow up side tubes, similar to what the large walker bay dinghies can have.

It rows extremely well, and I can even get it up on the plane (with one person) with my 2.5 Hp mercury.

A friend of mine who has the original plans has just recently finished another one with the full sailing set up, and has told me they sail very well with either an ex sailboard rig or a hand made gunter rig.

dingy 1.jpg

Dingy 2.jpg

Dingy 3.jpg