Blue cod fishing in the sounds - looking for enlightenment

snail

We have the yacht in the sounds for Christmas and just trying to work out the blue cod fishing regulations. I have got this far:

Season starts 20th December

2 Fish per person per day

Fish must be between 30 and 35cm

Fish must be kept whole or gutted till on shore.

So my question is.... If living on boat and we catch a couple of blue cod and fillet them to cook and a fisheries inspector (they are out in force apparently) happens to turn up at that moment (Sod's law) where do we stand legally?

Anyone have any experience/knowledge?

Cheers

i suspect those rules are for those 'landing fish'

if you eat them on the boat you're probably ok

maybe keep the filleted fish scraps in a bag until you've eaten the evidence/fillets?

would assume so too

so if you were on the boat, just about to drop a fillet into the pan

and a fisheries rib raced up, stormed the boat demanding proof that the fillet was taken from a 'legally' sized cod

it would be good if you could reach in to tomorrow's bait bag

and pull out the 32cm frame that it came from

I have been told that you should document your catch by taking a photo beside a ruler , perhaps logging it as well. That way if you get pulled up you have date and photo= reasonable proof.

Agreed Grant, but the issue is that they are not clear on the legalities of boats that do not LAND (ie bring ashore) their fish. Only fish that meet the size regs should be taken. A pic with a date and rule is a good idea if you are not going to eat the (legal size) fish that day. If you are, keep the frame until you have done so.

I've read the whole recreational fishing act quite recently and i seems pretty poorly written and vague in places; not terribly precise.

Many questions unanswered to hypothetical situations.

Definitions of set nets, for example. What if you string a net between two dinghies? What is that classified as?

Also, it seems that if you are live-aboard with any fishing gear, it's probably illegal to transit a marine reserve. Or even with certain kinds of fishing gear (ie a snapper "set" net on your boat in the BOI during summer, but a net targeting grey mullet or flat fish is fine. If you take the anchors off your set net, is it then ok to carry it in a zone where set-netting is illegal?

Very much open to interpretation...

Interesting. And a net tied at one end to your dinghy and the other to a buoy? 

Or, anchored at one end and tied to your dinghy at the other?

Not trying to cheat the law, just looking for precise definitions, and also making sure that a boat on a mooring with fishing gear on it doesn't land you in court because of some over zealous fisheries officer.

I do a fair bit of spearfishing in the sounds there is heaps of large blue cod there,the trouble is when you catch them on a line you have to release them and the couta and shags get most of them.The regs are crazy and you probably kill 10 to 20 just to get your 2,how is that helping the fishery?

Archived