B00B00

Cruising with kids

BooBoo - awesome mate - this is just perfect timing for us now that the boat is lying close at hand.

Clipper,

How long before you move Voom out of w/haven - need to come have a nosey as I work to setting up the boat for the kids.  Looks like there's been a few innovations since I last sailed on her!

voom has been back on the mooring since Waitangi weekend. Was just there for the summer cruising period.

Since you came out a few years back, there is now new rig, new rags, new boom, new hard deck, new hatches.  Same boom tent though.  Awesome as always.  Unfortunately have unloaded all the cruising gear off the boat.

In terms of seeing her up for cruising with kids, we have one little one, and as she is not crawling yet, all pretty easy, not many mods needed.  Biggest change was taking a collapsible bath and a lot more water than normal  She slept on deck under the boom tent in her bassinet.  Next summer will be more of a challenge, as she will be walking around and able to fall in. Thinking of fencing off the back beam between the (raised) cockpit seats.

Hey IT, the content of this post is awesome - much thanks Booboo - do you think we could have a sticky page or something put up, maybe even attached to the front page for both regulars and visitors for all eternity?  

I thought it would be good to share ideas to make it easier and also places to visit that are good for kids (or just cool places to visit even without kids)

Cruising guides seldom have any of that type of information on waterfalls, swimming holes, caves, Wrecks, glamour beaches and lagoons, walks and anything else that worth visiting. 

I know for us we simply have to get ashore once a day or its just not much fun with 3 young boys. 

Maybe if we get enough information then it could be published or something?

Im sure there are many people that would love to get there hands on that type of information.

I will put some of my findings up soon when I have more time and have sorted through the photos from this holiday.

Most cruisers research all that information from the internet and the local info centre's provide it all.

http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~philclarke/SAILING%20MECCA.htm

http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~philclarke/Overview%20wording.htm

http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~philclarke/Directory.htm

http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~philclarke/Worldwidesurfcams.html

Rehab, Booboo made an awesome post right here, on this forum and suggested others do to, so that this community on this forum have the info right here.  

I don't really get your point... are you saying this wasn't a brilliant idea?

Hi all,

This will be our first summer cruising with a 10 months old baby. Just wondering what bed set ups you use/recommend.

Our son is crawling and standing, and almost walking making things trickier. Our kauri launch has two sets of bunks up front. A portacot can fit in between the bunks but this takes up a lot of room and is a pain to set up every nap. Thinking of sewing a breathable fabric barrier across one of the lower bunks to create a cot, but not sure what fabric to use or how to stop him crawling around the sides or over the top?

Heading to barrier for 3 weeks so also keen for any other advice or tips you have for cruising with a younger baby.

Cheers, sarah