Radar question.

I don't have one. I do like my old plotter though , a C 80 raymarine because its reliable and doesn't have a touch screen

So I asked L and B if I could build the system like they told me I could and the answer was no , the new radars don't work with the old plotter( about 2008 or 9 model)

I assumed it was because the new ones were broadband but I saw a comment on another forum the other day saying that raymarine doesn't have broadband?

so which is true?

do I have some options with the old plotter without buying second hand?

is broadband performing as well as the old fryers anyway?

I'm not in a rush but I'd like it in the quiver for when we eventually get offshore , mostly for a reality overlay on the plotter chart( confirming stuff is where it should be ) and squall warning.

this is what I read and seems to be being confirmed.

Unfortunately Raymarine doesn't make broadband radar, claiming that it's still fairly inferior compared to conventional pulsed systems. So regardless of whether I believe them, it'll be a conventional radar for me. 

so if this is true , why won't Raymarine 'new' radars work with my 5 or 7 yr old C80?

You will need a radar of the same era. My understanding, at this point (2nd hand info) is that they changed their proprietary language between the radar and the plotter since then, so the old plotters won't understand the later radars.

All in all, I like the broadband ones - instant on/off, no warmup, low power consumption and an entry level price of under $2500 for a 3G (Using opencpn as a plotter, more $ if you want a real plotter) with range up to 24nm....

Sorry I can't be of further help, my experience is with the Navico Radars (Lowrance/Simrad/B&G) and some with older Kodans.

Yep, it's proprietary, and would need to be reverse engineered - probably could be made to work on a PC, where we'd have control of one end of the data , but not on a closed system like a plotter. Simply not worth the effort - the ones that have been reverse engineered for PC's (Garmin HD, 3G and 4G Navico units) have taken several years of development and testing to get going well on Open CPN...

I imagine two or three of everything nav so I could easily end up with 2 plotters and Open cpn on a device too.

Not going back to raymarine , they upset me with their fake promotion for  the pacific gold charts they had in boating NZ last year.  They wouldn't honour what they promoted , that'll cost em .

04d476c3-c040-40be-ac67-a4eea213c10b.jpg

I'm just doing a boat for a customer, complete Ap, instruments, plotters, radar etc. looks like he'll have a plotter in the cockpit, and a Mac below. Using the navico Zeus 11 plotter, and navico software, he can control the system from either the Zeus 11 or the Mac. Wireless is an option. Things are moving on, away from dedicated devices....

I don't have one. I do like my old plotter though , a C 80 raymarine because its reliable and doesn't have a touch screen

So I asked L and B if I could build the system like they told me I could and the answer was no , the new radars don't work with the old plotter( about 2008 or 9 model)

I assumed it was because the new ones were broadband but I saw a comment on another forum the other day saying that raymarine doesn't have broadband?

so which is true?

do I have some options with the old plotter without buying second hand?

is broadband performing as well as the old fryers anyway?

I'm not in a rush but I'd like it in the quiver for when we eventually get offshore , mostly for a reality overlay on the plotter chart( confirming stuff is where it should be ) and squall warning.

this is what I read and seems to be being confirmed.

so if this is true , why won't Raymarine 'new' radars work with my 5 or 7 yr old C80?

Hi John B

I have a brand new Radar in the garage I bought with my C70 years ago. Never been out of the box if you are interested. I also have the raymarine mast mount kit.

Let me know

Fer sure I'd be interested Fusion , I tried sending you a PM but couldn't get through ... do you still have my email by chance, I've been through a couple of computers and no longer seem to have yours.

I have a few snaps of your boat from the sail up to mahurangi  I've been meaning to send you.

Fer sure I'd be interested Fusion , I tried sending you a PM but couldn't get through ... do you still have my email by chance, I've been through a couple of computers and no longer seem to have yours.

I have a few snaps of your boat from the sail up to mahurangi  I've been meaning to send you.

Im struggling with this new format as well  tried to PM you but something about a full mail box. 021 447 639 send a text 

Im struggling with this new format as well  tried to PM you but something about a full mail box. 021 447 639 send a text 

Having just read this, I checked my PM mailbox. The new format seems to have remembered / reloaded all my old PMs, some going back to 2007, about 4 or 5 pages , So I've just deleted them all under the "new Format now" so start again. If anyting was more than 2 sleeps ago and is not on the what-I-should-of dealt-with-yesterday list then its probable safe to delete as not currently critical :roll:  :roll:  :razz:  :razz:  :razz:

I imagine two or three of everything nav so I could easily end up with 2 plotters and Open cpn on a device too.

Not going back to raymarine , they upset me with their fake promotion for  the pacific gold charts they had in boating NZ last year.  They wouldn't honour what they promoted , that'll cost em .

04d476c3-c040-40be-ac67-a4eea213c10b.jpg

I had a moan at this years boat show about this ( above, which is a year ago)

Policy has changed , they updated my chart to NZ,AU and pacific islands and they loaded whatever new software the plotter needed ,for a couple of hundred.

I'm a happy chappy now , instead of the bitter , malicious , grumpy old grudge bearing barsteward I was.