first world problems - which boat?

Most of our cruising will be short overnighters. Depending on what we end up with, maybe as far as barrier for a few days, so interior space not such a prerequisite. Ability to sleep all of us, and stability, along with deck space, are what the family want, and I want some performance. Seaworthiness is important up to a point, although having raced dinghies in both hemispheres I know how to depower. Safely.

Hey madyollie if you are looking at the red tri , I sold it with mast head kite and 3/4 code 0 and bigger main theres an prod some were for it !! 2TOTANGO would be good for your family iv had this boat for 8year and  done lots of miles, found a youtube of my wife sailing 2TOTANGO around kawau 

we can do some type of deal 

Cheers Lance 

What a weekend!

Went and had yet another look at the red F720 yesterday, and decided she's not quite what we want, so pulled the pin on that idea. Also had a very brief look at the Mariner that washed ashore at Okahu Bay, but that's going to take quite a lot of work.

Finally got a test sail on Tribesman today, sadly the wind decided not to play ball, and was only gusting around 5 knots.

Upwind she was sitting on around 3 knots, hitting 4.1 on a close reach. Coming back, we got the kite up for a bit, but as the wind had completely gone, just getting it filled was quite a mission. At no point did we get both kite and main pulling. Uphill we were slowly pulling in a couple of other boats, which appeared to be a falcon and a tasman.

The owner says he has had over 15 knots, and that double digit speeds are pretty normal. I think she's capable of much more, all things considered.

The kids loved it, and Mrs Mad was also quite pleased. We have one more boat to check out before making our final decision, but this one certainly ticks every box.

Just a quick update...

New boat purchased, not one of the original list, but possibly faster. Also marginally bigger.

Looking forward to the spring regatta, is it still one long race? 

Erm, I'm not sure I'm allowed to say. I've just done a 5 figure bank deposit into the present/ex owners account, dunno whether it's got to him yet. Jeez I hope we got the account numbers right!

Let's just say its a GBE and the owner has gone "Ballistic"  :-)

At this point no pics, but will be quite prolific with them as it gets a little warmer. Mrs Mad is actually a pro photographer, or was before babies got in the way.

Of course, if the soon-to-be-former-owner feels so inclined, chuck some pics up!! You're bound to have some!

Two gentle sails so far. Far gentler than the forecast says they're going to be!

Probably a good thing considering the youngest crew is 9 months at this point.

The older kids are loving it!

Yep, "What he said!"

I bought Euphoria from ScottiE.

She's a mark 1 all 'glass GBE. Pretty much standard except for some high aspect daggers and rudder blades.

My next mission is to remove all the systems and change them to my tastes.

Oh, and give Anthony his mooring back!

Yup - Aaron's going to give her a much needed refresh - really pleased where she's ended up. After 16 years - still pretty hard not to think about heading out to check lines etc. I'm sure that'll change when she heads round the corner and I get the new boat back in the water.

No rush to vacate the mooring Aaron - estuary sailing in a GBE is lots of fun!

Long walk through the mud when I came back at low tide tho! Went over from farm cove this afternoon, lashing the front tramp and rescuing that batten. Got one side done, main beam and port hull to go.

Yeh that bank is pretty bad! If you're thinking you'll be on or off around low it would probably be better for you to go from the dinghy ramp at subrisky's bucks beach.

Yeh that batten is a pain in the royal. There' a spare in the stbd hull as well!

I'm hoping that some well meaning do gooder didn't see me in the dinghy and call the coastguard when I disappeared. I just motored straight between the hulls and got to work.

I noticed the cg boat idling around the moored boats as I headed back at dusk. Looked like they were looking for something.

that reminds me that I must tell my spies further up the hill that the boat is sold.  Got a txt about 9pm a Saturday evening about a month ago by them to tell me that my otherwise land based solid dinghy was infact half way to HMB.  Perfectly still night with full moon.  10mins later I'm in my wetsuit, pfd, headlamp, waterproof ruck sack with phone, vhf and spare torch paddling frantically out on the p/board to retrieve  Long slow tow back!

So yes - they are watching!

It's not so much of a refurb, more like a "hide-the-string" type of thing. Anthony has done a fantastic job on the hulls, so it's just little things like running lines under the tramp for the jibsheet leads, so the kids don't trip over them.

And eventually I'll venture indoors to create some sleeping area, at this point I've not gone forard past the centrecases.