first world problems - which boat?

Very cool.  I'm interested in the routing of your jib sheets.  If you have a chance to take pic next time you're at the boat....

I rely heavily on my jib sheet travelers, so I cannot quite picture how you're running the sheets underneath.  

I have to say I DO like the "down-under" rigging of the jib sheets to the aft crossbeam and across.   It allows me to easily drive the boat from one side on either tack (in light air.)   But since virtually no one in the U.S. has ever seen such a setup, I have to conduct a training session with every guest on the boat on how to sheet them in, and they typically still eff it up when tacking!  

15 to 20 knots, a couple of Bass Ales, and it all goes to sh*t quick....

gBgE7Zq.jpg

• Upvote 1

Check out Martin Schoon's tacking video - light airs but still achievable.

Yup the sheet setup is a pain with little kids.

You Don't realise how big the main beam is to a three year old until they get garrotted by a jib sheet having tripped on the main beam on the way back from the front tramp!

You Don't realise how big the main beam is to a three year old until they get garrotted by a jib sheet having tripped on the main beam on the way back from the front tramp!

Excellent description!  I can imagine it now.  My sons are 18 and 21 now, and off at University.  But I remember those days....

I'm not moving the sheets under the tramp, I feel they need to be accessible in case of tangles or whatever.

What I'm planning is to run a high strength line from main beam to third beam under the tramp, which will take the load. There will be a small loop in this line, passing up through the tramp, with the lead block attached to it. I may run a second line parallel to this slightly outboard just to open the slot on those breezier days when course or sea state dictate not putting on a smaller jib.

Not a purely original idea, I borrowed it from the Loday/White Spitfire design.

I haven't finalised ideas for the tail of the sheet yet, quite liking the idea of leading them past the back of the pod then to the windward cockpit.

The whole idea is that there will be as little as possible on the tramps, so that clumsy people like me (never mind the kids, they're just a good excuse really!) don't trip and fall overboard.

Ideally just the main and jib sheets, and traveller line upwind, with kite sheets added downwind.

I've got a few ideas to make kite handling easier too, but will keep them under my hat, so to speak, until the kite at least makes it to the boat!

Pictures will come when I finally get a day without rain! My camera didn't come with a raincoat.

Check out Martin Schoon's tacking video - light airs but still achievable.

Yup the sheet setup is a pain with little kids.

My jib sheet is routed 'on top' from cockpit to cockpit via the jib clew: Forward from the winch to a cheek block on the main beam, then along the top of the beam to a block on the traveler, through a block attached to the clew and down to another block on the traveler etc.

The line I am giving a tug in that video is the barberhauler. That one is routed under the trampolines. I need to give it a tug as the traveler track of the jib is straight and the jib is only semi-self-tacking. Simplisticy over function?

/Martin

PS Nice photo paxfish.