Auckland to Tauranga Race

Mostly timing to be honest.  long weekends are hard to come by, and I'm not allowed to use too many for racing. cruising is legit, as is coastal.

Same reason for Freedom. We lose one long weekend to the Coastal and kind of loose one to Bayweek return trip too.

If it were not on easter, we might be keener.

It was sailed first on Christmas Eve and they used homing pigeons to carry progress reports, then it went to Easter so people could sail back at their leisure. 

What else happens at Easter?

nah nah nah , no problem as I said, just curious.

here's another one from the series I took that day... probably came from Jason ( Owner/Skipper) or Dave Giddens , I gave him a few too.

IMG_7737_4.jpg

.Just looking for a 1921 Photo of Waione too ( inaugural race winner) doesn't seem to be one to hand 

this is 1911..

I didn't take that one... .Probably sloop johnB did  :razz:

IM000003_4.jpg

• Upvote 1

.Just looking for a 1921 Photo of Waione too ( inaugural race winner) doesn't seem to be one to hand 

this is 1911..

I didn't take that one... .Probably sloop johnB did  :razz:

Just before my time but I sure there are older old farts salts than me here. ;-)

Same reason for Freedom. We lose one long weekend to the Coastal and kind of loose one to Bayweek return trip too.

If it were not on easter, we might be keener.

How do you "lose" a weekend by going sailing for 4 days. Might as well sell it.

• Upvote 1

How do you "lose" a weekend by going sailing for 4 days. Might as well sell it.

This Easter I will go sailing for 4 days with my wife and daughter. Couldn't do that if I did the race.

Some people don't like the Tauranga race, or prefer other races. It seems like people are attacking them for that.

This Easter I will go sailing for 4 days with my wife and daughter. Couldn't do that if I did the race.

Some people don't like the Tauranga race, or prefer other races. It seems like people are attacking them for that.

I'll say, I was put off by the crap I got for daring to post the news that NZMYC were going to run a Barrier Race. Turned out to be a great race with a nice sheltered harbour to stay overnight in.

• Upvote 1

Clipper you could get your Wife and daughter to meet you in Tga and cruise back, a chance to explore to different places.

Even the Tauranga harbour has some 20 miles of bays accessible to a shallow draught multihull.

IMHO the decline in numbers is due to the weather in recent years more than anything else it has been either blowing it's nads off or nothing with very little in between.

Last years race was pretty spectacular with a very windy start and a nice reach down to the hole in the wall interspersed with thunderstorms. Not a milk run like the coastal but more challenging and potentially more rewarding.

• Upvote 1

This years race has a spinnaker or contribution towards a spinnaker ($4000 I think) as a spot prize for all contestants who race, co-sponsored by North Sails and PIC Insurance Brokers.

I seem to recall PIC provided a prize for the Coastal so it is great to see new and continued involvement race event support for the local scene plus great backing from Booboo's crowd - North Sails.

Their local Tauranga rep. - Marion Cranstoun - turned up yesterday for our club's final race and prizegiving with a spot prize, also, good stuff.