Dean will be around a while yet.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/boating/66439309/burling-booting-out-barker-is-bogus

Looks like a few journos (and some crew.org posters)  jumped the gun. As most rational people have concluded, ETNZ would be nuts to get rid of Barker at this stage. They have Burling, so why not have a nice steady transition, instead of throwing the young fella to the wolves as some here would have it.

ETNZ might want to work on their public relations a little though.....

Yep Smithy, I thought that as well. The PR could be improved, but Dalton publicly stated after the last cup that all positions would be reviewed, and no positions were guaranteed. This is just the process working....

Guest Ketchup

Nobody in Team Dalton is coming to Barkers aid!

Nobody in the team has said "barker" is not going.

They (w^&#$@r Dalton) are working a process that see's Barker get fed up and leave. This minimizes cost and issues.... not like the Joe spooner one happening at Oracle

Guest Ketchup

Yip, well Said P2.

Dean still does not understood that he is not up to winning the AC. He has learnt zerp

DALTON DOES NOT REALIZE he is a poor leader who uses bully boy tactics to motivate team members

Dalton HAS earned over 20million since being in charge of this team...and for what?

Barker is close to 12million (with endorsements) for his Multible chokes.

Now Dean wants to "lawyer up"! And fight to stay!...f*ck me!... he still thinks he is worthy of being in the team?!..... actually no that is wrong... he realises he can't go anywhere else without kiwis calling him a TRAITOR!

This is loserville .... and I am loving it.

Hope Burling keep well away from Barker! This shite could "rub off"

I reckon Deans being screwed unfairly here.

Maybe he needs to step aside, but he has been loyal to NZ (at a time that everyone else was out for themselves) and should be treated fairly

Who from the TNZ heirarchy leaked this.

I hope if Dean is scrapped, he takes TNZ with him.

• Upvote 1
Guest Ketchup

Gee that's nice and positive john. Take the team down because He was not a winner and they have better options in Burling, which they are persueing.

Barker is not loyal to NZ! He is loyal to a private team funded by Offshore companies. If he was loyal he would give someone else a chance to win the cup he has failed at winning.

He is greedy, focussed on himself, and loyal to the money/lifestyle.

Get real John.

Smithy, once again, I Don not hate barker! Just his lack of winning ability and the fact he is has always held back better talent in His pursuit of something he can never nave.

He is not a winner!

Finn...No

Olympics ... no/embarrassing results

AC...No No No

I reckon Deans being screwed unfairly here.

Maybe he needs to step aside, but he has been loyal to NZ (at a time that everyone else was out for themselves) and should be treated fairly

Who from the TNZ heirarchy leaked this.

I hope if Dean is scrapped, he takes TNZ with him.

With you there. He has been the dignified face of Team NZ right from the days of the Coutts/ Butterworth walk out. I was well impressed with him then. He really doesn't deserve this.

And, "sigh", bring on the inevitable troll.......

• Upvote 2

And yet again the AC descends in to a state of complete farce.

Here's my suggestion - wind up TNZ, sack everybody and sell all the assets. then use the proceeds to supply a kitset for a Firebug for any NZer under 14 who wants to build one. Continue till the money runs out.

Guest Ketchup

And yet again the AC descends in to a state of complete farce.

Here's my suggestion - wind up TNZ, sack everybody and sell all the assets. then use the proceeds to supply a kitset for a Firebug for any NZer under 14 who wants to build one. Continue till the money runs out.

Absolutley Brilliant!

Or get a team that will win the AC and bring squillions inti the country.

Guest Ketchup

With you there. He has been the dignified face of Team NZ right from the days of the Coutts/ Butterworth walk out. I was well impressed with him then. He really doesn't deserve this.

And, "sigh", bring on the inevitable troll.......

Smithy. You cannot troll yourself.

Dignified. Get real he is getting in the layers after Team NZ have finnaly had to change this loser to a winner...aka Burling.

End of!

Guest Ketchup

Can anyone provide details of Burling winning where the crew number is greater than two?

What about evidence of Barker winning a ...

Olympic medal

A senior world championship

Anything in a fleet of more than eight.

Anything at all?... by himself and not part of a AC team

Anything without a keel and not loaded with the best crew?

While Burling obviously has a lot of talent, going from a small team/crew to one the size of Team NZ and the now 8(?) crew on the new cats is a leap.  Coutts did it right by bring Barker up as an understudy before letting him lose at the wheel and then in charge of the team.  Just because Burling has a huge amount of talent doesn't automatically mean he will be a good leader, it takes much more than just a great boat driver to win the cup.

While Barker was the face of the team partially on the boat he wasn't the only person in the team, Barker didn't lose the cup, the whole team did, both the on and off water crew.  It appears people seem to be taking pleasure out of a hate campaign against him and I don't think it's fair.

To throw Barker away and lose an immense amount of knowledge about how to make a team that size work both amongst themselves and with the designers etc  means Burling will have a huge learning curve ahead of him which risks putting them back into learning mode.

• Upvote 3