What prop pitch are you running?

I have a BF20 that's on a trailer sailer that I've been given and am trying to sell (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=891439399). Seems like a really nice motor for the few times I've used it. 6amp charging as standard and can be upgraded to 12amp I think? If you want to help unbolt it, your welcome to borrow it to see how it fits and goes. I'm really hoping I can sell the boat without the motor as I really want to keep it for cruising on Freedom/hooning around in my RIB. 

Mine seems to have a smaller prop than the 9.9 yamahas run so that might be a point of difference. I don't know if mine is a high thrust model.

I think I remember Phil saying Sundreamer has one of each at the moment and he is trying to go back to the yamahas?

I've had two Honda's on Pulse. First one was a 15 hp, the old square model as it was the last one to be upgraded into their current form. It was a very good and reliable engine. A year overseas and not getting used probably killed it, eventually getting gear box problems and a cracked water jacket. Still it did nine years without getting flushed of course. 

Then there was a 15 hp 'Sail' outboard. It was called a 'Sail' because mostly that is what I did as it was hopeless. Stay well clear.

Now I have a 10 hp Honda, only because there wasn't a 15 hp available in the country just before a Coastal when I needed to replace the above quickly. It has an impressive 12 Amp charging and electric start. It's been mostly reliable, a few niggles. It has a vibration at mid revs, but could be in the boat. I miss the extra 5 hp only when going from forward to reverse. I've got the biggest 4 blade prop with fine pitch I could find.

On the whole I've been more than happy with the Honda's I've had.

Only decent picture I could find! Just in response to the Accord comment above it really.

I once had an outboard called a Wind 8hp, was made in Russia by a company called Volga motors (seriously). Fantastic motor, ran like a dream once they replaced the faulty ignition coil they'd all been shipped with! If I still had it, I'd be using it!!

Apparently the Wind was more reliable than Tim's Sail :)

an old thread

but have been researching prop specs

as previously stated

the yamaha 8hp 2-stroke is a high power, low weight,  popular choice for 8.5mt multis

it comes standard with a large pitch 10'?  all white prop designed to get light dinghies planning

there are also 2 lower "geared"  "dual thrust" options for boats heavier than a dinghy that will never reach those speeds

the black hubed  9" x 7"N, for light weight multis (9 inch diameter with 7 inch pitch)

(cast into the prop alloy)

and the black hubed 9" x 5"N for heavier boats with heavy keels

the black hub is "dual-thrust" in yamaha speak, which means in-hub exhaust so the blades are less likely to cavitate in reverse and lose bite.............most light tinnys/inflatables etc don't reverse much so don't need this exhaust gas diversion

solas also make 5 props for the yami 8hp 2 stroke, the 4 bladed versions with in-hub exhaust probably the best choice for multis

http://www.rubexprops.com/boat-propellers/Yamaha/?motor=H0080C&ver=a&model=8HP%202%20Stroke%20(7%20Spline)

yachts heavier than 900kg probably want more power AND lower gearing

for them the 9.9hp was made with lower reduction gearing to prop (planing speeds not needed)

AND a range of dual thrust props for differing boat weights

cavitation protection in swells

small multis with a single outboard mounted centrally seem better with the long shaft engines as the hulls can lift the prop out in swells + waves

yamaha make just the 1 long shaft option but tohatsu make a long and an extra long

as Greg has on Mysterex

but even the standard long shaft yamaha can still get lifted clear enough for the engine to scream as the prop half spins in air.......one way to help prevent this is to bolt an aftermarket hydrofoil to the engine's small anti-cavitation plate just above the prop

194156799.jpg

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/boats-marine/parts-accessories/outboards/auction-1168791372.htm

the barnys fitted 1 to capricorn's 8hp 2-stroke yami

gallery_1988_37_413454.jpg

and it seems to be working well

they are just a cut + bent bit of alloy sheet so am going to knock up another out of some spare ally checker-plate for the spare engine

also outboard mounts that have multiple down positions help to keep the prop from spinning free

capricorn is set so the 2nd from bottom hole for motoring off the mooring, with sails already raised

but need the max bottom setting for motoring in, as when head to wind to drop sails, my weight moving from stern to bow, can lift the prop clear from the 2nd from bottom position

As I understand it ventilation and cavitation are different. Ventilation is when air comes down from the surface, causing a "vent". Cavitation is when the low pressure side of a prop or foil drops so low that effectively the water boils, causing an air cavity in the water. Related, but different, and very often confused,even by many who should know better.

maybe it's a bad translation?

perhaps the japanese term covers both?

certainly yamaha + honda manuals seem to call the plate above the prop that stops air being drawn down the "anti-cavitation" plate in their manuals

anyone bored enough to see what mercury + johnson call it? 

anyone bored enough to see what mercury + johnson call it? 

I started to search the web, but outboards bore me so instead of just being bored, I quickly became really really bored!

Thank heaven for websites like this one!

an old thread

but have been researching prop specs

as previously stated

the yamaha 8hp 2-stroke is a high power, low weight,  popular choice for 8.5mt multis

it comes standard with a large pitch 10'?  all white prop designed to get light dinghies planning

there are also 2 lower "geared"  "dual thrust" options for boats heavier than a dinghy that will never reach those speeds

the black hubed  9" x 7"N, for light weight multis (9 inch diameter with 7 inch pitch)

(cast into the prop alloy)

and the black hubed 9" x 5"N for heavier boats with heavy keels

the black hub is "dual-thrust" in yamaha speak, which means in-hub exhaust so the blades are less likely to cavitate in reverse and lose bite.............most light tinnys/inflatables etc don't reverse much so don't need this exhaust gas diversion

solas also make 5 props for the yami 8hp 2 stroke, the 4 bladed versions with in-hub exhaust probably the best choice for multis

http://www.rubexprops.com/boat-propellers/Yamaha/?motor=H0080C&ver=a&model=8HP%202%20Stroke%20(7%20Spline)

yachts heavier than 900kg probably want more power AND lower gearing

for them the 9.9hp was made with lower reduction gearing to prop (planing speeds not needed)

AND a range of dual thrust props for differing boat weights

cavitation protection in swells

small multis with a single outboard mounted centrally seem better with the long shaft engines as the hulls can lift the prop out in swells + waves

yamaha make just the 1 long shaft option but tohatsu make a long and an extra long

as Greg has on Mysterex

but even the standard long shaft yamaha can still get lifted clear enough for the engine to scream as the prop half spins in air.......one way to help prevent this is to bolt an aftermarket hydrofoil to the engine's small anti-cavitation plate just above the prop

194156799.jpg

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/boats-marine/parts-accessories/outboards/auction-1168791372.htm

the barnys fitted 1 to capricorn's 8hp 2-stroke yami

gallery_1988_37_413454.jpg

and it seems to be working well

they are just a cut + bent bit of alloy sheet so am going to knock up another out of some spare ally checker-plate for the spare engine

also outboard mounts that have multiple down positions help to keep the prop from spinning free

capricorn is set so the 2nd from bottom hole for motoring off the mooring, with sails already raised

but need the max bottom setting for motoring in, as when head to wind to drop sails, my weight moving from stern to bow, can lift the prop clear from the 2nd from bottom position

I need a new prop for my boat and this post pretty much summed up the information I needed thanks. Also all the other contributions to this thread, excellent thanks. I will post my results soon