Multihull Racing and events for next season?

How about we have a discussion about what we want for our racing, and cruising get together type events, for next season while we are still enjoying this one.

If we had some good consensus we would get better numbers at events. Better to support a few good ones than lots with few entries.

What's your thoughts?

How about this as a starting point:

Racing:

- Both downtown Wednesday series

- Great Barrier Express Race

- Squadie Weekend

- Route 66

- Auckland Regatta

- RNZYS Winter Series

- SSANZ Triple Series

- Coastal

Phew, that's a  lot! It sounds like some of the bigger multis are keen to do Bay week but the 8.5 owners I've talked to aren't that keen.

I haven't done a lot of cruising events yet so I won't make suggestions there apart from we are hoping to do an 8.5m cruise to the Riverhead pub one day (bigger multis will probably have mast clearance issues)

Although not a multi owner yet, I'd be quite keen to see one of the long weekends (Auckland anniversary perhaps) as a three day event. Start mid Saturday, race to somewhere about 3-5 hours away, social gathering that evening, barby on the beach? Then some fun stuff Sunday, maybe some short races, beach games, whatever, then a resty evening. or not. BBQ breakfast Monday morning, race or cruise back.

Just thinking, could actually do it any summer weekend, start say 6pm Friday, aim to arrive before dark. Come back Sunday. Those who work late can just catch up Saturday to join in the fun.

Liking some of the earlier suggestions too - Riverhead and round Waiheke especially.

Having young family means that around the cans wont be one of our specialty areas - in fact my wife said earlier today (while I was clambering around a certain trimaran i like), that part of the appeal of a bigger boat was the chance to get away for some solitude. So I think cruising could be us. Fast, trying to get there first, type cruising.

Ok...... as a poor landscaper / orchardish  I will be busting a gut to this years coastal classic in the old dear , the thing is what division  ( yes multihull :eh: ) would be the best to enter a 1976 built  ply under riged heavy 9.2 mt  cat ...

Mate we really already have this. Auckland Anniversary is attended often by cruising multihulls. On the Saturday there is lots of kids events on the beach at Sullivans Bay at Mahurangi. Then there is the classic yacht regatta to watch. We often manage a modest raft up and get together. There is the option of a big band at Scotts landing on the Saturday night. Then we typically go to Kawau for the Sunday evening. It is usually a very fun weekend.

I'm sure there are other weekends we could do more family cruising events at too though. Keep the suggestions coming!

Although not a multi owner yet, I'd be quite keen to see one of the long weekends (Auckland anniversary perhaps) as a three day event. Start mid Saturday, race to somewhere about 3-5 hours away, social gathering that evening, barby on the beach? Then some fun stuff Sunday, maybe some short races, beach games, whatever, then a resty evening. or not. BBQ breakfast Monday morning, race or cruise back.

Just thinking, could actually do it any summer weekend, start say 6pm Friday, aim to arrive before dark. Come back Sunday. Those who work late can just catch up Saturday to join in the fun.

Liking some of the earlier suggestions too - Riverhead and round Waiheke especially.

Having young family means that around the cans wont be one of our specialty areas - in fact my wife said earlier today (while I was clambering around a certain trimaran i like), that part of the appeal of a bigger boat was the chance to get away for some solitude. So I think cruising could be us. Fast, trying to get there first, type cruising.

Anvsy raft up 15.jpg

• Upvote 1

How about this as a starting point:

Racing:

- Both downtown Wednesday series

- Great Barrier Express Race

- Squadie Weekend

- Route 66

- Auckland Regatta

- RNZYS Winter Series

- SSANZ Triple Series

- Coastal

Phew, that's a  lot! It sounds like some of the bigger multis are keen to do Bay week but the 8.5 owners I've talked to aren't that keen.

I haven't done a lot of cruising events yet so I won't make suggestions there apart from we are hoping to do an 8.5m cruise to the Riverhead pub one day (bigger multis will probably have mast clearance issues)

Looks a good list. I'll not be able to do wednesday unless I can find a babysitter, and not able to do squadron weekend if not member.  but keen on the rest if possible. 

Definites

• Wednesdays

• Winter Series

• Windward/Leewards

• Squadron Commodores Cup Series -  Weather based though (Opening Day October,  Round Rangi November, Squadron Weekend February,Haystack April
  • Great Barrier Race  :thumbup: Party after on Sundreamer!  ;-) 

• Last Friday of the month Rum Racing and maybe a few more

• Auckland Regatta - if it is on next year!?

Maybe's

• Round Waiheke? 

• SSANZ  will pick and choose based on weather

Yea I heard that it ran at a big loss - I could be very wrong and I don't actually remember who mentioned it so it may all just be rumour.

hope it's not the case as it was really good fun. 

There was the Ports of Auckland  Anniversary Regatta which I guess wont be very popular next year. And then also on the same weekend the Mahurangi Magazine Regatta. 

Mahu harbour is possibly the future of yacht racing because Ports of Auckland is destroying our play ground. I would like to do the Mahu Regetta if the 8.5s are doing this one,

but long weekends are always a tough negotiation.

Ok, So, apparently Fat Freddy's Drop are playing a gig at Cable Bay Waiheke on Auckland Anniversary weekend Sunday night.

Does anyone know whether or not you can hear things like this from the water? And if so, would it make an interesting stopover for the night?

Perhaps Mahurangi Saturday night, then Cable Bay Sunday night? I'm assuming that the beach is public (for a bbq maybe?) but of course if it's private then this won't work too well.

Edit:

Just found out where the gig is, it's quite a long way from the water, so scrap this. Anyone got any better ideas?

Very likely Pulse will be aiming for the FFD concert after the Mahu regatta. A walk is good for you anyway!

Ok, So, apparently Fat Freddy's Drop are playing a gig at Cable Bay Waiheke on Auckland Anniversary weekend Sunday night.

Does anyone know whether or not you can hear things like this from the water? And if so, would it make an interesting stopover for the night?

Perhaps Mahurangi Saturday night, then Cable Bay Sunday night? I'm assuming that the beach is public (for a bbq maybe?) but of course if it's private then this won't work too well.

Edit:

Just found out where the gig is, it's quite a long way from the water, so scrap this. Anyone got any better ideas?

I don't know the area at all, how long would the walk be? And where is good to anchor? I've spent a lot of time racing small boats but totally new to this cruising lark. Still working out the sleeping arrangements for the GBE.

A couple of random ideas...

(1) In my PT days there was a regatta held in Bream Bay every year.

It was a two day event titled something like "Upper North Island Paper Tiger Challenge" and the idea was that Northland boats could race without the journey down country, and the Auckland boats got to travel north. It was open to all small cats, and run, IIRC, jointly by the NZPTOA and Marsden YC.

Not certain, but I think even TC may have attended a few of these.

Maybe something similar could be organised for bigger boats? Plan it for a 3day weekend, and visitors could take friday off to sail there (from Aucks or BOI) and sail home again on Monday.

I'm sure Whangarei Cruising Club could put on some entertainment at Parua Bay. Maybe they could even organise some parking in case the weather doesn't play ball.

This could provide the chance for all the north-based boats to sail on slightly more local waters. 

and (2)... Shamelessly borrowed idea from Thornbury SC in SW England. Family week.

A fun race week, with a whole heap of crazy fun events. BBQ for breakfast each day, teams organised to each cook a communal dinner each night. BYO Lunches 'cos we'd be out racing/cruising/whatever.

Fun races, perhaps one where you have to take the dinghy ashore to pick up a tag a few times at strategic points, kind of like orienteering, but in boats.

Perhaps a wheel race, where six or seven points  are chosen as rounding marks, and all must be rounded the same way (port/stbd) but in any order, except that you must round the centre "hub" after each mark.

Prizes awarded for race winners (HCP) as well as best oopsie, worst dressed, youngest person seen on the helm, or anything else the OD sees fit.

At TSC we also had a marquee, with karaoke etc on in the evenings, not sure whether that bit could be done.

A couple of random ideas...

(1) In my PT days there was a regatta held in Bream Bay every year.

It was a two day event titled something like "Upper North Island Paper Tiger Challenge" and the idea was that Northland boats could race without the journey down country, and the Auckland boats got to travel north. It was open to all small cats, and run, IIRC, jointly by the NZPTOA and Marsden YC.

Not certain, but I think even TC may have attended a few of these.

Maybe something similar could be organised for bigger boats? Plan it for a 3day weekend, and visitors could take friday off to sail there (from Aucks or BOI) and sail home again on Monday.

I'm sure Whangarei Cruising Club could put on some entertainment at Parua Bay. Maybe they could even organise some parking in case the weather doesn't play ball.

This could provide the chance for all the north-based boats to sail on slightly more local waters. 

and (2)... Shamelessly borrowed idea from Thornbury SC in SW England. Family week.

A fun race week, with a whole heap of crazy fun events. BBQ for breakfast each day, teams organised to each cook a communal dinner each night. BYO Lunches 'cos we'd be out racing/cruising/whatever.

Fun races, perhaps one where you have to take the dinghy ashore to pick up a tag a few times at strategic points, kind of like orienteering, but in boats.

Perhaps a wheel race, where six or seven points  are chosen as rounding marks, and all must be rounded the same way (port/stbd) but in any order, except that you must round the centre "hub" after each mark.

Prizes awarded for race winners (HCP) as well as best oopsie, worst dressed, youngest person seen on the helm, or anything else the OD sees fit.

At TSC we also had a marquee, with karaoke etc on in the evenings, not sure whether that bit could be done.

Some great ideas there! :-)