Two reefs or three

Currently designing a new main for VB and debating the topic of reefs points for the new sail. It's going to be a square top carbon job bigger than the old one (which we have never ever reefed) and I'm in the centre of a family discussion as to wether it should have two reefs or three. I think it only needs two as we are just gulf cruising and not planning anything further off shore. We've only got two reef lines and if it gets that windy my plan is to not actually be out there anyway!

Second reef will put the top of the sail sail just above the top spreaders and inner forestay/staysail attachment point and after that it's going to be a case of electing not to be out there.

Convince me otherwise...

Definitely 3 reefs, the last one at 50% of the luff. It's NZ. Hauraki Gulf can change in a heart beat. Also, there is the 'Sunday Factor' where you just have to get home for work.

Needs to be matched with orange storm jib on inner forestay, to support the mast and keep good helm balance.

No it's not a sexy look for the boat. But it does get you home safely, and gives you a nice option to survive unexpected conditions.

Especially on a cruising boat; why would you worry about the weight of the reef.

I think it should be compulsory on all yachts to have this set up.

There have been many times on Pulse where he deep reef has got us out of trouble and home safe. I got caught in Kawau Bay recently and flew a hull with two reefs in (ask Jason, he was there!) and was happy to have the third one.

Remember a forecast of 35 knots can produce local gusts approaching 50.