HYDE SAILS

Has anyone had a set made from the Philippine loft?

Thinking of getting mainsail made,sail maker reckons cheaper for a standard Dacron sail to be made and shipped than local?is this correct?

The real issue is being absolutely certain of what you are getting. I looked at offshore lofts, or even Kit sails from Sailrite. Once the correct specifications I wanted was reached (Right cloth, design, fittings etc) they were less than 20% cheaper than local sails. My new main will come from Norths, here in Auckland. PM Booboo on this site for a price/info, or click the Norths Advert.

Support our Advertisers!

I have looked hard at sail lofts in Asia, and although some sails are well made, I would still support a locally cut and stitched product, purely because I want to support local.

If the local sailmakers lose our support, there will be a tipping point where the local lofts are no longer sustainable, and we no longer have the choice. Everything will come from China. Without the local competition or choice, after all sails start to come from Asia and the locals are gone, the cheaper asian product will escalate in price to be the same as or more expensive than the original locally made product, but will still be a cheap offshore quality. It's already happened with tools...

I try very hard to prevent the loss of that consumer choice and harder still to help maintain the realistic price of good quality.

• Upvote 3

That is a large difference. How long does it take to save the extra 1000?

Just wondering. I know it's not easy.

But it's not going to get easier unless we support each other.

my problem is a mainsail nz $2200  hyde $1200 3 seperate quotes

Are the quotes comparing the same sail, batten layout, reefs and cloth? You could assume all dacron's are similar in price but in actual fact some can be double the price per m to others. I know Hyde use Challange PC which is very low end.

Talk to the NZ agent for Hyde - Fyfe Sails, ask him about different dacron's. The other problem is they won't ship full battens. But you could do a lot worse up here than Hyde!

John Ruskin wrote the below quote in the early 1800's, it is still just as valid today (perhaps more so).

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When
you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay
too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you
bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The
common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a
lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well
to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will
have enough to pay for something better.”

little bit of a delay but sails are there way finally,6/8 weeks,but got pushed back as they had to make 10 sets for some one design class asap.Hoping to be landed this weekend,so all going well midweek pick up .I can feel a sick day coming on. main with 2 full length battens and 2 1/2 battens lower down to reduce tension on leash?no 2 headsail without uv strip.Just means removing end of weekend but no biggie.  On the nz agent front Kenny Fyfe is getting out and apparently his boys are doing shade sails,so went Brent Gilles?botany,he has all the various sample clothes and we settled on his recommendation for longish lasting cruising cloth with a bit of club/social racing.Contender cloth/dacron